Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The 6.5 Grendel, is it right for you?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If anyone has a 6.5G load that mimics the Hornady factory AMAX or SST load I would love to have it. I was shooting my reloads this weekend with the 123 Nosler CC bullet and 8208XBR powder - the groups were ok (1 inch at 100 yards) but hoping for better.
    What was your powder charge weight? Primer?

Here is a thread on the powder Hornady is using
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    26 grain tac powder
    Whoops, typo on my part, that's what I meant
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Whoops, typo on my part, that's what I meant
    Group measures .902 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And how are we all feeling now in 2019? I’m flirting with the idea of 6.5 Grendel with a Ballistic Advantage barrel so any updates or further opinions would be welcome. Are we mainly handloading? Best magazines are Elanders?

Edit: Any home builds running well? What vital parts are you using (barrels, bolts, etc.)?
    Last edited by guymontag; 09-16-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I'm still very happy with my Alexander Arms 16" lightweight upper. I've been spanking steel out to 900 yds, and couldn't ask for a more versatile rifle.

E-lander mags seem to be very solid--much heavier construction than a typical AR mag.

I don't like heavy barreled Grendels. What's the point? If I was going to have a rifle that heavy, I'd get a 6.5CM AR-10. To me the only Grendels that make sense are light and short.

BTW, I recently learned that if you forget your 6.5G mags, you can load a few rounds in a standard 5.56 magazine.

1st and 2nd round hits on 12x24" steel at 860yds (far ridge)
    Name:  IMG_7916.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  90.7 KB

(Grendel on the left)
    Name:  IMG_8109.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  101.6 KB
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-16-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    (Grendel on the left)
    Optic and thoughts on?

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Optic and thoughts on?
    It's a Burris XTR 2 3-15x50 FFP illuminated SCR mil/mil (BRS-201031) on an ADM QR mount (AD Recon STD 34). It is a very bright and crisp scope, and good for close range to 800-900yds. I got a good deal on it, and it looks like the price is still pretty good on these. I can't think of a better scope under $1k.
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-...iflescope.html
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I have a 20 inch SABRE 6.5 Grendel upper. Using a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 6-24x50 MIL/MIL in a Warne 20 MOA one piece mount. Ran it to 800 yards recently with a 0 MOA mount and ran out of elevation - will try to 1000 yards this week with the 20 MOA mount.

I shoot reloads - Nosler 123 Custom Competition BTHPs over CFE223 powder in Federal or Hornaday brass and whatever SRP on hand.
    Last edited by ranger; 09-16-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    I just got back from a long range facility in TN (K&M Precision). I ran my SABRE upper 20 inch 6.5 Grendel to 1000 yards but I was probably about 75% on a 24x24 plate at 1000. No issues on 300 through 800 but past 800 was stretching my set up. I shot about 250 rounds of my reloaded with mixed Hornady, Federal, and PPU brass over CFE223 and 123 Nosler Custom Competitions. In my opinion, the Grendel really dominates the "mid range" of greater than 300 but less than 900. I had a custom 6.5 CM bolt on the line also for the 900 to 1200.

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    And how are we all feeling now in 2019? I’m flirting with the idea of 6.5 Grendel with a Ballistic Advantage barrel so any updates or further opinions would be welcome. Are we mainly handloading? Best magazines are Elanders?

Edit: Any home builds running well? What vital parts are you using (barrels, bolts, etc.)?
    I just bought a LaRue, I will make sure to update this thread when I get it and shoot it.
    #RESIST

User Tag List