Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson H9

I got a chance to handle and shoot my buddies H9 today.

These are my thoughts:

The pistol is VERY well designed and thought out.

Pro's:

-The cocking serrations are very well thought out. Very easy to manipulate from the front or the rear.
    -The sights are actually quite nice. Extremely visible front sight with a very nicely shaped u-notch with a racking ledge on the rear.
    -The pistol sits REALLY low in the hand, almost awkwardly low. It takes a little getting used to since it sits so low that you almost have nothing sitting above the web of your strong hand. You can feel the mass down low towards the front of the pistol.
    -The magazines load nicely into the beveled magwell. The mag tube itself is very nicely tapered up top so it fits well and reloads quickly.
    -The trigger is nice for a striker fired "duty" style gun. Its crisp, fairly clean and of an adequate weight for a striker pistol.
    -The gun just flat out shoots well. (see what i did there?) It has a VERY nice, soft recoil impulse with a nice slide velocity. The sights recover EXTREMELY well and getting back on target and banging out shots with this thing at speed is just downright easy. The recoil impulse is definitely different due to the design but its not something that is so extremely different so as to be weird.

Cons:

-The trigger safety is friggin weird and gives you an artificial feeling of a VERY long trigger reach. Its awkward and definitely needs an adaptation period.
    -The beavertail design is absolute fucking utter garbage. It is not blended well and there are WAY too many sharp edges where the beavertail integrates with the frame. I really have no idea how the hell this passed the design stage. They put so much time into putting this pistol together and apparently shooting it yet somehow, the sharp edges made it into production? The gun beat me up after just a few magazines and given the sharp edges, I have zero desire to shoot this pistol for an extended period of time. Until this is addressed and the literal HOLES in the rear of the frame are closed off and those edges are dehorned, the pistol is a no go. While i can appreciate a Glock i DONT shoot them because they tear me apart. A tool that damages me is not worth it when there are other options out there. Yeah, I know, harden up, blah blah, grow a penis, blah blah, whatever.
    -The grip panels suck. They're way too smooth and for something that was designed to be a shooter you would think that they would be a little rougher. Its not that huge of a deal since you can change them out with aftermarket parts but for an 1100 dollar pistol, again, you'd think they'd be just a little bit rougher. Granted, I prefer panels that make me bleed so im in the minority when it comes to grip texture.

All in all for the most part, I think that Hudson hit the ball almost out of the park. Im going to call this one a triple and not quite a home run due to the beavertail design. Still, for a first run of a pistol, they really did such a great job and this thing in my mind is NOT a gimmick. I really hope that Hudson succeeds as I want to see what they're going to be producing in the future as well as how they refine their existing products.

This is an exciting time to be a gun owner.
    Last edited by Magsz; 02-12-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Was the bore free of tool marks and the rifling sharp and distinct?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Was the bore free of tool marks and the rifling sharp and distinct?
    I didnt disassemble the pistol so i cannot comment on that.

*Mods: Please delete if I'm overstepping*

It pains me to say that my H9 had to be sold as a sacrifice to the Medical deductible gods. That said, a holster and a couple mags are being posted in the classified section. Since the pistol still has such a niche following, I thought it might be ok to pop a notice in front of the most directly interested parties.

Another reason not be an early adopter I suppose. Cut and pasted from the FB page:

"All,

We've had a few of our customers experience an issue with magazine catches not providing enough purchase, which is causing the magazines to drop during use. We have received a few back and have identified that there is a tool wear issue that is causing the magazine catch to not seat correctly. Since it is a wear issue, there is no serial number range that can be identified.

The fix on our end is to change our inspection criteria to check this surface. However, my bigger concern is that customer's know that if they have this issue, we'll fix it. If you see anyone post about or have this issue, I'd ask you to help point them to support@hudsonmfg.com, so that we can get their H9 running like it is meant to.

We are testing to see if we can modify magazine catches; but, if not, we'll need to get the pistol back to correct the issue.

Thank y'all for supporting Hudson Mfg.

V/r,
    Cy Hudson"

Quote Originally Posted by Qaz98 View Post
    Another reason not be an early adopter I suppose. Cut and pasted from the FB page:

"All,

We've had a few of our customers experience an issue with magazine catches not providing enough purchase, which is causing the magazines to drop during use. We have received a few back and have identified that there is a tool wear issue that is causing the magazine catch to not seat correctly. Since it is a wear issue, there is no serial number range that can be identified.

The fix on our end is to change our inspection criteria to check this surface. However, my bigger concern is that customer's know that if they have this issue, we'll fix it. If you see anyone post about or have this issue, I'd ask you to help point them to support@hudsonmfg.com, so that we can get their H9 running like it is meant to.

We are testing to see if we can modify magazine catches; but, if not, we'll need to get the pistol back to correct the issue.

Thank y'all for supporting Hudson Mfg.

V/r,
    Cy Hudson"
    So you have to have the issue before they will fix it? I hope I'm interpreting that incorrectly...the first instance of failure could happen at a very inconvenient time and I'd like to think Hudson would be willing to correct this proactively

EDIT: I just went to Hudson's FB page to get some more context on this issue and I could not find this post. Nor is it featured anywhere obvious on Hudson's website. I get that it's not a danger to the user so not worthy of a more prominent statement, but for a start-up company charging a premium price for entry it's something that I'd think they'd at least want to make owners aware of. Maybe they have via private email?
    Last edited by ExMachina; 03-14-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I didnt disassemble the pistol so i cannot comment on that.
    I was in my LGS today looking at an old .22magnum, and lo, there it was: the H9. The sales guy and I did strip it and look inside; it’s very clean; no excess tool marks, just looked great. I loved the way it felt in the hand, the sights (sort of ameriglo UC-ish) and the fast trigger reset. For a grand even, I’ll admit to being tempted. I think I’ll wait fir a while to see how things pan out with early adopters, but i might have to try an H9 down the road.

I handled one today after a match but unfortunately didn't get to shoot. I was very impressed with ergos, very. And trigger in dry fire was good. Hopefully, will be able to shoot one at some point.

I really have a want for the Hudson... Not really sure why. I honestly hate being an early adopter of new Guns but something about the H9 is calling me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CDFIII View Post
    I really have a want for the Hudson... Not really sure why. I honestly hate being an early adopter of new Guns but something about the H9 is calling me.
    One was shot next to me in a class Saturday. It had erratic ejection and a failure to extract. Later on the shooter noticed a pin had walked out. It was near the beavertail. I believe he said it's where the safety would go if it had one. He changed guns after that.

Witnessing two separate issues in one day wasn't very confidence inspiring.

User Tag List