Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6.5 Grendel, is it right for you?

Have any of you experimented with the cheaper blasting ammo options from Wolf and Prvi?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Have any of you experimented with the cheaper blasting ammo options from Wolf and Prvi?
    Yes, I have shot the steel case wolf 6.5G - as you might expect, it is cheap and not especially accurate. I hated to shoot the bimetal projectiles though my better quality 6.5G barrels. I have a case of the Wolf 6.5G steel case on the floor but now that I reload 6.5G not sure when I will use it. Over the holiday sales, I think you could buy the Wolf 6.5G steel case for similar cost to the steel case 223. A buddy of mine bought one of the inexpensive 6.5G uppers from AIM SURPLUS plus the cheap Wolf 6.5 Steel case and he is enjoying "plinking" with the combo. The Wolf 6.5G steel case is no where near the quality of the Hornady 6.5G offerings. To me the beauty of the 6.5G is its accuracy - so the steel case 6.5G plinking ammo seems contradictory. However, I think the interest is 6.5G will increase in the AK community. An AK in 6.5G shooting Wolf steel case 6.5G would be very interesting!

I shot a LOT of the Prvi brass cased 6.5G - it shot extremely accurate for me. Unfortunately, PRVI will no longer sell 6.5G at this time and recalled all its 6.5G ammo. I had about 220 rounds of 6.5G Prvi brass case on hand and I exchanged it for 220 rounds of 308/3006 hunting ammo (best PRVI offers anyway). PS - Prvi CS was very good. No one in the 6.5G community knows why Prvi stopped selling/recalled its 6.5G ammo (my personal opinion - there is variation in the 6.5G chambers and bolts combination for AR - it appears to me you could get "X" barrel chamber and "y" bolt face and have a damaged case - this is a thread to itself in the 6.5G world - if you want a 6.5G, I suggest you buy the barrel and bolt at same time).

FYI - Word in the 6.5G community is that Prvi makes the Wolf brass case 6.5G also (unconfirmed but much speculation). I have not seen any Wolf brass case 6.5G since Prvi quit selling their brass case 6.5G. I miss the Prvi 6.5G and hope they sell it again!
    Last edited by ranger; 01-08-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    But, for a pure hunting rifle, I would go with a 260 Remington (or 6.5 Creedmoor) bolt action. I am a heretic on the 6.5G forum as they are all waxing poetic over the Howa 6.5G bolt action rifles - you can get a 6.5 CM, 260, or even 6.5x55 for same weight and better performance.
    Great post! IF one was not reloading, would that tilt it somewhat to the 6.5G?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Totally agree with Ranger. Accuracy is a key part of the 6.5. Lilja barrels do not deserve junk ammo. Shooting cheap ammo seems silly, when all of us have good 5.56 guns available for the high volume, less accuracy days.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I recently read an article looking at 16" 6.5 Creed ballistics and how they compare to 22" .308 on drop and drift. The 6.5 was the same or better all the way to 1000 yards. Kinda makes you wonder about building a lightweight 16" 6.5 Creed.

If only Tikka would sell standard T3s in 6.5...

Site Supporter
    I got a great deal on the 260. Whether reloading or not, I would go 6.5 Creedmoor today. There is SO much industry support for 6.5CM. Hornady has done this right while Remington never adequately supported the 260. At my local Cabelas, there are multiple factory 6.5CM on the shelf - target and hunting. There are currently ZERO 260 boxes at the local Cabelas. I reload the 260 and I resize 7-08 or 243 brass (you can use 308 but more work). The 7-08 loaded into 260 very well though (any of you want to donate some 7-08!). Actually, Hornady is offering 260 loads this year (interesting as 260 competes with the 6.5CM - kudos to Hornady). My reloading bench has 6.5G, 6.5CM, and 260. I use 120+ grain projectiles in the 6.5G and the 260 and I am using 140+ grain projectiles in the 6.5CM. I tend to buy blems and overruns from the Nosler Pro Shop when they are on sale. I have some Barnes TSX and Nosler GMX for hunting loads.

Site Supporter
    In fact - thread drift - if in market today, I would but the "new" Kimber Hunter model in 6.5 Creedmoor. I suspect that Tikka will have T3x Lite in 6.5CM soon if not already - I know they already offer the CM in 6.5CM.

Thanks for the info. Going go load some ammo up for my new 6.5 g. And head out to shoot it when temp gets above 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comparing the 6.5G to the 6.5CM and .260 is not accurate given the vast disparity in case length and volume between the 6.5G and those two. As said a few times in this thread, the 6.5G is the best highly available (components, mags, reloading supplies, etc) solution for the AR-15 platform. Near .308 performance in an AR-15 sized package. Not .308 performance in an AR-10 package.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 01-08-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Any particular company make a good 6.5 upper?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List