Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrench

Site Supporter
    Great timing - I have been mounting multiple scope recently without a torque wrench. For just mounting scopes, what is the "good enough" solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Great timing - I have been mounting multiple scope recently without a torque wrench. For just mounting scopes, what is the "good enough" solution.
    How much is your time/ammo/scope worth to you?

Borka.

After having to specify and validate (full gage R&R) fastener torque for several manufacturing programs, I use a set of Tohnichi torque screwdrivers and gauges. Not inexpensive, but easy to achieve consistent results. Amazon sells them, and I have managed to put together a complete set for myself over time.

https://www.amazon.com/Tohnichi/b/re...e-bin=Tohnichi
    Last edited by farscott; 01-15-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    After having to specify and validate (full gage R&R) fastener torque for several manufacturing programs, I use a set of Tohnichi torque screwdrivers and gauges. Not inexpensive, but easy to achieve consistent results. Amazon sells them, and I have managed to put together a complete set for myself over time.

https://www.amazon.com/Tohnichi/b/re...e-bin=Tohnichi
    Those seem very expensive for firearms...but I don't know much about torque wrenches outside of my narrow lane. The wheeler will work, and doesn't cost much. The Borka is a pure joy, and is really designed for guys like me. Hard to do it wrong, always correctly calibrated, purpose built for firearms. A little more than the wheeler, but WAY more value for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Those seem very expensive for firearms...but I don't know much about torque wrenches outside of my narrow lane. The wheeler will work, and doesn't cost much. The Borka is a pure joy, and is really designed for guys like me. Hard to do it wrong, always correctly calibrated, purpose built for firearms. A little more than the wheeler, but WAY more value for the money.
    They are a bit expensive, but they are precise and repeatable. My experience with other specified-torque devices is that there is too much variance, especially for high-dollar scope mounting. I also use them for other things besides firearms, so the extra cost is less of a concern to me.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    They are a bit expensive, but they are precise and repeatable. My experience with other specified-torque devices is that there is too much variance, especially for high-dollar scope mounting. I also use them for other things besides firearms, so the extra cost is less of a concern to me.
    I can't really speak to that, but I can tell you that one of my favorite high end scope makers was trying to make a Borka package for their scopes. They think very highly of the Borka, and use it to help win national championships every year.

Another vote for the Borka.

A guy that use to work here bought some Facom torque drivers. They are around $270 each. They are in Newton meters so you have to convert it over to inch pounds to use it. I think I used it once.

Attachment 13244

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I agree with everything Rich wrote. The nice thing about the borka is that it doesn't need calibration.

SLG -

Could you help me understand the latter part a bit more fully?

I have not handled the Borka, but I did just do a little reading/viewing on it.

Having a bit of experience with metrology but am not an expert - I do not understand how that tool "doesn't need calibration".

I do understand the principle of it's operation, and it seems like the internal components would be liable to producing drift or variance through wear/use over time.

More broadly per the thread - I use and have been happy with the FAT wrench for all my amateur gunsmithing/building needs

• Repeatability is more important to me than outright accuracy for the majority of fastener torquing i do while tinkering on my guns.
    • The FAT wrench I have performs adequately for me, and I have tested it on a mid-level torque tester tool out of curiousity.
    • The majority of fasteners I torque on guns are torqued within the middle sweet spot of the FAT wrenches 10-65 in/lb range.
    • I return the tool to minimum torque after every use.
    • If spending the money to get a FAT wrench or whatever other torque tool - I think it is important to get a high quality set of bits as well if not already owned.

I'm not really concerned that the fasteners on this mount may be 10% off from the desired torque setting for example as the mount and fasteners are strong enough to take it, but I do want to make sure they are consistently 10% off in the same direction so that stresses/pressure are even across the optic - the FAT wrench works for me in this regard.

Fishing,

It is my understanding from Borka, that because the torque is applied through the lever arm (I think that's the correct term), rather than a spring, that the calibration is pretty well a done deal. Technique matters though, and so your borka in your hands may produce a very slightly different # than my Borka in my hands. Maybe even more than slightly different, IDK. As long as you are consistent in how you do it though, you can be assured of getting the same value every time.

As with shooting, I'm sure there are tolerances involved in this. I would call Borka if you need more info, as that is about the limit of my understanding.

also, please fill out your about me page with whatever truthful stuff you are comfortable having in public.
    Last edited by SLG; 01-22-2017 at 01:12 PM.

User Tag List