Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quantitative Ammunition Selection the book

Quantitative Ammunition Selection the book

A good read or a waste of time? Its only $2.99 for the Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTJ0VTU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

In Quantitative Ammunition Selection, Charles Schwartz presents an accessible mathematical model that allows armed professionals and lawfully-armed citizens to evaluate the terminal ballistic performance of self-defense ammunition using water as a valid ballistic test medium.

[. . . ]

The quantitative model is clearly presented with illustrated computational examples that provide guidance to the armed professional in every aspect of the model's application.

In years gone by, I would buy such a book, just to have the joy of doing some mathematics again.
    Now I don't even have a mild curiosity.

I blame Doc for snuffing out that spark of fun. There is really no excitement in looking up his recommended ammo and just using that.

Doc, can't you introduce some obscure mathematics to explain you preferred ammo? I want to relearn Quaternions and fluid Vortices, if only these were required to determine the ammo with the most effective "non-linear stopping power gradient profile" and "dynamic knock down terminal matrix".

Its hard to take this stuff seriously when Doc does not even like the modern gels which are "similar" to gelatin, let alone trying to use the one medium which was probably tried and discredited first.

"Accessible mathematical models" and accurate predictions of complex real world phenomena are 180.00 degrees out of phase.

I wonder what they use for a vital hit % factor?

This formula seems to work pretty well..

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    The keys are:

-- Cultivate a warrior mindset
    -- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
    -- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system
    -- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I wonder what they use for a vital hit % factor?

This formula seems to work pretty well..
    For example?

Quote Originally Posted by QED View Post
    For example?
    The research and/or life experiences of many on this forum, as well as the giants who have gone before us. In my own limited view, I have had three separate instructors, each with over a decade of SMU service, say essentially the same thing. Personally, I think ammo has too much thinking time dedicated to it by the individual, akin to a new lifter buying a cupboard full of supplements instead of just putting in the hard work. Train the mind and body and get reliable gear, period.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    ....akin to a new lifter buying a cupboard full of supplements instead of just putting in the hard work. Train the mind and body and get reliable gear, period.
    That's a good comparison. There is no magic pill and no magic bullet.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    ...no but creatine does work tho

But magic bullets, even at damn-near disrespectful prices, are still easier for many than even a moderate (by P-F standards) level or training/competency.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    The research and/or life experiences of many on this forum, as well as the giants who have gone before us. In my own limited view, I have had three separate instructors, each with over a decade of SMU service, say essentially the same thing. Personally, I think ammo has too much thinking time dedicated to it by the individual, akin to a new lifter buying a cupboard full of supplements instead of just putting in the hard work. Train the mind and body and get reliable gear, period.
    I see that an example of the "formula" you referred to is not any formula from QAS, but "the four keys formula." I was actually curious about any useful terminal ballistics formula introduced in QAS -- since it was written by a fellow with a B.S. in psychology. Regarding too much time thinking about ammo and its effects -- I'll surely never come anywhere close to some who have devoted a good part of their lives to the subject, Dr. Fackler, for example. However, I am glad that he did and I find his published work useful and enjoyable read. But, to each his own.

User Tag List