Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson H9

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Even if the first few need to be "shot out" and debugged, good. All these new systems/designs/etc need to get shaken out.

In my hierarchy of things:

If the gun is generally reliable, but breaks after X number of rounds > gun is reliable but small parts breakage 86's some tests > gun can't get through a magazine (R51)

I mean, even the Glock M launched a few slides along the way?
    Agreed. The thing that I found really weird was that even in Ian and Karl's 1 hour interview, they never broke down the gun. Especially given Ian's curiosity, I have to imagine that Hudson said "no". Since they said that all this was patented, I can only assume that they didn't do it because it's quite complex inside. So if I were to guess, I'd say that "small parts breakage" is this gun's biggest obstacle right now.

the business strategy part of my brain likes to theorize about future problems instead of current ones.

as such, what's everyone's take on what Hudson's next distinct product should be, after the fullsize H9?
    provided that any remaining issues with the H9 are worked out, and it's sales rollout goes well, what product would you make next if you were them?

H40 - .40 cal version? (substitute whatever caliber instead of .40 you'd like)
    H9 Longslide? H9 Compact?
    H9 XC "Competition Model"? (tailored to whatever USPSA/IDPA etc class)
    H9 DA/SA? (H9 designed but altered somehow to use a hammer setup)
    H9 Carry? (With a polymer frame instead of steel, if it would be as reliable/durable)
    etc.etc.etc.

I think the key killer feature/differentiator for hudson (related to product, not marketing) is the low bore axis/recoil spring location thing, so that must be retained in their future products.
    Close second would be the 1911 like trigger but striker fired thing claimed by marketing.

I'm specifically excluding variants such as a cerakoted model and other simple stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    H9 DA/SA? (H9 designed but altered somehow to use a hammer setup)
    They seemed to be against using a hammer, at least in terms of what they said in one of the interviews. That doesn't rule out DA/SA on its own (Walther P99, anyone?), but it does make it seem less likely. It also seems like there's not tons of demand for DA/SA guns these days, so the added development cost might not be justified by the projected sales numbers.

FWIW, this short video from Media Day has myself and two other shooter pop our 5 measly shots.
    1st shooter...average skill? Then myself and the 3rd guy most likely my equal in recoil control.

Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

whats your take?

Site Supporter
    Why am I getting flashbacks to the Caracal with this gun?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

my notes on the InrangeTV vidya above - to my knowledge the most substantive release of info on the H9 to date (I have not seen recoil magazine article, cause who reads magazines nowadays...)

• Initial discussion of difference between chassis, frame and grip? components of the gun? seems to be some modularity or cartridge type design here, Hudson team did not explain fully or illustrate clearly, perhaps on purpose.
    • locking lug moved up towards muzzle end of gun. internals not shown on purpose - something different is going on here.
    • Confirmed benefit of design having moved recoil spring assembly in terms of recoil impulse and controllability.
    • 1.24 inches wide/thick at grips, just a hair over glock 19. said that slide is slightly thinner than glock...
    • Strong compliments from Carl and Iain on the reset feel of trigger.
    • comparison made to run the trigger like a 2 stage ar trig
    • Said recoil mag guys were ringing 8'' steel at 50M. rapid fire during their test
    • slide and frame are machined from forgings - they posted a few videos of forgings being struck on their IG - will show to one of my engineers at work to see if they can provide some observations
    • 15+1 capacity
    • target ship date of Q2 2017, will ship with 3 mags at MSRP of $1,150 (seems very aggressive but i have no idea where in final validation/production they are)
    • already signed to a number of distributors
    • leaving holster production wide open to market
    • Triji HD sights included
    • Front sight cut is MP front sight dovetail.
    • Rear sight cut is MP front sight dovetail, done to allow sight MFGs to use existing dovetail geometry
    • swappable grip panels. rear of grip is 2 part (bottom and lower?) to allow for addition of swelled bottom piece etc
    • ~7 patents pending
    • close to P226 weight, with H9 having steel frame and Sig aluminium
    • no issues in early testing with various loads and projos (HP and various grains etc)
    • focusing on 9mm H9 - plans for further variants based on demand and market input
    • Polymer frame seems like it would be EXTREMELY difficult but not impossible to have on this design. I think aluminum would be possible with correct alloy but would necessitate new forgings

TOM_JONE -

you need to get in contact with Hudson MFG asap if not done already.

if the H9 design allows for use of a gadget or gadget like device (that would be covered by your patent/s), this is your best present and foreseeable future chance to get the gadget integrated into a new production, from the factory gun (instead of being a niche aftermarket product).
    Last edited by fishing; 01-26-2017 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    FWIW, this short video from Media Day has myself and two other shooter pop our 5 measly shots.
    1st shooter...average skill? Then myself and the 3rd guy most likely my equal in recoil control.

Very interesting. I like you the best.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    H9 XC "Competition Model"? (tailored to whatever USPSA/IDPA etc class)
    This seems like the obvious route to me, and I wonder why this wasn't the plan right out of the gate. The H9 is too heavy to be a popular CCW gun, and it's never going to end up in cop holsters or get a military contract. The CZ / Tanfoglio domination of the non-Glock non-1911 competition market seems ripe for a challenge.
    Last edited by pdb; 01-26-2017 at 09:01 AM.

User Tag List