Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

I'm a 50 yards zero, I zeroed the laser for 50 also. I guess I will try a 10 yard zero.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I'm a 50 yards zero, I zeroed the laser for 50 also. I guess I will try a 10 yard zero.
    You shooting PCC or 3 Gun with a 50 yard zero?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

PCC, I put my load through a ballistic calculator and it seems to be the best zero. The difference is marginal at short ranges, and at 25 yards is it is only a half inch low. But for the rare but not unusual 50 yard steel it is perfect.

My techniques and equipment might not work for others, but down here in Florida those really hard stages at the Nationals are pretty regular occurrence for our major matches.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

I forgot the �� above. I really don't notice much difference at 50 with my 25 yard zero, but there are people I know who zero at 10 and 15 yards in PCC, so they don't have to worry as much about offset.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I forgot the �� above. I really don't notice much difference at 50 with my 25 yard zero, but there are people I know who zero at 10 and 15 yards in PCC, so they don't have to worry as much about offset.
    Those emojis didn't come through here either, I just see question marks inside a diamond.

I'm used to aiming higher at shorter ranges with a carbine. But we had someone with a zero like that on our Nationals squad, he got mikes on the stages that had 40+ yard targets. While the rest of us with 25 and 50 yard zeros got all our hits on paper. And there weren't too many no shoot hits by anyone in the squad (I personally got zero), so I am not sure if that is a valid worry. *shrugs* I think practicing your zero on a variety of targets and distances is probably more important than the particular zero you have. I don't think that shooter took his PCC out to 50+ yards, which is something I shoot regularly with both pistols and my PCC.
    Last edited by PPGMD; 05-14-2017 at 10:08 PM.

A devious course designer could wreak havoc on a bunch of PCC shooters by locating closer intermediate no shoot targets between the shooting position and further targets, especially if those intermediate no shoot targets are right at the edge of the offset. I, of course, learned this the hard way.

Sort of like putting no shoots to make a hard lean even harder, basically a "F PCC" target. I personally did two non-forced weak shoulder starts due to some really tight leans at the Nationals and IIRC one even had a no shoot on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Shot CO and PCC in a local IDPA match today. In our squad of 12, 3 people showed an interest that I feel would lead to them getting PCC guns. Lots of questions and the questions showed they had already looked into it. More like what was I running and how do I like it.

Besides, how often do you get to run close quarters with your rifle. With PCC you can!
    Pardon the lack of knowledge (no IDPA since early 2016) but they now allow CO & PCC?
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 05-15-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Pardon the lack of knowledge (no IDPA since early 2016) but they now allow CO & PCC?
    The 2017 Rules have a Division called Specialty (SPD). In this Division, match directors can allow any of the following: Carry Optics, Lasers, WML, and PCC.
    For instance this weekend I ran an IDPA Match and allows SPD-PCC, so only PCC shooters were allowed for that match. Last month I added SPD-CO at the NRA range so carry optics was the SPD Division for that event. I will be running a sanctioned IDPA match in October at Thurmont, MD that will be the first sanctioned match with SPD-CO in a sanctioned format. Two months ago I ran an IDPA match indoors that was no-light, flashlight, and I allowed SPD-WML. It doesn't make sense to me to allow PCC and CO competing against each other head to head, so I restrict it to one specialty division. However, I can see smaller clubs allowing any or all. There is no rule prohibiting it. The rules for PCC have not been officially released, but they have been written and are under review at HQ. This will define what kind of equipment is allowed, magazine loading, safety protocols, etc.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    On what zero to use -- I have been using 25 yard zero. IDPA now has a circle inside of a head for zero down. Sunday we had targets at less than 5 yards. On the walk through I took note of exactly where my offset needed to be for these. Normally for targets up to about 15 yards I would just aim at the top of the perforations. AT these targets I aimed about an inch above the perforations.

In keeping with my goal of becoming better in the real world, I am going to set a zero that would be appropriate for a close quarter shot equivalent to a 100 yard zero on my AR15 5.56. That way I can train for a real situation with both the AR9 and AR15 as far as offset. Guess I need to get out my ballistics calculator.

User Tag List