Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: AIWB and the 1911

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Here are results from a series of drop test.

I would feel better with a FP safety, but few 1911s have them.

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm
    Is every drop in that test with the gun falling muzzle-down?

The picture implies that is the case but I didn't see that stated.

So a dropped straight on the muzzle discharge is unlikely. And the use of a Ti pin can introduce other issues, such as light strikes thereby having to increase mainspring weight, and decreasing recoil spring weight (which has lead to feeding issues in my particular gun). Is there an error in keeping an XP firing pin spring and a steel pin and realizing you don’t pass CA drop testing?

I’d assume since that’s the way these guns were originally designed/built, and how many come from the factory, that there wouldn’t be any increase negligent liability to run a steel pin?

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    So a dropped straight on the muzzle discharge is unlikely. And the use of a Ti pin can introduce other issues, such as light strikes thereby having to increase mainspring weight, and decreasing recoil spring weight (which has lead to feeding issues in my particular gun). Is there an error in keeping an XP firing pin spring and a steel pin and realizing you don’t pass CA drop testing?

I’d assume since that’s the way these guns were originally designed/built, and how many come from the factory, that there wouldn’t be any increase negligent liability to run a steel pin?
    You'll have to experiment to determine if you'll run into light strikes with a Ti firing pin. Many people do not have issues.

Alternatively, running a steel pin with a Wolff Extra Power firing pin spring shouldn't result in any issues and will add amount more drop safety. You could also try the Wolff Extra Extra Power spring (not included in any of the drop tests quoted before), but that may cause light strikes (probably not, but you never know).

If I was worried about it, I'd order a handful of Wolf FP springs at various weights and a Ti firing pin and experiment to determine what ran. If the Ti pin and XP spring was a problem, I'd try Steel with the XP XP spring, and if that was a problem, then steel with XP spring.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I think @Wayne Dobbs has some experience with this.
    I think I remember the story.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You'll have to experiment to determine if you'll run into light strikes with a Ti firing pin. Many people do not have issues.

Alternatively, running a steel pin with a Wolff Extra Power firing pin spring shouldn't result in any issues and will add amount more drop safety. You could also try the Wolff Extra Extra Power spring (not included in any of the drop tests quoted before), but that may cause light strikes (probably not, but you never know).

If I was worried about it, I'd order a handful of Wolf FP springs at various weights and a Ti firing pin and experiment to determine what ran. If the Ti pin and XP spring was a problem, I'd try Steel with the XP XP spring, and if that was a problem, then steel with XP spring.
    BK14 what 1911 do you have? Is it stock right now?

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    BK14 what 1911 do you have? Is it stock right now?
    Range Officer Operator. Not stock. Aftermarket bushing/extractor/slide stop/firing pin stop/thumb safety/mainspring/magwell/bushing/mag release. Only stock internals are barrel, ignition, and grip safety. New ejector after original broke. ILS replaced with a 18 or 19 lbs mainspring, can’t remember, using a 13 lbs recoil spring, steel firing pin, and XP firing pin spring. Internal work done by Springfield and a local/reputable smith. And sights. Waiting on a new front still.

Name:  6D9C627A-D8D2-4AE0-9C90-BC4DC530909B.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  82.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Range Officer Operator. Not stock. Aftermarket bushing/extractor/slide stop/firing pin stop/thumb safety/mainspring/magwell/bushing/mag release. Only stock internals are barrel, ignition, and grip safety. New ejector after original broke. ILS replaced with a 18 or 19 lbs mainspring, can’t remember, using a 13 lbs recoil spring, steel firing pin, and XP firing pin spring. Internal work done by Springfield and a local/reputable smith. And sights. Waiting on a new front still.
    I was wondering if it was a Springfield. I was going to say you probably had a Ti firing pin, but I guess you know you don't.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I kinda wish the thread had pictures of 1911's and appendix holsters.
    Ask and you shall receive!

Springfield Ronin worked over by Nighthawk Custom. JMCK AIWB Full Guard with a Mastermind Pillow Wedge.

When I holster I place my thumb under the safety to hold it up in place. As my thumb makes contact with the top of the guard the downward movement of holstering pushes my thumb even harder upward on the safety, which further ensures it's in the "on position" until it forces my thumb to ride from underneath the safety. This grip also tends to break contact with the grip safety which activates it as well.

Hope this helps.

Name:  1911AIWB.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  74.2 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I was wondering if it was a Springfield. I was going to say you probably had a Ti firing pin, but I guess you know you don't.
    Had is correct. Not sure when, or why, but at some point I was under the impression a steel pin would make the gun more reliable/durable, so I replaced the stock one with a steel one. I don’t think I know where the old one is at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Ask and you shall receive!

Springfield Ronin worked over by Nighthawk Custom. JMCK AIWB Full Guard with a Mastermind Pillow Wedge.

When I holster I place my thumb under the safety to hold it up in place. As my thumb makes contact with the top of the guard the downward movement of holstering pushes my thumb even harder upward on the safety, which further ensures it's in the "on position" until it forces my thumb to ride from underneath the safety. This grip also tends to break contact with the grip safety which activates it as well.

Hope this helps.

Name:  1911AIWB.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  74.2 KB
    What mag pouch is that? I’ve got a JM (seen above) but need to replace the clip with a monoblock. It tends to roll out since there’s no extra length.

User Tag List