Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson H9

I got hands on one today at a local shop. I had high hopes but was fairly disappointed. Grip length/size was good and I liked the forward serrations, they were in a usable place. The mag release was ok, not as bad as a 1911 but could be better for me. The grips were smooth so they'd need replaced with something more aggressive. I dislike hd's so I'd scrap them. The trigger was so different and unexpected that it left a bad taste in my mouth. My finger naturally wanted to land on the bottom of the trigger but with the Hudson that's where the hinge for the trigger tab is and would take a lot of getting used to. I couldn't say it was a bad trigger but it was so different that it threw me for a loop and I wasn't at all impressed. An odd thing that I noticed on the example I played with, to reset the trigger during dry fire, the slide seemed to need to retract noticeably further than other guns that I handled. While I don't know that it would make any difference (I'm sure it wouldn't) it was something that I noticed because doing a normal partial retraction of the slide would simply leave a dead trigger unless it was retracted to the right spot, which seemed pretty far back.

Anyway, I'm glad I handled one as I now have no want whatsoever. Part of the bias may have been associated with the fact that I handled a shadow 2 directly before the Hudson, but either way I'd pay the extra $100 and change for the shadow 2 and leave the hudson in the case.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Anyway, I'm glad I handled one as I now have no want whatsoever. Part of the bias may have been associated with the fact that I handled a shadow 2 directly before the Hudson, but either way I'd pay the extra $100 and change for the shadow 2 and leave the hudson in the case.
    Was your interest in the Hudson from a gaming perspective or an all-around use perspective?

I guess when I handled the H9, my impression was - add a thumb safety - and you had an interesting defensive use platform. Reading the Shadow 2 thread, it doesn't seem like folks are viewing the Shadow 2 as a defensive arm, but as a gaming arm. That said, the other platform I'm considering seriously in lieu of a H9 is an SP01 (steel frame)...which is one of my favorite shooting guns, ever. I love the way they shoot. So, I'm sure I'd love the way the Shadow 2 shoots, but I'm not interested in chasing points for games, so I'd stick with the stock gun over the customized ones.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Was your interest in the Hudson from a gaming perspective or an all-around use perspective?

I guess when I handled the H9, my impression was - add a thumb safety - and you had an interesting defensive use platform. Reading the Shadow 2 thread, it doesn't seem like folks are viewing the Shadow 2 as a defensive arm, but as a gaming arm. That said, the other platform I'm considering seriously in lieu of a H9 is an SP01 (steel frame)...which is one of my favorite shooting guns, ever. I love the way they shoot. So, I'm sure I'd love the way the Shadow 2 shoots, but I'm not interested in chasing points for games, so I'd stick with the stock gun over the customized ones.
    So the original reason for the trip was to check out the hudson. I simply had a day off, some free time, and saw the particular shop post that they had an H9 in stock. I had no intention or much interest in the shadow 2 going in but since it was there and I came upon it first I decided to give it a go. Sort of a "When in Rome" sort of thing, as I generally don't handle guns in a shop unless i'm ready to buy just as general rule for various reasons.

My interest in any of the guns is as a general usage gun but I rarely buy anything without the intent of carrying it or a close analogue to it. I haven't shot uspsa in a few years but the last few years that I did were from aiwb concealed with a p30 so I'm not one to buy a gun just for games. I just had a curiosity to satisfy and unintentionally gained an unnecessary want for the shadow while there.

The Hudson very well could be solid and without actually shooting it and putting in reps, I couldn't make any real claim one way or the other, except that my curiosity has been fulfilled and I just don't have interest in it any longer. It could be that I just didn't like "different". Either way my interest has waned.

Regarding the shadow 2, my above comment was probably a bit tongue in cheek. I wouldn't carry one as they currently sit. If they released a fixed sight, decocker only model, with a smaller mag release then I wouldn't rule it out. But for the price of the hudson I'd opt for something else, for me. Though seeing some guys in the other thread shoot the shadow 2 and carry a p07, that would be an idea to consider for myself but probably will not.

I've actually got an SP01 tactical at the house now and while it is nice I enjoy my beretta's more, the biggest thing being trigger reach/shape, though I think both are nice da/sa guns. But the shadow 2 was certainly a different animal than the sp01 tac, as intended to be I suppose.

I'd still like a chance to shoot a hudson some time but it won't be mine.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post
    Actually, top top complaint I've seen seems to always go to the price--$1100 for a gun that relies on proprietary parts from a tiny start-up is a risky proposition for many.
    I agree with this. I love the feel of a 1911 and hate the grip safety. But I can get guns I know I like for much less than the Hudson.

And, a new-design gun that doesn't include from-the-factory support for red dot mounts seems questionable in today's market.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909
    I think you’re the first person I’ve seen that is interested in these as more than a novelty
    He'll have to change his screen name to "Hudson Harv" if he goes that route.
    Or Hudson Hawk?

I'm interested in this gun, but I am very much a "far trailing edge" type of person. The risk of having a gun made by a company that folded is not one I'm interested in running. If they do, maybe in 30 years, they'll be collector's items, but I'm getting too long in the tooth for that contingency.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Saw one at a gun show yesterday. Dealer wanted $1400.00. Wasn't too excited about people holding it. It felt familiar in hand. Sort of like a 1911 with a touch of P35 thrown in. Slide seemed thinner than a Glock or 1911, but I didn't have either to compare with. I wouldn't want to be an early adopter, but if Hudson sticks around, I might try the aluminum framed gun. An all steel 9mm seems way too heavy after carrying a G19 for so long.

Picked mine up yesterday and have 400 rounds through it thus far. Function is good except for without a mag in the gun a la 10-8 extractor test. Normal usage the gun has been 100% and is a joy to shoot. Without a mag in it, it chokes everyway possible, almost half the time. I ordered a PHLSTER holster for it, and if it makes into the 1500-ish round territory and keeps shooting I'll consider carrying it. After 100 straight rounds with the H9, my glock 19 felt like shooting a 23. It is noticeably softer and flatter and sits DEEP in the hand. Only thing I'd like to change is the grip panels for something more aggressive, and from what I understand, VZ should be offering that in the near future.

Handled one last Saturday. Pretty cool. Unique trigger. Didn't feel like striker. Didn't feel like 1911. But felt nice. 5 lbs I'd guess with a little take up and pretty crisp.

Attachment 23660
    Last edited by JHC; 02-08-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

A question for those who have some trigger time behind the gun:

Do you feel the trigger is as easy to push straight to the rear as a 1911?
    Asking this from the perspective of someone who does NOT ride the reset

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    A question for those who have some trigger time behind the gun:

Do you feel the trigger is as easy to push straight to the rear as a 1911?
    Asking this from the perspective of someone who does NOT ride the reset
    Yes. The trigger is a bow arrangement sliding straight rearward in a track in the frame, just like a 1911. The only hinge-ing motion in the trigger is the trigger dingus being depressed, as discussed, in the unorthodox upward swing. Once that light takeup is dealt with, the trigger slides just like a 1911

User Tag List