Thread: 9mm Case Brush?

9mm Case Brush?

I have some 9mm brass that may have never been properly cleaned for reloading. They are cruddy on the inside. I'm looking for a brush that I can clean the inside with. All I seem to be able to find is bore brushes. I have those but by design the won't get to the bottom of the case. Any suggestions? My internet search powers are not strong today.
    SCD

Have you tumbled them?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Yes I have. Some are stubborn though.
    SCD

Rotary tumbler with stainless media. Cleans everything to a fine polish. I went to one 6 months ago and haven't looked back.

What is the crud? Carbon? Dirt? How thick is it?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

A little of both. It's range brass. The carbon build up is the worst though.

Mix up a half gallon of hot water with 1 tbsp of Lemi-Shine crystals or 2 tbsp of white vinegar and 2 tbsp lemon juice, and a drop of dish soap. Pour in a couple hundred empty 9mm cases and let them soak for 1 hour, agitating them about every 15 minutes.

When done, rinse in cool water and drain. Take an old towel and pour the brass on to it, then close it up and shake. This will get 95% of the water out of them. Throw them in the tumbler with media and polish to finish the cleaning and to put a little polish on the cases for sizing.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 01-16-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Thanks very much, I'll give it a try.
    SCD

1. I wouldn't worry about it.

2. If I did worry about it, wet tumbling with stainless pins is the best answer. As in "nothing else works to within 10% as good." Wet tumble with stainless steel pins.
    #RESIST

Carbon/soot doesn't concern me. Dried mud/sand/rocks inside the case does. I don't want that stuff going down the bore. Wet tumbling is the sure cure.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List