Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson H9

Interview with the owners/designers, 50 minutes so probably not worth your time unless you share my weird taste and optimism for this pistol

Takeaways:
    -grips are not 1911 compatible, but VZ grips is making them so should be some options
    -chassis design a la p320. Grip frame has replaceable backstrap and has the potential to be deeply modified without risking destroying the serial #'d part
    -thumb safeties are modular (none, left, right, or ambj) and sold separately. Glock dingus is standard.
    -can change trigger pull weight by replacing the 1911-style leaf spring (if I understood that correctly)
    -lots of claims of very low recoil due to combination of recoil spring in line with wrist and low bore axis
    -if they can recover their R&D costs, will be making subcompacts, long slides, aluminum frame, etc.
    Last edited by TicTacticalTimmy; 01-17-2017 at 12:04 AM.

It actually looks like a really solid USPSA production/IDPA gun once they make enough of them to qualify for those divisions. CZ type weight and if the lowered dustcover/spring further reduces recoil, it looks great for that on paper. Intrigued since it's made close to home too. As much as I hate to be an early adopter, I admit I am tempted.

This is just my own half assed bias but over the years I've gotten this idea that a pistol weight in the 30-35 oz range was a sweet spot for handling and yet not excessively heavy on the belt. Not too hot, not too cold. Just right. 4" K frames, the Combat Commander come to mind.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Agree, I was shooting just yesterday with a gun that looks a whole lot like a Combat Commander.

Nostalgia Alert: I remember being a bug-eyed kid eating up the Gun Digest. Colt and S&W listed their handgun weights in ounces, even to the half ounce. Browning was more straightforward: "Two pounds."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm about 99% ready to take a flyer on one.
    Same here. I'm definitely not an early adopter (still carry 1980s guns), but this pistol intrigues me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Not sure how to embed videos from Instagram but here's some more shooting footage. It does shoot very flat.
    Edit: It also chunks brass! And not at your face ala #Perfection

http://instagram.com/p/BPWHzB3l8CJ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPWHzB3l8CJ/
    I'll be picking one up as soon as humanly possible. I don't usually jump on something like this, but given the interesting design, and seeing it run properly, it looks like it will be an amazing gun to shoot. I'm also a big proponent of not having to mess with a gun to get it to extract/eject properly. That's what's keeping me in and out of glocks lately. A dirty and beat Beretta 92FS Centurion I picked up and put wilson guts in (trigger, TRS, RSA, hammer spring, Stock everything else), ejected properly with authority since I picked it up. Punches nice groups too.

I have a feeling this gun will shoot as sweet or sweeter than a P7M8 which is blasphemy I know, but if it stays that flat in my hands, it might nose her out. We'll see.
    Last edited by navyman8903; 01-19-2017 at 08:55 PM.

I want to like the H9. No, I haven't shot it or even seen it. They seem like the underdog and I like rooting for the underdog. My concern about buying one right off is that this could be the next Bren Ten. Dornaus and Dixon barely got production going when they fell off the face of the earth. Half the guns shipped out without magazines. Not a big deal if you shiny new gun uses a commonly produced magazine, but if its proprietary, and you have no magazine, you have an interesting single shot paperweight. Or if they go under, where do you get parts? I sincerely wish them the best, but I won't partake until they have a record to stand on.

Another option would be to license the revolutionary design to a proven company, like say Bushmaster, where they can take it to the next level... Okay, maybe not.

I do want to try one.
    Last edited by Inkwell 41; 01-19-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    I want to like the H9. No, I haven't shot it or even seen it. They seem like the underdog and I like rooting for the underdog. My concern about buying one right off is that this could be the next Bren Ten. Dornaus and Dixon barely got production going when they fell off the face of the earth. Half the guns shipped out without magazines. Not a big deal if you shiny new gun uses a commonly produced magazine, but if its proprietary, and you have no magazine, you have an interesting single shot paperweight. Or if they go under, where do you get parts? I sincerely wish them the best, but I won't partake until they have a record to stand on.

Another option would be to license the revolutionary design to a proven company, like say Bushmaster, where they can take it to the next level... Okay, maybe not.

I do want to try one.
    I share your timidity on plunking down cash on a new design/company, at least for the first year.

However, I'd be willing to bet good money that whatever teething issues this gun has they will be far less severe than Bushmaster/Freedom's most recent attempt to make an interesting pistol: the R51.

Hudson H9

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post

I have a feeling this gun will shoot as sweet or sweeter than a P7M8 which is blasphemy I know, but if it stays that flat in my hands, it might nose her out. We'll see.
    Blasphemer!!

Kidding; be interested to hear your review on how this shoots.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-20-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    My concern about buying one right off is that this could be the next Bren Ten. Dornaus and Dixon barely got production going when they fell off the face of the earth. Half the guns shipped out without magazines. Not a big deal if you shiny new gun uses a commonly produced magazine, but if its proprietary, and you have no magazine, you have an interesting single shot paperweight. Or if they go under, where do you get parts?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh also the magazines are based off the 5906 magazine. Word on the street is you can modify a 3rd Gen Smif mag to fit. They also said that new mags would retail for around $30
    So that's the magazine concern dealt with, then? At least over here I keep seeing Mec-Gar 59-series magazines in lots of places. I can't imagine there'd be less availability of them in the U.S.? Doesn't of course change your point about spare parts.

User Tag List