Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson H9

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That said, I can envision a growth industry repairing, fixing, and maintaining the few thousand Hudsons out there.
    "Growth industry" and "few thousand" don't go together. There are about 20,000 Colt 2000s out in the world and I haven't seen anybody making a living fixing them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    "Growth industry" and "few thousand" don't go together. There are about 20,000 Colt 2000s out in the world and I haven't seen anybody making a living fixing them.
    Agree. Hudson H9s have immediately become unsupported orphans.

I noticed that grabagun concurrently has magazines for sale, at a not unreasonable price of around $36; for anyone who decides to get an H9, my thought is that they should IMMEDIATELY get whatever magazines they envision needing for the lifetime of their ownership, as I suspect once they're gone, they're gonna be gone...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-20-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Thanks.

So can you expand on how the use of subcontractors for the parts that go in a product is such a trap? How is it better to sink a bunch of capital on equipment and hire expertise that someone else already has?

I'm really interested in your take on this.
    The trap occurs when the designer sends the wrong specs to one or more vendors. It also occurs when same vendors might receive correct specs but would fail to produce parts meeting these specs. Failure in such cases is in planning and in communication. I did not imply that Hudson should have had a giant facility where he made his parts. At one time I was a highly trained library researcher. This was long before internet. I used these skills to delve into the Hudson project to the point that I invaded privacy. Insight from my study gave me a gut feeling that the project was doomed. I predicted the outcome but will admit that I could have been been right for the wrong reasons. However, I do not think so. One example from my experience is the time long ago when I bought a high grade Winchester double barrel shotgun. It was a lemon. Olin replaced it with another lemon. At the same time Olin was producing over under rifles. They had many problems. The man at Olin who was in charge of the rifle and shotgun program told me that he put the unshipped rifles to the torch. He also cut up the many shotgun lemons that he was getting back. Olin's resources permitted this action. Hudson lacked financial resources. In both cases a flawed process produced the outcome.

Ian/Forgotten weapons put up a video focused on the Hudson, but with a look at some of the financial realities of firearms manufacturing both today and historically.

"Most firearms companies go bankrupt"

Last edited by Artemas2; 03-20-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The trap occurs when the designer sends the wrong specs to one or more vendors. It also occurs when same vendors might receive correct specs but would fail to produce parts meeting these specs.
    But those things don't happen with parts produced in-house?

Odds of catching an issue in a timely manner when producing parts in house are much greater, particularly with JIT manufacturing. A big red flag will unfurl early on in the process.

Outplant work (with insufficient precautions) means large batches of potential problem parts may be produced before a problem is detected.

True, but the 1911 and AR business is literally built on subcontracted parts manufacturing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    True, but the 1911 and AR business is literally built on subcontracted parts manufacturing.
    And with the industry having something on the order of 109 and 62 years of experience making parts for those platforms, I submit to you the comment that the bugs are largely worked out on those items.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    But those things don't happen with parts produced in-house?
    Of course. The gods were against the project; somebody walked in front of a black cat; maybe a witch doctor put a hex on it. A flawed process defeated the team. Steps should have been taken that were not. Hudson ordered pieces to his puzzle that would not go together. Success depended on the parts going together to make a whole that worked. We know the rest of the story. I foresaw this outcome. I don't know what else I can say.

Had Hudson hired me to work with the design team, I would have been the guy that ran errands, made the coffee, and walked his wife's dog. I would have been the flower and candy man who wrote thank you notes and news releases. As an old dude with white hair who stumbles around, soon I would have noticed that nobody wanted my opinion. I would have correlated offering opinions with being told to clean the toilet and sweeping the floor. So I would have shut up and hoped that my minimum wage check would not bounce.

User Tag List