Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.0 range day

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Another 2.0 data point. Good news, bad news.

The bad first. Before shooting the gun I went to pull the slide off and put some lube on the gun. The sear deactivation lever fell out of the gun.
    Nothing like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I spent yesterday morning with our LE sales rep and a couple of 2.0 pistols ( both 4.25" guns). There were representatives from three surrounding agencies there also, as well as our range staff and a few other people from my agency. We are a 9mm agency, but the sales rep only had 40 cal 2.0's. He brought one with and one without a thumb safety. Apparently the LE sales department only got their guns a couple of days ago, vs. the commercial side who've had them for a while. I listened to the presentation and asked a few questions.

Some random thoughts:

The trigger is nice. Nice enough that I would not feel the need to put any Apex parts into the gun.

The stippling is aggressive. You could tone it down by giving it a "kiss" with fine grit sand paper. But for a duty gun, I really liked it, especially when shooting the gun. It did not move in the hand, at all.

The finish is no longer Melonite. Something similar that began with an A, but I forgot what it was called. Still a heat treated finish, but S&W doesn't own the patent for Melonite, so they apparently came up with their own finish.

The magazines and back straps are interchangeable from the original to the 2.0.

The slide assemblies are not interchangeable from the original to the 2.0.

The chassis on the 2.0 that holds the slide rails is longer. The slide rails are huge compared to an original M&P.

The slide stop has been redesigned. Those little welds are gone, replaced with a protrusion. The slide stop no longer can be pulled out without drifting a pin.

The trigger bar has been redesigned and that little candy cane loop is gone. Our armors got very excited about changes in the trigger bar and how it related to making their life simpler.

The 2.0 is 3 ounces lighter than the original gun in the same caliber.

The takedown tool to remove the back strap has been changed. It's much easier to get out when brand new. It contained a lanyard loop that was rated to pull a 300 pound man. But it's subtile looking. I don't know that I would ever need it, but I liked it. Not sure why...

The little horizontal bar looking thing in front of the slide stop is a press fitted bar. Inside is a spring that activates this smaller bar looking thing that you will see press against the slide stop. It's to help reduce auto forwarding. I'm sure it had a technical name, but I forgot.

The finish looked the same as the last batch of original guns we purchased for the current recruit class ( I want to say the last batch of guns are about 3-5 months old(?)

The 2.0 is not the same gun submitted for the Army XM-17 trials. It is based off of that gun, but with various changes and improvements that came out of the trial.

Shooting the guns:

We set up two OPOTA targets and set up blue barrels at 10 yards to use as tables. A pair of 40 caliber original M&P's were borrowed from deputies attending. One original and one 2.0 gun were set up at each barrel so that the shooter could compare the difference.

I grabbed two loaded magazines and went first.

I'm right handed and am currently having some tendinitis in my right elbow. And I haven't shot a 40 cal gun in years. I fired three rounds from each gun two handed. I noticed the 2.0 seemed to track just slightly better. I tried one handed shooting, but my elbow decided it was a bad idea. So I shot weak hand only for about 5 rounds through each gun. The 2.0 had slightly less felt recoil, despite being 3 ounces lighter. I finished up the rounds in both guns shooting two handed at some speed.

I then watched everyone else shoot. Without sounding like a prick, I'm glad the shooting was done at 10 yards. Some of the people in attendance were struggling to keep rounds within the silhouette of the OPOTA target. I would like to be kind to them and blame it on the guns, but this included both of the people who donated their issued duty pistols...

Ejection was very consistent.

For those who actually could shoot, groups were well centered and to the point of aim.

There were no malfunctions and all magazines dropped free.

IF the sales rep is to be taken at face value, the 9mm guns have been shot with all bullet weights and there is no accuracy issues.

I would like to see a variety of loads shot through a 9mm gun at 25 yards from a bench. Call me cynical...

To be honest, I walked in yesterday expecting to be under impressed. That didn't happen. With a very limited exposure to the 2.0, I really liked it. That surprised me.

What did happen is our Range Master made arrangements for some 9mm T&E guns to be delivered so we can spend 3-4 months with them.

My thoughts on the 2.0? If the 25 yard accuracy is what it is being portrayed on the internet to be, then I will wait a couple of months. But I will buy one.

As long as they don't screw it up somehow, I feel that the 2.0 is going to save the M&P series.

I'll be really interested in seeing a M&P9c 2.0...
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 01-13-2017 at 10:23 AM.

I believe they're calling the finish "armornite". Correct me if im wrong.

Also, how does an LE rep show up to a demo without 9mm guns? That's just....yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Also, how does an LE rep show up to a demo without 9mm guns? That's just....yeah....
    Harbinger of the inevitable fo'tay comeback?
    Last edited by Greg; 01-13-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstate View Post
    Question for those with a 2.0:

Does the new finish have a dull parkerized look? Almost like an AR barrel?

The reason I ask is that my recent production 1.0 has a finish like this. It is noticeably different than my older pistols
    Negative. My 2.0 is a smooth black finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I believe they're calling the finish "armornite". Correct me if im wrong.

It is called armornite. Did some googling and S&W made a post in the industry section of Arfcom saying it is simply Melonite under a different name because of trademark issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Negative. My 2.0 is a smooth black finish.

Ok. I will try to get a pic to show the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstate View Post
    Ok. I will try to get a pic to show the difference
    I have three of the original M&P's, of three different model years. And all three have different finishes. OR AT LEAST the qualitative texture and sheen of the finishes are different.

Two different shooters. 25 yards using a balled up windbreaker for a rest.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List