Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson H9

Site Supporter
    I am not a lawyer in Texas or New York. I am not rendering legal advice. Any opinions expressed are my own and do not represent those of any employer, past, present or future.

Based on a quick scan of the counterclaim by Hudson- "you did not make parts to spec, you did not fix it when we complained, you knew when we did the deal that you were essentially a single source supplier so if your stuff was not in spec, it was going to cause us real problems. We tried to work it out and you still did not get us in spec parts in a timely fashion. Therefore we are not paying you for out of spec parts." PS- we should be litigating this in TX as per the terms of our offer."

This is likely to be a lose/lose for both parties. I suspect the machining company cannot take the hit and Hudson cannot make guns with no parts and likely does not have the credit/cash flow to get someone else to do it.

The thought that Hudson should try and sell the intellectual property is a good one. I wonder if then can even do that given the litigation they are involved in presently and whether the answer changes if one or both parties end up in bankruptcy/bankruptcy court separate and apart from the pending suit.

YMMV Greatly. FWIW.

PensFan
    I always had the personal impression that they were a venture capital startup. Planning to sell 10k pistols and in the meantime shop the company. A lot of hype. When I saw the trigger design I knew I would never own one.

It’s too bad, as it’s not like the pistols were vapor ware, or the whole company a scam. The two pistols that I’ve actually held in the friendly LGS exibited very good fit and finish. Regardless of how business went behind the scenes, they tried to bring something somewhat new to a static market, and at least suceeded in getting examples out. More than can be said for many before them.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    It’s too bad, as it’s not like the pistols were vapor ware, or the whole company a scam. The two pistols that I’ve actually held in the friendly LGS exibited very good fit and finish. Regardless of how business went behind the scenes, they tried to bring something somewhat new to a static market, and at least suceeded in getting examples out. More than can be said for many before them.
    About the same that could be said for the Caracal.

New cool gun promising less recoil, low bore axis, greater controllability and was allegedly the best thing since the Glock 17.

It was a cool idea both times, and with the resources of a larger company they might have pulled it off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PensFan View Post
    I always had the personal impression that they were a venture capital startup. Planning to sell 10k pistols and in the meantime shop the company. A lot of hype. When I saw the trigger design I knew I would never own one.
    Given your background, would be curious to hear your take on the trigger design.

https://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-exc...ow-145454.html

Recoil has a statement from the Hudsons, suggesting that not only is litigation tying them up, but that maybe some kind of financial backing didn’t come through. Not a surprise to me at all. I suspect Cy Hudson isn’t as good a businessman as he thinks he is.

I can only think of a few companies that have successfully brought “niche” designs to market in the last two decades. Hudson should have focused on extremely high quality, low volume, production. They could have eventually sold or licensed the design, while at least breaking even in the process.

If you’ve never manufactured goods in the US, deciding to go “big capital investment, 10-year plan to profit” is a bad business plan. Hell that’s a bad business plan, even if you have substantial experience. That’s the kind of business plan that requires 10-years of operational funds in the bank from the word “Go”. If Hudson had that kind of cashflow, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I wonder if Cy Hudson attended the Elon Musk School of Business Management?

Site Supporter
    Cy Hudson is a West Point Grad, a competent shooter and a gifted aengineer.

Gifted engineer and gifted business man are a rare combination.

If he sells it won't get bought out by a big news company, it'll end up in the hands of Kahr or someone similar. They won't put enough money into refining it, and will will remain a plagued niche model. Which stinks. I really wanted them to succeed.

Site Supporter
    I regret that this state of affairs has come about. About three years ago I spent many hours researching this pistol and those associated with it. I used property tax records plus other tricks to delve into the lives of principals associated with the project. I saw a shoestring operation transported in a boat paddled by amateurs. The manufacturing license's address was a residence. There were no indicators of stability.Then, I could see no way that the venture could succeed. This statement is not the same as saying that I knew it would fail. And, yes, they are nice people. Somebody, though, got left holding the bag.
    Last edited by willie; 01-24-2019 at 04:10 AM.

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    Given your background, would be curious to hear your take on the trigger design.
    Never liked the trigger design. Looks prone to locking when dirt and grime is introduced. I just don't like how it feels either. I consider it a boutique gun and not a serious service gun.

User Tag List