Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6.5 Grendel, is it right for you?

SLG, thanks for posting. Good info all around.

I'm at a similar spot with being comfortable with the AR and generally preferring it to other long guns in my inventory. I've toyed with the idea of getting a bolt gun(in 6.5C) but I've come to really like carrying and using my 16" AR.

What do you feel is the max acceptable range for your 6.5G on medium sized game?

SLG,
    Have you seen this .264 American yet?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    SLG,
    Have you seen this .264 American yet?
    I have seen it, but that's all.
    You?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post

What do you feel is the max acceptable range for your 6.5G on medium sized game?

You're welcome! Cecil, otoh, is not, as he is one of the reasons I posted this;-)

I limit myself on all big game to 300 yards on an uninjured animal. I would take a 300 yard shot with the G, as long as my ammo was appropriate to the game. Probably the 120 TTSX for me, for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have seen it, but that's all.
    You?
    No. I didn't know it existed until Doc mentioned it here a few months ago. At the time I wrongly assumed it would fit in 556 pattern guns. Not much new I can find on it.

The 6.5 AR idea is pretty neat. I've killed most of my deer with a 556 AR but a bigger round would be more versatile, esp range-wise.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for this post. It comes just as I'm looking long and hard at my sporting rifles, and the 6.5G might be a good choice for some of what I want to do. I put a boatload of rounds through various M-16 variants on active duty so I know the platform, plus I have a spare 6920 that could use some love.

What kind of velocities are you getting from a 16" barrel? And how long is the handguard on this rifle?

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 01-07-2017 at 08:52 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

No. I didn't know it existed until Doc mentioned it here a few months ago. At the time I wrongly assumed it would fit in 556 pattern guns. Not much new I can find on it.

The 6.5 AR idea is pretty neat. I've killed most of my deer with a 556 AR but a bigger round would be more versatile, esp range-wise.
    How big are the deer you're shooting with 5.56? What range? Which bullet?

I keep meaning to do that, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    How big are the deer you're shooting with 5.56? What range? Which bullet?

I keep meaning to do that, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    GA deer mostly top out at 140-150 I'd guess. Most I've shot probably 120-130. My mounted 8 PT might have beat the upper range. He was thick. One 55 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw double lunged at 20 FEET from my hide in the roots of a fallen tree.

Others, one shot to down each with 68 grain OTM, 77 grain OTM, 64 grain Win PP (worst penetration and jacket shedding but neck shot worked, 60 grain Nosler partition, and 55 grain all copper Barnes TMX I think it's called.

Overall I thought the Nosler most impressive from a wound channel and penetration perspective. The OTMs to neck, chest and shoulder were hammers with crazy destruction and complete fragmentation.

Note, one shot about 80 yards, the rest well under that.

None of them traveled more than 30 yards, some were bang flop. But for those that moved the blood trail was very thin. Just nostril blowing I think.

I like how the 30-30 does it better.
    Last edited by JHC; 01-07-2017 at 09:15 PM.

I had a bad experience with 223 this season. Years past I used 62gr Fusion/Gold Dots with good success out to 125-ish yards on heart and lung shots. This year I switched to the 75 Gold Dot because it groups much better for me and has a much higher BC. Took a 200 yard shot a few weeks ago and wasn't able to recover the deer. Small blood trail for 75 yards, then nothing.

Shot felt good, broadside. Confirmed zero afterwards, shot a 2 inch 3 round group at 200 yards. Having not recovered the deer I don't know for certain placement was ideal, but the shot felt right. Not sure where to go from here. I'd hate to pass up 200 yard shots as the property I frequent has quite a few opportunities in the 200-300 range.

LJ,

I'm the last person to consolidate guns, but I do like having a 5.56, 6.5G and a .22LR, all for the same lower. Makes for a nice versatile "platform."

User Tag List