Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great Instructors precedence?

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    It takes about 3 things to run a gun properly. You'll learn this in any one of these guys classes and a whole bunch of other "no name" competent instructors. Sounds like you have already done that. Grip has purpose and expected result. Trigger control doesn't disrupt the sights. Flinch is a mental disorder. Point the gun to where you want the bullet to hit. Gun handling should be as fast as you can safely move your limbs.

Now you go train, see where you are at, see where others are at, work to get there - that's it.

I do think classes can be fun so there is that.

I do think some people "only" train in a class and I think that is why some never seem to get to where they want to be.

I've paid to go to 3 classes in my life. Aim Fast Hit Fast. And y'know, I didn't really know anything at the time so that was great for me. Then I paid to go to Steve Anderson. I learned everything about shooting and more. Then I signed up for Mike Seeklander's Instructor Development Course because I wanted an "Instructor Certificate." Awesome class but it's mostly about how to teach.
    Concur and noted on the classes you got something out of.
    #RESIST

I'm going to jump in and say....there are only so many ways to draw and put a bullet on target. Seriously. Once you get to that point competency wise, it all become very subtle nuances. If you can draw and hit a 6-8" circle in 1-1.5 seconds, you're probably at the point where nuances matter. I spent 3 days last year with Rob Leatham TGO. It was an absolutely fantastic experience in learning to shoot faster. Rob says this " I'm not here to get in the weeds about "tactics", that's up to you, your department, and your SOC. I'm here to teach you and help you to be faster." I really respected that. I listened, learned, and I got faster. We did a man on man shoot off. I advanced all the way, and had the pleasure to shoot on a dueling tree against TGO. That was amazing, and a learning experience.

I guess my point is, determine WHAT you want to learn, then that will narrow down WHO you want to learn from. If you're looking to shoot faster times on a USPSA course, former CAG/ SEAL/ SWAT instructor might not be the best choice. If you're wanting to clear buildings and learn team movements and tactics, a GM USPSA guy might be equally as incorrect.

User Tag List