Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion on advanced trigger technique/skills

Discussion on advanced trigger technique/skills

There is a thread on M4C here:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1159116

by ssdsurf discussing advanced trigger technique/skills. He goes into a lot of detail in his video (linked in the thread) on how he presses the trigger and discusses things I've never considered before. I was hoping we could get a parrell discusion going on here on the same subject. For instance he talks about breaking the shot in the middle of the arc of your trigger finger movement so that when the shot breaks the presure on the trigger is straight back. He also discusses shooters being mis-diagnosed by trainers who simply say they're putting too much or to little finger on the trigger and not looking at how the trigger is being pulled or what's going on with the grip.

I know a lot of these topis have been discussed before (reference section and other threads) but hoped they could be rehashed/expanded upon here and maybe squeez some more info out of the folks in the "know".

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -- Shunryu Suzuki
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -- Shunryu Suzuki
    Also from S.S. in "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" - "If you have a cow or a horse and truly want to control it; set it loose in an open field." I love that shit.

I'm still trying to understand that arc thing. I am pleased to comprehend I think his explanation of the first knuckle point at the target on pulling a Glock trigger. I struggled for a long time long ago trying to use just the pad on the Glock and didn't get a handle on it until I "choked up" a little and damn, turns out where I ended up is that Surf first knuckle thing. I need to re-listen/read up on this arc thing.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Not to bag on someone I don't know, but that video seemed like taking a fairly simple concept (pulling the trigger) and making it WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

Agree. I still watched it again tho. Surf has some great vids.

Press the trigger without disturbing the sights.
    That's about as advanced as it gets in trigger manipulation.
    When I stopped worrying about my finger and concentrated on what my sights were telling me, my trigger control improved tremendously.
    Amazing how that works.

That video was 28 minutes out of my life that I will never get back.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Removed comment. Not germane to topic.
    Last edited by Shellback; 12-07-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Interesting, there's very different and completely opposite reactions to the presented material on both forums.
    Surf has some good shooting vids up and about these trigger vids, not all of this is so obvious to everyone. I had already got the trigger finger part. If there's a secret about the "arc" I am not privy to it yet. But I am starting to think my long fingers must be the perfect match to G17s.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-07-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: removed reference to other forums
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Even after 40+ years of pretty close study of pistol shooting, I'm open to new ideas about trigger work. Kyle Lamb's book on pistol shooting suggested a couple ideas I had not come across. One being that for precision, he recommends more finger. For max speed, less finger. Can't say I ever heard of that put just like that before. Doesn't mean I'm gonna change what I've spent a lot of money to get decent at but food for thought.

User Tag List