Thread: Wildlife Officer Shot Five Times in Morehouse Parish LA

Wildlife Officer Shot Five Times in Morehouse Parish LA

From the morning Monroe LA newspaper....

Name:  636193811581025700-tyler-wheeler-graduation-1.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  20.5 KB

A wildlife agent who was shot five times while making an overnight traffic stop in Morehouse Parish is in critical but stable condition at University Health in Shreveport, incoming Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Secretary Jack Montoucet told USA Today Network Saturday afternoon.

Senior Agent Tyler Wheeler, 25, of Monroe, was shot just after 2 a.m. Saturday on the southbound lane of U.S. 165 between Bastrop and Sterlington in the Perryville area.

Two suspects, including a woman, were in custody following a Louisiana State Police manhunt, Morehouse Parish Sheriff Mike Tubbs said, but no official arrests have been made.

"It's a very active investigation," Trooper Michael Reichardt said.

Montoucet flew from Lafayette to Shreveport on Saturday to offer support to Wheeler and his family.

"The next 36 to 72 hours are critical," Montoucet said. "We're doing a lot of praying. I just wanted to make sure the family knows we're going to provide whatever support is needed."

Wheeler's father, Darren Wheeler, an assistant principal at Ouachita Junior High School, said in a Facebook post his son was shot five times — twice in the arm, once in the shoulder, once in the jaw and once in the left temple.

Darren Wheeler's Facebook post was also optimistic about his son's prognosis and said Gov. John Bel Edwards called the family.

"All Doctors are saying how good he is doing with all that has happened ... Got to meet with Dr. Nanda. He was very positive and excited how good he is doing. He feels he will be fine. ... Thanks for all the prayers. They are working. Thanks to the response from The LDWF from the top down and all surrounding (law enforcement officers). They have been very supportive. Governor Edwards has reached out and called Haley. It is a wait and see game now, but all is positive so far because Tyler is a fighter."

Tubbs said the suspects were driving a stolen white Jeep.

Wheeler made the stop at 2:06 a.m. A second LDWF agent arrived on the scene at 2:15 a.m. and found Wheeler on the ground. He was able to radio a distress call to LDWF dispatch, secure the scene, notify local emergency medical services and provide assistance to Wheeler.

EMS personnel stabilized Wheeler on the scene and prepared him for air transport. Wheeler was airlifted to Shreveport about 4 a.m.

Wheeler has been an LDWF agent for about two years and is married with one child.

He is the second LDWF agent in three years to be shot while making a traffic stop.

Agent Scott Bullitt was shot and partially paralyzed while on patrol in Ouachita Parish in May 2015.

The man who shot Bullitt, Luke Hust, was convicted last year and sentenced to life without the possibility of probation or parole.

Prayers for the young officer and his family....rot in hell for the scum that did this!

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Prayers for the young officer and his family....rot in hell for the scum that did this!
    You said it best...I couldn't agree more.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Prayers sent for the wounded agent, and his wife, child and friends.

Urgent prayer sent.

Prayers sent for the wounded agent, and his wife, child and friends.

Just a brief update.....

The agent was shot by a 31 year old woman from Monroe....she and her male companion were driving a stolen Jeep. The stop was at 2:06am, and another agent arrived as back-up at 2:15 to find Wheeler on the ground. Apparently he's making a remarkable recovery, and the doctors and his family appear very optimistic.

Either bring back public hangings, or firing squads with public participation. After due diligence of the legal system, of course. I know I'd sign up to take some shots.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Glad to hear he is recovering.

It would be nice if more examples could be made of those who try this and maybe put a stop to it.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 01-10-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Glad to hear he is recovering.

It would be nice if more examples could be made of those who try this and maybe put a stop to it.

Right on!!!

Particularly here in N. Louisiana, as I suspect in Texas, there's little or no sympathy for folks to attack LEOs....

The woman shooter can expect to spend the rest of her life as a guest of the La Dept of Corrections, and her accessory will spend many years behind bars as well. Good riddance!

George

Yea. But you (and, I suspect, me) will be paying for her life time behind bars. I want prison reform where inmates earn their keep.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List