Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Personal Defense" rounds, worthwhile?

Question "Personal Defense" rounds, worthwhile?

I've read Doc's information on the ballistics of common duty rounds (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...info-by-DocGKR). I am curious if anyone has similar information for the various "self defense" and "personal defense" or similarly branded items out there (Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester PDX, etc.). I know that many of these are obviously gimmicky, especially when looking at shotgun rounds (do I really want/need slugs AND shot coming out at the same time?). And some of the benefits are dubious; for example, the nickel-plated Critical Defense rounds, if I have a gun that jams so often with brass that I need an ultra-slick case, do I want to defend myself with it? But things like the various ballistic tips seem like they are of potential benefit.

So, do these rounds have any real benefit above and beyond the rounds that Doc has mentioned above? If so, is it enough to justify their price?

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Use the product codes Doc has listed and search the Internet for them. They are sold in lots of 50 and not 20/25 like defensive loads that are basically the same thing just rebadged packages.

Save on my friend, save on.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I've read Doc's information on the ballistics of common duty rounds (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...info-by-DocGKR). I am curious if anyone has similar information for the various "self defense" and "personal defense" or similarly branded items out there (Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester PDX, etc.). I know that many of these are obviously gimmicky, especially when looking at shotgun rounds (do I really want/need slugs AND shot coming out at the same time?). And some of the benefits are dubious; for example, the nickel-plated Critical Defense rounds, if I have a gun that jams so often with brass that I need an ultra-slick case, do I want to defend myself with it? But things like the various ballistic tips seem like they are of potential benefit.

So, do these rounds have any real benefit above and beyond the rounds that Doc has mentioned above? If so, is it enough to justify their price?

J.Ja
    Stick with what's on the list. Hornady critical defense has failed every independent test it's been ran in as far as I know. Pdx1 is ok but you'll end up paying more per round than you would for the equivalent Leo packaged box. There are several places that sell Leo stuff via inter webs. For instance, my shop carries 9mm Leo gold dot, hst, and ranger t around 28$ a box of 50. I'd post a link but I dont know how the mods feel about non sponsored advertising. Pm me if you'd like. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    For instance, my shop carries 9mm Leo gold dot, hst, and ranger t around 28$ a box of 50. I'd post a link but I dont know how the mods feel about non sponsored advertising. Pm me if you'd like. :-)
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...try-Disclosure
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

The physiology and anatomy of bad guys does not change whether a LEO or private citizen is required to use lethal force to defend themselves against an attack. It is probably wise to select ammunition that has been extensively tested and vetted in field use by numerous LE agencies, compared to selecting ammo that has been slickly advertised, but has NO independent testing or verification of its efficacy in a lethal force encounter. In addition, LEO packaging is typically 50 rds per box--a lot more efficient than the stupid 20 rd boxes sold to many civilians...

Thanks, this makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It is probably wise to select ammunition that has been extensively tested and vetted in field use by numerous LE agencies, compared to selecting ammo that has been slickly advertised, but has NO independent testing or verification of its efficacy in a lethal force encounter. In addition, LEO packaging is typically 50 rds per box--a lot more efficient than the stupid 20 rd boxes sold to many civilians...
    I originally had bought Critical Defense because it came recommended. But the more I started to see the advertising and information, the more I looked at the product literature, the more it felt like they were selling "innovation" and not "proven results". It sounds to me like my gut instinct was right.

I'll be ordering some of the HST or Ranger from one of the various sites that I've seen mentioned on the list here.

Thanks to all for the information!

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I originally had bought Critical Defense because it came recommended. But the more I started to see the advertising and information, the more I looked at the product literature, the more it felt like they were selling "innovation" and not "proven results". It sounds to me like my gut instinct was right.

I'll be ordering some of the HST or Ranger from one of the various sites that I've seen mentioned on the list here.

Thanks to all for the information!

J.Ja
    Good call.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Fixed and thanks for the heads up.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Question

But regardless how you buy it PDX1 pistol ammo is a good product.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

PDX1 is basically the same ammunition as the Ranger bonded used by many LE agencies...

User Tag List