Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Pannone's Marksmanship Evaluation Course of Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing the intent of the factory slide to frame ratio rule in addition to the long slide rule. Particularly given that he does not specifically kibosh RDS. If it isn't unrealistic for a regular dude(ette) to roll with an RDS daily, why is it so to roll a G34 or a P30L?

I get if the intent is to reduce "gaming" the course. However, we all know at least a few pretty good shooters that carry a long slide pistol, concealed, every damned day.

I know it is picking nits, but it just seems silly to me to tell a student that no: you cannot shoot the G17k you carry every day and shot the rest of the class with. You need to grab your spare G17 out of your bag for the test.
    Yeah, I gotta agree with you there, though those are just my personal preferences and I hold relatively 'big tent' ideas about equipment. It's Mike Pannone's test, so it's all good - he can set the rules how he wants and people will think whatever they think and shoot it however they shoot it. I have been feeling strangely attracted to par time tests lately, which I normally dislike. Pannone's dual background as a BTDT guy, WITH the additional perspective of being a very skilled USPSA competitor really makes me want to take a hard look at the speed and accuracy elements of his test. G34 all the way for me though. There is about as much chance of me putting on a gamer gun to shoot this test as there is of me putting on a gamer gun to shoot a match, and I don't see how me shooting it on my own will count for anything anyway.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Totally agree Mike can run his show however he wants. I have a ton of respect for the man and his accomplishments.

I'd just be really interested in the reasoning behind those rules, as they seem pretty arbitrary to me.

I shot this today as my warmup. It read easier for me than it actually was on the range.

Great CoF.
    C Class shooter.

I'll probably put this one up as the Drill of the Week this Friday.
    Lord of the Food Court

I had our team shoot it cold on our last training day. The times are very challenging to consistently hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    I had our team shoot it cold on our last training day. The times are very challenging to consistently hit.
    How about for the head guy?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How about for the head guy?
    It would have to be legit on the timer to be sure, but it's doable

I shot this a few times. Fun course.

On all of them, equipment was a Gen3 G34 (not legal for this course, but I don't care, that's what I carry), concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt. Mag pouches were JMCK AIWB pouches with the high-ride option. Magazines are all G17 mags with OEM +2 extensions. Ammo was American Eagle 124 grain on the third run, and I can't remember if it was the same ammo or Lawman 124 grain on the first two.

I shot the first two runs about a week and a half ago, right before I got sick, which has had me pretty well laid out since then. The third run I shot this morning when I still thought I would be able to return to work today (umm no.)

---

First Attempt
    Level 1 Expert – C (I think that's right, no concealment bonuses used...)
    Times: 1.06/1.10, 1.43/1.42, 3.11/3.25, 1.96/2.05, 2.32, 2.35/2.33, 3.17/2.90
    This was a cold attempt and my first try on this particular test. The dropped points were stupid. I had time to aim, I just was being a spaz and didn't really have my mind focused enough on aiming. I took about an hour like you are supposed to and did some other stuff, while silently warning the test that I had its number now...that being a fast enough draw to have a ton of time to aim carefully and still be under the par...

---

Second Attempt
    Level 1 Distinguished Expert – C
    Times: 1.12/1.16, 1.49/1.47, 3.05/3.02, 2.02/2.12, 2.39, 2.14/2.17, 3.45/3.17
    Maxed it, yay! This is the thing with par time tests – how do the times shake out for the individual shooter? I personally have a lot of time to aim and fire conservatively since it is such a draw-heavy test. To me, this wasn't truly a cold attempt since I had just done it a bit earlier.

---

Third Attempt
    Level 1 Expert – C
    Times: 1.13/1.19, 1.49/1.52, 3.05/3.01, 1.85/1.87, 2.29, 2.21/2.19, 3.40/3.09
    This is the one I feel by far the best about, given the different circumstances for all three. I've been out sick for a week and thought I was going back to work this morning, went by the range first and shot this, but by the end I still felt so crumby, there was no way and went back home instead. So it was a true cold run, REALLY cold since no shooting for a week and a half, plus I was sick. I did dry practice a bit yesterday when I was feeling ok, so there is that. And it is a nice warm indoor range where I am very comfortable because it is where I shoot all the time, so I did have those (pretty significant) things going for me.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I shot this a few times. Fun course.
    Excellent! Nice shooting.

Mike just put up a link to a score sheet that can be printed.

http://www.ctt-solutions.com/wp-cont...core-Sheet.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Particularly given that he does not specifically kibosh RDS. If it isn't unrealistic for a regular dude(ette) to roll with an RDS daily, why is it so to roll a G34 or a P30L?
    FWIW, Pannone has stated that RDS doesn't count, either.

User Tag List