Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson H9

Seems that if they hadn't gone with the oddball recoil assembly, which seems kinda gimmicky, this pistol would be talked about in a more favorable light.

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    Seems that if they hadn't gone with the oddball recoil assembly, which seems kinda gimmicky, this pistol would be talked about in a more favorable light.
    Personally the recoil assembly is one of the big draws to this gun for me. Very interested to see how split times with the new Aluminum version compare to a similar weight Glock 17.

I only wish they used a normal 1911 style trigger and had thumb safeties as standard. However, I'm not going to complain that a company I have no affiliation with made something that's not exactly what I want, since it seems like it's pretty damn close.

I got to handle one today and it was nice. Fit and finish we’re great and the trigger was very good and it felt great in my hand. The reset was unbelievable,probably the best I have ever felt. But this has to be ugliest pistol I have ever seen at least to me. It actually makes my Glocks look good but I would like to shoot one.

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    Is the H9 being talked about negatively? Honest question. And is the recoil assembly being viewed as a negative?

My reading is that most folks are liking it or at worst finding it "meh". The top complaints I have seen are:

1) Accuracy concerns. Which could be related to mechanics, but appear to be mostly related to sight selection (U-notch rear, Trijicon HD front).
    2) Some potential feeding issues, associated with weak magazine springs and/or follower drag.
    3) Location of the rail (though no one seems to have tried running different lights to see how it works)
    4) Slow response from Hudson CS regarding issues 1 and 2. Though, Cy Hudson in the Youtube Video above acknowledged this concern and mentioned that Hudson has tripled in size in 6-months. Thus, I'm willing to say, "growing pains, but fix it."
    5) It's ugly.

Site Supporter
    The H9 intrigued me when it was announced quite some time ago. I spent many hours researching its backers and designers and who probably would have a big hand in its manufacture and so on. Digging these facts out required much time and skill. Then I realized that no good would result from my reporting a bunch of stuff that was none of my business so I left it alone. I must say that there was nothing scandalous or unsavory. The curious can go to Google patents and read about the design. It's been a long time since my study, but I remember that a claim is made on the pistol's appearance. Anyway I lost interest.

Here's a link to the patents owned by Billie Cyril "Cy" Hudson III - https://patents.google.com/?inventor...+Hudson%2c+III

1) Appearance
    2) Inner functions of semi-auto pistol
    3) Barrel of semi-auto pistol
    4) Sear of semi-auto pistol

In this day in age of rip-offs of everything - I don't blame anyone for patenting "appearance" of their product. That's a solid business plan right there.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-26-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Here's a link to the patents owned by Billie Cyril "Cy" Hudson III - https://patents.google.com/?inventor...+Hudson%2c+III

1) Appearance
    2) Inner functions of semi-auto pistol
    3) Barrel of semi-auto pistol
    4) Sear of semi-auto pistol

In this day in age of rip-offs of everything - I don't blame anyone for patenting "appearance" of their product. That's a solid business plan right there.
    By getting a design patent on the appearance, they are essentially protecting what they hope will become their trade dress, but before it becomes known and associated by consumers with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Is the H9 being talked about negatively? Honest question. And is the recoil assembly being viewed as a negative?

My reading is that most folks are liking it or at worst finding it "meh". The top complaints I have seen are:

1) Accuracy concerns. Which could be related to mechanics, but appear to be mostly related to sight selection (U-notch rear, Trijicon HD front).
    2) Some potential feeding issues, associated with weak magazine springs and/or follower drag.
    3) Location of the rail (though no one seems to have tried running different lights to see how it works)
    4) Slow response from Hudson CS regarding issues 1 and 2. Though, Cy Hudson in the Youtube Video above acknowledged this concern and mentioned that Hudson has tripled in size in 6-months. Thus, I'm willing to say, "growing pains, but fix it."
    5) It's ugly.
    Actually, top top complaint I've seen seems to always go to the price--$1100 for a gun that relies on proprietary parts from a tiny start-up is a risky proposition for many.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Personally the recoil assembly is one of the big draws to this gun for me. Very interested to see how split times with the new Aluminum version compare to a similar weight Glock 17.
    Aluminum frame performance will definitly boost their credability when it comes to the gains offered by the H9 design. Up until now, Hudson's claim that their 34+ oz 9mm shoots "flat" seems utterly unremarkable; however, translate that to a 26 oz gun and now they've got something to talk about.
    Last edited by ExMachina; 01-26-2018 at 11:31 AM.

I don't know, man. While the Hudson is an interesting design, it's no 2011. The example I played with didn't impress me-- the trigger was garbage, and isn't that the main selling point? Ergos were pretty good, but nothing groundbreaking. I would have to try one that's been worked over before making a final determination. But I will say this: At $1400 plus the cost of a trigger job, I'm about $500 away from a decent 2011 with proven reliability, accuracy, and shootabilty. STI factory magazines are functional out of the box now, btw, since the 2017 revision.

I've actually been interested since the first prototypes came around. Partly because I have an affinity for all steel 9mm handguns and partly because 1911 grip angle.

After getting hands on with one, I can see it being a usable platform for CC -with the thumb safety installed-. Since it looks increasingly like I'll go back to 1911s (see this thread for my recent problems with the P30 that may (or may not) be cured) I'm very interested in double-stack platforms with 1911-driven ergos.

The only thing remotely close to the H9 existing would be a 2011 STI. I actually handled a 2011 and the H9 side-by-side and the H9 is actually a tiny bit more trim, because it isn't made around the .45 ACP cartridge like a 9mm 2011 is. Not too mention the buy in on a reliable STI is about $2k and that's ASSuming you get magazines that work properly. The H9 does appear to have some magazine issues that need to be worked out and the accuracy concerns are another can of worms.

But there is a lot to like about the H9. 1911 ergonomics, steel frame, decent trigger, thumb safety, 15+1 mags (more bullets isn't a point of concern for me), M&P sight cuts make it easy to get sights standardized across platforms. The biggest downsides are the "new maker", "novelty", and rail location. So far Hudson seems to be acquitting itself pretty well. And frankly - it is my expectation that Hudson Mfg as currently exists isn't long for this world, but the H9 is. A smart company will buy the design, rebrand it, and get moving (e.g., Remington buying Rohrbaugh, or Bond Arms buying Boberg)...here's looking at you COLT...

User Tag List