Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson H9

Just read the Recoil bit they threw on the web. Interesting. I'm not sure if there even is a connection, but since Hudson is based in Temple, TX, I cannot help but wonder about a possible connection to the defunct Legion Firearms. The similarities share some overlap.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by johncorey View Post
    Just read the Recoil bit they threw on the web. Interesting. I'm not sure if there even is a connection, but since Hudson is based in Temple, TX, I cannot help but wonder about a possible connection to the defunct Legion Firearms. The similarities share some overlap.
    I researched them to the point of almost invading privacy. But I used public records. I too saw similarity to Legion Firearms but could not make the connection. I tried. The organization of both ventures indicated similarity. So I will say that the principals must have at least known each other.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I researched them to the point of almost invading privacy. But I used public records. I too saw similarity to Legion Firearms but could not make the connection. I tried. The organization of both ventures indicated similarity. So I will say that the principals must have at least known each other.
    Interesting. The only name I recall from Legion is Adam.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Site Supporter
    The Hudson enterprise encountered too many alligators. The most fearsome was funding. Unforeseen technical issues and dependence on outsourced parts were others. Another monster was a super soft gun market that followed scares in which large numbers of citizens stocked up on firearms. A fifth obstacle may have been a pistol that few wanted. I wanted one, but I also bought a S&W Governor, and I have purchased Kel Tecs. When Mossberg pistols hit the shops, I may buy two. So who were the intended buyers of a funny looking, heavy pistol that retailed for over $1000? You can buy two Glocks instead.

Colt with its vast funding produced a Super Turkey in 1992. They introduced the Colt 2000, also called Colt American. Remington got to the point that they turned out junk. Charter Arms tried but has fallen more than once. Taurus with its large fortune could have but won't. Mossberg can't make their semi auto shotguns run. Kel Tec products have a lackluster history. Hi Point in comparison looks pretty good but don't quote me. I'll deny saying it. In earnest I say bless the Hudson folks. They tried. I for one won't speak harshly about them. Those left holding the bag will. I hope that they can at least make good those guns in their possession for warranty work.
    Last edited by willie; 01-24-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Hudson H9

Bless the people who are willing to chance their money on new companies making guns. Without them, we’d all be rocking 1911s, BHPs, PPKs, and K/L frames.

Not that there would be anything wrong with that.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 01-24-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    If he sells it won't get bought out by a big news company, it'll end up in the hands of Kahr or someone similar. They won't put enough money into refining it, and will will remain a plagued niche model. Which stinks. I really wanted them to succeed.
    I think that's a little unfair to both Kahr and Hudson. I don't think the Hudsons are great business people, but the H9 does appear to work when the parts are in tolerance. If the accusations by the Hudsons against CVMI are true, then chances are the broken guns are broken, because the parts were out of spec.

Now the business mistake was allowing out of spec parts in the guns out the door to begin with. But that's a business, not engineering mistake.

And I think it's unfair to characterize Kahr as being unwilling to refine and improve models. Kahr made a smart move by diversifying its holdings by buying companies and licenses, but importantly, has put real effort in elevating the companies they bought (i.e., Auto Ordnance). The AO 1911s and M1 Carbines used to be the laughing stock of 1911s and M1s, but these days both have an enviable reputation for reliability and quality. Kahr has also, intelligently, kept things like the AO line as a niche, as opposed to trying to force their way into markets they couldn't get firm footing in.

The H9 will always be a niche model, but I suspect, if someone spent the cash and refined it, it could be a very competitive gun in Production with 1911 shooters. If the new owners of the Hudson design get their shit together, they'll re-engineer the gun to run on Glock 17 or Beretta 92 mags. They started with a solid design in the 3rd gen platform, but the Beretta and Glock are more ubiquitous.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Bless the people who are willing to chance their money on new companies making guns. Without them, we’d all be rocking 1911s, BHPs, PPKs, and K/L frames.

Not that there would be anything wrong with that.
    Good thing a bunch of folks decided to chance on that dude Gaston's product...otherwise we might still be viewing the 659 as the epitome of handgun design.

Site Supporter
    Had the chance to fondle one at the LGS (the actual GS - not the ones claiming to be gun shops). i was thoroughly impressed by the layout of everything, the trigger feel for a striker, etc. . I really hope they succeed. I just didn't want to be a beta tester and have very limited holster options, and opted for a Dan Wesson instead.

There’s a bit more to this story than either party admits, I can guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Perhaps I Iack vision and imagination. Even if the H9 functioned ok, I never understood how it could compete against the competition in today's market especially when its cost is considered. Learning their production figures which are or will be published by the feds should make interesting conversation. Then it would be interesting to see how many guns were sold. Possibly sales were so low that they did not sell those made. Much earlier when I was researching the project, they advertised in a local newspaper for a maintenance worker who would also assist with assembly and test firing when he wasn't sweeping and mopping(my terms). At that point, I became unsure about the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Perhaps I Iack vision and imagination. Even if the H9 functioned ok, I never understood how it could compete against the competition in today's market especially when its cost is considered. Learning their production figures which are or will be published by the feds should make interesting conversation. Then it would be interesting to see how many guns were sold. Possibly sales were so low that they did not sell those made. Much earlier when I was researching the project, they advertised in a local newspaper for a maintenance worker who would also assist with assembly and test firing when he wasn't sweeping and mopping(my terms). At that point, I became unsure about the outcome.
    People still pay thousands for stupid 2011s and modified Tanfos in a futile effort to purchase skill, so price isn't necessarily the issue. Anything can be marketed if it has a niche.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-25-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List