Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

What MOA dot size do you guys prefer for PCC? Geared towards competition first. I was thinking around a 6 MOA dot? Thinking of picking up a PCC since the PCC in USPSA is just now gaining steam in my area.

Torn between the MPX and Wilson AR9. I have tons of Beretta and Glock magazines (although I only have 4 Glock 33rd mags and 0 Beretta 30 round mags) so there's some appeal to the AR9 there. I'm a little nervous about Sig's quality since they're on Gen 2 of the MPX now and just recalled the entire MCX line. I'm also a little bit of a trigger whore and would want to upgrade immediately to a Geissele for the MPX. Only thing is Geissele hasn't released their MPX specific trigger yet.

I'm in no rush but these are the 2 most promising options so far. It'll probably be suppressed for fun later down the road but the main purpose would be for competition, range use and finally home defense (in that order).
    Shoot more, post less...

I have been using a C-More Railway with a 6 mos dot. On other ends of the spectrum, I have two friends M/GM level, that go to opposite ends of the spectrum. One uses an MRO with a 2ish dot and the other a Romeo 4 with the Eotech style 65 moa circle around a smaller center dot.

The MPX is the obvious choice now for USPSA, and shoots really soft. I should be testing a Wilson soon.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

PCC is one of those things that I just don't have room for in my life but I wish I did because it sure looks fun.

It's good to hear what a great time GJM is having with it and how much it is driving concrete technical improvement for him. He has been shooting long guns for a long time, but with shooting them in USPSA now, he is on fire in terms of scrutinizing all aspects of performance and improving it, in ways that being a shooter serious about long guns never really demanded, but competing against others certainly does.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I wouldn't overlook the offering from Lone Wolf.

Pretty slick LW set up.

Pistol Caliber Carbine

I cleared a lot of rooms in my day. Covered a lot of dope and alien buy outs from the front seat of a car too. An MP5 size gun with the stock collapsed was the perfect gun for sitting behind the wheel with the gun slung in front. Easy to deploy stock upon exiting vehicle. And 8" 9mm was enough gun for parking lot distance work (car length or two).

For clearing rooms in big houses or trailer parks. It was easy to work corners, closets, attics, etc...

I agree, rifle work requires a rifle. Rural, longer distances. Etc... but for 90% of the stuff I have done, a PCC like the MP5 was perfect. Using a 11.5" M4 now. Even stock collapsed, its big enough to just not work great while seated in the drivers seat. The MPX has a lot of appeal if the actually work. I got to shoot one and was impressed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gadfly; 01-13-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I cleared a lot of rooms in my day. Covered a lot of dope and alien buy outs from the front seat of a car too. An MP5 size gun with the stock collapsed was the perfect gun for sitting behind the wheel with the gun slung in front. Easy to deploy stock upon exiting vehicle. And 8" 9mm was enough gun for parking lot distance work (car length or two).

For clearing rooms in big houses or trailer parks. It was easy to work corners, closets, attics, etc...

I agree, rifle work requires a rifle. Rural, longer distances. Etc... but for 90% of the stuff I have done, a PCC like the MP5 was perfect. Using a 11.5" M4 now. Even stock collapsed, its big enough to just not work great while seated in the drivers seat. The MPX has a lot of appeal if the actually work. I got to shoot one and was impressed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One of the big reasons I'm building a suppressed CZ Scorpion 9mm SBR with the folding stock. Very easy to maneuver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    PCC is one of those things that I just don't have room for in my life but I wish I did because it sure looks fun.

It's good to hear what a great time GJM is having with it and how much it is driving concrete technical improvement for him. He has been shooting long guns for a long time, but with shooting them in USPSA now, he is on fire in terms of scrutinizing all aspects of performance and improving it, in ways that being a shooter serious about long guns never really demanded, but competing against others certainly does.
    The pistol caliber part of the carbine allows me to practice in pistol bays, allowing the carbine to integrate into my regular pistol practice. With a 5.56 AR, despite good intentions, I infrequently ended my pistol practice early, to go to rifle bays and rifle distances with steel.

By Kyle Lamb and similar standards, I could shoot a carbine pretty well, even without a whole lot of practice. However, after six weeks of competition driven, intensive shooting of the PCC, my skills are at a whole different place. I also understand the metrics for each part of my PCC skills, including shot one, splits, transitions and reloads. Taking reloads for example, dry fire, slo mo video, analysis, discussion with other competitors, and more dry fire practice has allowed a technique that has driven my reloads into the 1.4-1.5 range. I can now shoot six shot Bill drills at 25 yards, with all A's well under 2.0 seconds. Never would have happened without competition. No idea whether that means anything for fighting, but it sure is important to my USPSA game, and that is enough motivation to keep pushing.

On the equipment front, I put my second MPX into service today. It ran great from shot one, and continued through the whole session. I am using a Romeo 4M as an optic on it, and I am thrilled with the speed potential of the Eotech style 65 moa ring around the center dot. Look forward to running it under match conditions this weekend.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I find this a bit funny. I remember just over a decade ago a pretty smart guy named Ken Hackathorn and I were laughing on a range as Ken declared in ten years someone is going to figure out that a super compact short barreled 9mm carbines fired from the shoulder are really easy to shoot fast and accurately and great for things like indoor distance shooting........
    Amen. I'm just glad that everyone has finally caught up with what I've been doing since 2005. John Hearne - Trend Setter. Who'd have thought it.....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    My stamp came in for my MPX SBR. Got the SIG folding stock and an AR buffer tube system ready. C more railway with 6MOA dot. Picked up mags on sale during the Holidays. Can't wait to start shooting it. At engraver now - hope to pick up next weekend.

User Tag List