Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 slide lock reloads

1911 slide lock reloads

So I am playing around and running a 1911 and curious to techniques of other 1911 users.

I assume most are using WH thumb technique?

What is the consensus on extended releases? Seems people are not to favorable about them.

Thanks!

Extended slide release is not needed.

After seating the magazine, I use my support hand thumb to depress the slide stop as I roll back into my two hand firing grip.
    Last edited by Amp; 12-27-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post

After seating the magazine, I use my support hand thumb to depress the slide stop as I roll back into my two hand firing grip.
    This.

I've read that Bill Wilson thinks an extended slide release is the single dumbest product they make, but because some people insist on buying them, they'll keep making them.

One of my partners swears by his extended 1911 slide releases, shoots a ton, and has never had a problem. That said, I've seen issues with them (hitting grips making the gun unable to disassemble and potentially affecting reliability) and would highly recommend really thinking about whether you "need" them or just think it would be "easier".

I personally won't use them. I generally use the support thumb to release the slide except with my Berettas, which I can actually reach with my strong thumb. This means I'm generally using support hand thumb for everything including the Berettas unless I'm really trying to go fast.

This is the buy far the best method.

Site Supporter

This is how I do it as well. No need for an extended slide release.

I use my SH thumb as I can reach and use the standard slide release without issue.

I had one sort of like the Wilson. It was subject to premature engagement. I assumed it was by an errant thumb, so I got the swoopy Pachmayr that angled the lever higher and closer to the gun. It prematured too, so I learned to use my off thumb.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

That's what I figured and assumed most who run 1911s use the WH thumb.

Thanks for the feedback

This is pretty much standard, however it is *significantly* slower than using your strong hand thumb on a Glock or Sig. Even watching guys like Rob Leatham and Travis Tomasie reloading from slide lock on a 1911 is painfully slow compared to slide lock reloads on a Glock, which has almost no time difference from in-battery reloads.

User Tag List