Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Instructors precedence?

it seems to me that you would want to at least confirm to yourself that you actually improved your skills by attending a training class (whatever skills are important to you to improve). granted, you likely won't improve in just one day at the range, but if you practice and repeat drills over time to improve your skills, you should be able to show a positive change.

i like going to the range as much as anyone, but if i'm going to pay serious money to someone to take a class, i'd like to improve some skills as a result of that class and my own practice after the class.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    it seems to me that you would want to at least confirm to yourself that you actually improved your skills by attending a training class (whatever skills are important to you to improve). granted, you likely won't improve in just one day at the range, but if you practice and repeat drills over time to improve your skills, you should be able to show a positive change.
    Most classes I have been to are set up in such a curriculum that each block gives you something to take forward and builds on the previous block. At the Defoor class I attended we ran his Pistol Test immediately for him to size us up but I definitely brought a lot back and added to my competency and confidence a good deal. I use his pistol test and the FAST to keep track of where I am.

i like going to the range as much as anyone, but if i'm going to pay serious money to someone to take a class, i'd like to improve some skills as a result of that class and my own practice after the class.
    And if you pick a solid instructor that will happen, but keep in mind if you aren't there in your head, the best instructor can't do shit. You get exactly what you put into it. Again, for the Defoor class I attended I flew across the country, dealt with jet lag, and humped all my shit to range since I didn't want to add the cost of renting a car. I definitely got my check's worth.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

For the most part my Intent is of course to better myself and learn more (isn't that what 99% of us here do?), but also to learn more to pass on to the students. Mr. Givens is on the short list.
    As far as a diagnostic, yes I have taken classes and done that before and after, and in any of my class above basic I do that. Toward the end of the classes I do another diagnostic for them and me, but it is in a different form though show same results.

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    For the most part my Intent is of course to better myself and learn more (isn't that what 99% of us here do?), but also to learn more to pass on to the students.
    A lot of people just want to say that they trained with the big names. They walk out of class with nothing new but bragging rights and a lighter wallet.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have trained with I guess a couple of dozen people or so, and if I had to pick three from that list that you would recognize it would be Tom Givens, Ernest Langdon, and Mike Pannone. I would recommend these guys to anyone at any level. I have also found everyone from the shivworks collective to be exceptional to include Craig, Cecil, William April, and Paul Sharp. For the most part that is going to be different than straight up shooting classes. Someone who has helped me out a ton is Randy Harris. I hate to get into naming names as I don't want to leave anyone out. Honestly I am trying to break my training addiction by just competing this year.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    GUN INSTRUCTORS

Please understand this is my personal list of people I would like to train with. The List is organized to comply with the guidance in the following paragraph. The names within a specialty are in no particular order. We live in a time of riches, when new instructors of high quality come along regularly. Consequently, this is a work in progress. It might be longer tomorrow. Names of referrals were redacted. You may wish to check the instructors against Pistol-Forum's "Class Reviews and AARs"

“So, cross-pollination notwithstanding, the masters of the mechanics of shooting are the high level competitive shooters, the masters of killing are the high level Spec Ops guys, and the masters of handling confrontations and fights without ending up in jail are the cops. They all have something to teach us.” (Redacted), 06/04/2016)
    Outstanding post! Should be a sticky somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    For the most part my Intent is of course to better myself and learn more (isn't that what 99% of us here do?), but also to learn more to pass on to the students. Mr. Givens is on the short list.
    As far as a diagnostic, yes I have taken classes and done that before and after, and in any of my class above basic I do that. Toward the end of the classes I do another diagnostic for them and me, but it is in a different form though show same results.
    I highly recommend Tom Givens Instructor school. We have hosted it in the past and will be hosting in the future. It is an exceptionally well delivered program and anyone teaching should have some instructor level courses of this caliber under their belt. The sad reality is that many people out there who are "Instructors" could not pass Tom's class and have a bad case of not knowing what they don't know.

I had the unfortunate experience of being at a class with an "instructor" who negligently discharged a round into the ceiling of the range we were on while demonstrating the course of fire we had to shoot. I shot what I was required to for a state certification and got out as quickly as I could. Hearing this idiot talk during the introduction was like he was on leave from DeltaSealNinja Team 12. The reality was he in no way shape or form could shoot a 50% score on a Hackathorn Test (not good enough to fail miserably). Research is critical on who you are training with. Also, see if other skilled instructors recommend them. Good instructors are usually lifelong students. They know exactly what good and crap looks like. If Tom Givens, Ken Hackathorn, or someone of that caliber says to train with someone, that is worth more to me than a billion hits on a "trainer's" YouTube channel or Myspacebook page.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 01-12-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I have trained with I guess a couple of dozen people or so, and if I had to pick three from that list that you would recognize it would be Tom Givens, Ernest Langdon, and Mike Pannone. I would recommend these guys to anyone at any level. I have also found everyone from the shivworks collective to be exceptional to include Craig, Cecil, William April, and Paul Sharp. For the most part that is going to be different than straight up shooting classes. Someone who has helped me out a ton is Randy Harris. I hate to get into naming names as I don't want to leave anyone out. Honestly I am trying to break my training addiction by just competing this year.
    MVS, Thanks for the mention especially in the company with those guys. I really appreciate that.

I know that you're specifying shooting instructors but I think that Southnarc should be on your bucket list. I also think there's only so many shooting classes you can take before you plateau on your ability unless you set strict goals with a plan for how to get there (say, get to FAST coin shooting ability with a documented training plan and also document each range session) and/or start competing in whatever shooting competition you like or is local to you.
    #RESIST

It takes about 3 things to run a gun properly. You'll learn this in any one of these guys classes and a whole bunch of other "no name" competent instructors. Sounds like you have already done that. Grip has purpose and expected result. Trigger control doesn't disrupt the sights. Flinch is a mental disorder. Point the gun to where you want the bullet to hit. Gun handling should be as fast as you can safely move your limbs.

Now you go train, see where you are at, see where others are at, work to get there - that's it.

I do think classes can be fun so there is that.

I do think some people "only" train in a class and I think that is why some never seem to get to where they want to be.

I've paid to go to 3 classes in my life. Aim Fast Hit Fast. And y'know, I didn't really know anything at the time so that was great for me. Then I paid to go to Steve Anderson. I learned everything about shooting and more. Then I signed up for Mike Seeklander's Instructor Development Course because I wanted an "Instructor Certificate." Awesome class but it's mostly about how to teach.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 01-14-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    A71593

User Tag List