Thread: Diagram/animation/tables showing the POA/POI when canting rifle?

Diagram/animation/tables showing the POA/POI when canting rifle?

I googled but didn’t find what I was looking for. I’m going to be doing some hip pocket training on how canting the rifle 45 or 90 changes your POI. Some visual reference would help explain it.

If anyone knows of some diagrams or tables, pass me the link.

I usually just aim high on the magazine side and wing it but I’m sure i get questions wanting more exact dope.

Much appreciated.
    Last edited by BigD; 09-24-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I googled but didn’t find what I was looking for. I’m going to be doing some hip pocket training on how canting the rifle 45 or 90 changes your POI. Some visual reference would help explain it.

I usually just aim high on the magazine side and wing it but I’m sure i get questions wanting more exact dope.

Much appreciated.
    I think you'll probably have to figure it out individually for each shooter. The important thing is to remember your sight picture for each distance.

What type targets / accuracy / distances are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I think you'll probably have to figure it out individually for each shooter. The important thing is to remember your sight picture for each distance.

What type targets / accuracy / distances are you talking about?
    50m-200m. Torso size target. MK18s. Nothing super precise.

I’ll see if some off the ballistic calculators can give me exact holdovers.

I know exact data will depend on MV, sight over bore height, etc.

I was looking for something I could send out that would help visualize it.

I’ve found that some of the online diagrams showing the various zeros at different distances to be really valuable. So I am looking for something similar.
    Last edited by BigD; 09-24-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Code Name: JET STREAM

I was exploring this question recently as I shot a COF that involved canted shots that kicked my butt.

I later shot at 100 yard paper and 125 yard freshly painted 8” steel to map some cause and effect. Paper was shot from a table with bipod and rear bag. Steel was shot from VTAC barricade slots.

Gun: 16” 1/7 Lothar Walther light contour barrel.
    Ammo: 75 gr Hornady HPBT at ~2500FPS
    Scope: 8x w/ 2.65” height over bore.
    On a warm barrel, that gun and ammo combo can hold about 1.5”

The following are my observations. Keep in mind this is with a non-precision oriented AR-15. A more precise gun will see the effects of cant sooner.

With a max cant on my bipod and up to a 45 deg cant on the VTAC barricade AT 100 YARDS, cant had no discernible effect. Meaning I could hold center of the target and hit center with no discernible windage or elevation shift.

At 90 degrees, shots impacted 4 inches low and 4 inches in the direction of the cant. So on an 8 inch plate, to get a center hit, I had to hold at 2 o’clock edge of plate if I was canting left.

I then put the steel at 200 to make some rough observations:
    For 30-45 degree cant, I had to account for windage (about 2.5 MOA), although my elevation hold seemed to be the same. At 90 degrees, I held about 6 MOA high toward magazine side to connect on the 4 MOA plate (if memory serves correct I was still using my 200 yard hold in the reticle, not the center dot, as the reference point).

Of note, at 100 yards the JBM calculations didn’t match up with the results. At 200, JBM’s predictions seemed much closer to observed results.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post

Much appreciated.
    Here’s a simplistic diagram...

User Tag List