Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    A number of my MPX shooting associates are talking about having multiple barrels vs multiple uppers. This article talks about ease of changing MPX barrels. Issue though is how to get extra MPX barrels of multiple lengths as they do appear to be readily available and appear to be pricey.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...er-mpx-pistol/
    very easy to change barrel and handguard on the MPX.
    however as of writing, barrel assemblies have still not been offered for sale by sig.

1) I was at a two day steel match this weekend, shooting PCC. About 250 shooters, with a high percentage of excellent shooters. If you think you shoot well, shooting competition is a quick reality check as to your skills and how many great shooters there are out there.

2) I had an excellent match going, until my MPX disassembled mid stage on the second day. Running between arrays, I was greeted with the upper flopped over. Getting the thing reassembled took about 25 seconds, and I am glad I fought through it, and avoided zeroing the stage. Unfortunately it tanked my match by a bunch of places in overall. I will try to load video of that later, as it was a goat rope.

It turned out, that a secondary spring the MPX has, was bent, taking away pressure on the rear pin, and after a thousand or so rounds of firing, the pin walked out. Figuring out the hammer had fallen, it needed to be cocked, holding the charging handle and BCG in, and getting it re-pinned was interesting, while on the clock.

3) The guy who finished first in the strict steel challenge part of the match, and third overall in PCC, was shooting a MegTech conversion on a Gen 3 17 lower. Sub $500 PCC solution that worked well for him.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

At least you didnt YARD SALE parts all over the place!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bummy425 View Post
    At least you didnt YARD SALE parts all over the place!

Pretty close to that!

You took care of that pretty quick....and I bet you dont practice that like other malfunctions!

My wife and I got a chance to shoot our new blow back, side charger AR9, the JP GMR-13 and the MPX on a mix of pure steel and paper arrays. Here is what we figured out.

On pure steel, one shot and transition, we both shot the blow back AR9 measurably better. We believe it is because of the light weight, making for faster transitions. On paper arrays, that involved splits and multiple close targets, I shot the MPX measurably better. My wife couldn't move the heavier MPX fast enough to take advantage of its splitting ability, and still shot the blow back better. I think the blow back AR9 could benefit from load development (read: lower PF loads) and a great comp, like the prototype one from MBX, that I shot this weekend.

On another note, the trigger in my older JP GMR-13 stopped resetting, and I need to contact JP.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife and I got a chance to shoot our new blow back, side charger AR9, the JP GMR-13 and the MPX on a mix of pure steel and paper arrays. Here is what we figured out.

On pure steel, one shot and transition, we both shot the blow back AR9 measurably better. We believe it is because of the light weight, making for faster transitions. On paper arrays, that involved splits and multiple close targets, I shot the MPX measurably better. My wife couldn't move the heavier MPX fast enough to take advantage of its splitting ability, and still shot the blow back better. I think the blow back AR9 could benefit from load development (read: lower PF loads) and a great comp, like the prototype one from MBX, that I shot this weekend.

On another note, the trigger in my older JP GMR-13 stopped resetting, and I need to contact JP.
    could you do a rough comparison of balance point between your new AR9 and your mpx carbine?

interested in your eventual thoughts on the comp as well, i notice no difference with a comp using standard 9mm and 16'' of barrel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    interesting. my carbine came with an open 3 prong style muzzle device.
    wonder why they made the change?

are the "ports" on that muzzle device partially covered by the front end of the handguard?
    I bet they made a tuning fork sound - my AAC muzzle devices sure do!

I'm surprised the MPX is much heavier than an AR9. I would expect that being gas operated it would use a lighter bolt and weigh the same or less than a basic blowback design.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'm surprised the MPX is much heavier than an AR9. I would expect that being gas operated it would use a lighter bolt and weigh the same or less than a basic blowback design.
    receivers are quite large and chunk - overly so IMO.
    weigh distribution is noticeably poorer in my mpx carbine vs ar9s as well.

User Tag List