Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mike Pannone's Marksmanship Evaluation Course of Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    No doubt. 10 yards feels so similar to 7 but it really is a step tougher than 7.
    When I shot it in Mike's class, we were at a range where the brackets to put up steel are actually behind the line where the wooden target frames go. So by the time it was all set up, we were actually shooting at steel that was more like 11 1/2 yards away. I asked Mike if we got any breaks for shooting it at a greater distance. He said nope, and to suck it up
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    When I shot it in Mike's class, we were at a range where the brackets to put up steel are actually behind the line where the wooden target frames go. So by the time it was all set up, we were actually shooting at steel that was more like 11 1/2 yards away. I asked Mike if we got any breaks for shooting it at a greater distance. He said nope, and to suck it up
    Roger that. There are no breaks or do overs when the feces hits the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Roger that. There are no breaks or do overs when the feces hits the fan.
    And for training I completely agree. For testing though, it kind of invalidates the test since you can't compare it across shooters. If it was just for fun, or just for your own edification, no big deal. When guys see rankings though, they want to earn the highest ranking they can.

Cooper said it best, about guys doing more to earn a trophy than a life saving skill.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    And for training I completely agree. For testing though, it kind of invalidates the test since you can't compare it across shooters. If it was just for fun, or just for your own edification, no big deal. When guys see rankings though, they want to earn the highest ranking they can.

Cooper said it best, about guys doing more to earn a trophy than a life saving skill.

Mike was still in the final stages of figuring the test out. He still was tweaking it in our class. For example, I believe it was our class where he first realized the legitimacy of adding the .25 on concealment reloads. He was very vocal in saying that what we shot was not necessarily the final version. Now that he has published his finished version, everything can be compared across the board after that. I don't see the slightly longer distance as a big deal for the not-quite-final version we shot.

Cecil, did he say anything about comparing scores between shooters or runs where both the time score and the points score were different? For example, Level 1 Sharpshooter vs. Level 2 Expert - is one of those "better" than the other? Or is it just not intended to be used that way? Really appreciate your comments since you shot it with Mike!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I shot part of this test on Thursday. Constraints of a public range made it impossible to shoot almost half of a test strings so this was not for score but to get a feel of it.

I misread the rules and missed the part where the concealment gave .25 handicap. I was shooting with raw times in mind and I couldn't make them cold. More than that, I've not shot my carry gun, from concealment or otherwise, for about three months so it wasn't cold, it was tundra frozen. With 0.25 extra seconds, existence of which I realized reading this thread this morning, I met the Expert times on the strings I shot. I could also meet raw Expert times without 0.25 allowance on about half of my runs after a box of a warm up. I can't fully comment on this test without shooting it in its entirety. However, I don't consider myself a strong / expert shooter relative to other people I've seen shoot and that 0.25 sec allowance let me into the Expert scores reasonably easily. Had it been my call, I would've thrown 0.25 away, at least for the highest levels of recognition.

Another observation is that shooting things cold makes a ton of difference.
    Last edited by YVK; 01-28-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

P.S. I really can't read. The highest level of recognition already excludes concealment handicap. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Cecil, did he say anything about comparing scores between shooters or runs where both the time score and the points score were different? For example, Level 1 Sharpshooter vs. Level 2 Expert - is one of those "better" than the other? Or is it just not intended to be used that way? Really appreciate your comments since you shot it with Mike!

Not really. What I took away from it - and understand I may be fuzzy, it was a long two days in 107 degree heat, and I was focused on implementing tweaks to my shooting that Mike suggested so I may have not heard everything- was that he wanted you to make the time while shooting at least the minimal score and then use that to track yourself the next time. In other words, you ideally made better hits the next time while shooting no slower or even faster rather than get bogged down in what was the term to describe that score.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm probably going to talk to Mike this week just to chat. I will ask him more specifically.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 01-28-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Much appreciated Cecil!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    I took the Covert Carry class from Mike Pannone last August (2017) using my Glock 17.

Excellent instructor. Highly recommended.

I discovered the MEC test on the net before class. I shot it a number of times in practice.

We DID NOT shoot the MEC QC during the class.

User Tag List