Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.0 range day

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is what I don't understand. People passionate about this sport, and in improving their skills, are constantly benchmarking their performance, looking for improvement. A pursuit driven by data as opposed to what they "already know."

You mention that you went out in the snow and shot a brand new gun briefly, and during that little bit of shooting managed a PR on a Bill drill and a plate rack run. For most of us, that would be a wonderful thing (the PR not the different gun part), and we would be dissecting that performance, trying to figure out why and how to replicate it tomorrow. Now you deflect ithe performance as if they were just luck or not worthy, because it was a speed and not accuracy drill. Is that because the result does not conform to your one platform/one serial number philosophy, or something completely different?

I learn things shooting all the time, many of which I had no idea of until they just happened.
    Go reread post 11 and please stop assuming your interests in shooting are the same as mine. Or your analysis of my motivations or thought process.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Funny story that no one can verify the veracity of (you'll just have to assume I'm not a self aggrandizing d-bag -- which might be difficult for some), but back in May of 2010 based upon a discussion about simplifying/improving the autoloader on the now defunct FT&T (firearmstrainingandtactics.com) forum, Todd and I discussed via email a pistol design that automatically ejected a magazine when empty (either when the last round leaves the magazine or after the last round is fired) and then automatically releases the slide when a fresh magazine is inserted. I've got sketches of it in one of my old notebooks somewhere. It was going to be the "next" project we worked on after the gadget -- and then life got stupid/complicated. During the (long) period of complication, Cobalt Kinetics came out with their CARS (Cobalt Advantage Reload System) system which is pretty much exactly what we were talking about, but for the AR.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
    I actually can verify the veracity of the story because I had the same conversation with Todd, and he mentioned that you already had some drawings and thought the system could work in an autoloading pistol.

I still think it's odd that several new pistols have come out in the intervening time and none of them:

• Automatically eject the magazine when empty
    • Mechanically send the slide forward when inserting a loaded magazine
    • Integrate the slide stop function with the magazine release (some ARs and aftermarket AR devices do this already as well)
    • Provide for the mounting of non-reciprocating red dot sights.

I'd be happier if a "new" pistol would simply apply the "grippy" texture to the area of the grip where it would provide the most benefit.
    Last edited by joshs; 01-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Well, SLG, I hope you've learned your lesson that "no good deed goes unpunished". (I can certainly understand folks having or asking questions...but this scab picking makes me shake my head. WTF?)

(Back to monitoring the thread.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Sorry what is "the Gadget?"

EDIT: How was the grip under recoil?
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 01-09-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    LL, I don't have 1911 AIWB experience. Is it best practice to ride the hammer, or hold the thumb safety in the "safe" position?
    It's my practice, so probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    pistol design that automatically ejected a magazine when empty and then automatically releases the slide when a fresh magazine is inserted
    Would it go 'ping?'

Is there any way you could get it to smash the crap out of my thumb when I load it?

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    The button(?) between the take down lever and the slide release is what I'm asking about,
    From front to back it's take down lever, slide release, and safety.
    Last edited by Drang; 01-09-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Also, the safety is almost as good as a 1911. Almost.
    Question: is this statement in regards to placement or feel?

What size gloves are you wearing in your pic? (I'm hoping that this will help me relate your hand size to mine)

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    From front to back it's take down lever, slide release, and safety.
    I think the feature folks are asking about is this thingy:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  10.1 KB
    and from the photos it sure looks to me like an alternative spring for keeping the slide release from disengaging when a magazine is seated, which is a common feature or a bug with M&Ps.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Also, the safety is almost as good as a 1911. Almost.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Question: is this statement in regards to placement or feel?
    Is it in the same spot as prior M&Ps?

User Tag List