Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Personal Defense" rounds, worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    Hornady now has Zombie Max. That is all I need to know.
    I know, that is driving me nuts. I get it, it's just a marketing gag, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    On a serious note.... This is interesting. I have always selected my carry ammo by trial and error on the range. I look at shootabliity, accuracy in my firearm, muzzle flash, etc. I guess performance should have been on the top of that list.
    Unfortunately, "performance" is the ONE thing I can't really test. It's easy to get a few boxes of ammo, run through some mags and say, "hey, that shot great" or "that was awful". But when you need to bet your life on it... that's the kind of data and information that there is no way I can get it up front myself at the range.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Dammit.

So who makes the best ballistic helmet these days?
    While you definitely need this;

http://www.securityprousa.com/coheleiiwiba.html

You may want to consider one of these;

http://www.securityprousa.com/eodsumispeo.html

As for carry ammo; I pick something off of Doc's list, find it in stock somewhere at a reasonable price, then buy enough to both test fire and get me by for awhile. Even if I buy more of the same brand and style of ammo I buy enough to test fire the new lot, just because I have had a couple of bad experiences with carry ammo in the past.

I think the premium stuff is worth it, just to address the original question.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    So who makes the best ballistic helmet these days?
    True Story: I tried to do an artsy photo some years back with a reproduction Roman gladius and helmet and a Springfield Pro & Pro-Tec skateboard lid, and got an email from a friend that read "A Pro-Tec, Tam? That is so 1994."

re: The Ammo thing. So many vendors are wising up and selling the LE packaging to the general public that the buying of a 20-rd box of "Home Defense" loads is becoming almost as embarrassing as filling out a 4473 for a Taurus Judge.

These days I just buy SXTs and/or HST's at the gun show...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    True Story: I tried to do an artsy photo some years back with a reproduction Roman gladius and helmet and a Springfield Pro & Pro-Tec skateboard lid, and got an email from a friend that read "A Pro-Tec, Tam? That is so 1994."

re: The Ammo thing. So many vendors are wising up and selling the LE packaging to the general public that the buying of a 20-rd box of "Home Defense" loads is becoming almost as embarrassing as filling out a 4473 for a Taurus Judge.

These days I just buy SXTs and/or HST's at the gun show...
    Isn't the sxt an older design/sub-optimum design? Thought the t-series had replaced it.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    A Taurus Judge? That is SO 2010... it's all about the S&W Governor now, don't you know? At least that's how it is in the gun shops by me...

I can't tell you how many times I've have the gun shop push a Judge or a Governor or similar and tell me about how it's the gun world version of a polio vaccine... because, you know, .410 shells with 00 buck at 5 feet create this massive death ray cone that obliterates any bad guy within sight... and mixing and matching .45 Colt, .410, and .45 ACP is really neat, keeps the bad guys guessing as to what color the death ray cone will be... argh.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Isn't the sxt an older design/sub-optimum design? Thought the t-series had replaced it.
    My bad. I was, of course, referring to the Ranger-T. (I guess the old 'Same eXact Thing' joke I heard from the Winchester rep back in the mid '90s was running through my head when I typed that...)

I suspect the 20 round boxes are in deference to the folks who would only buy six or eight rounds, or whatever they needed to fill up the blaster one time so they can then forget which drawer they left it in.

I almost always get my Ranger-T from these folks;

http://www.ombexpress.com/p-6769-win...se-of-500.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I suspect the 20 round boxes are in deference to the folks who would only buy six or eight rounds, or whatever they needed to fill up the blaster one time so they can then forget which drawer they left it in.
    Certain demographics don't even need to buy 20 at a time.

If the gun is the Judge, and the ammo is the Jury, who becomes the Executioner?
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    A Taurus Judge? That is SO 2010... it's all about the S&W Governor now, don't you know? At least that's how it is in the gun shops by me...

I can't tell you how many times I've have the gun shop push a Judge or a Governor or similar and tell me about how it's the gun world version of a polio vaccine... because, you know, .410 shells with 00 buck at 5 feet create this massive death ray cone that obliterates any bad guy within sight... and mixing and matching .45 Colt, .410, and .45 ACP is really neat, keeps the bad guys guessing as to what color the death ray cone will be... argh.

J.Ja
    That's funny. When someone comes into our shop to buy one they usually leave with something else. Though lately I've just been letting some of the other guys show them to people. Apparently I can only have that conversation about a million times before I just want to face palm and walk away.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

User Tag List