Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSA ar-15 lowers

I was wondering because Type III Class 2 anodizing is normally used on AR receivers. Class 2 means the surface is dyed.

Sealing the surface of Type III anodizing is dependent on whether abrasion resistance is desired, or corrosion protection
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-07-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Are the people speaking highly of PSA talking about a stripped lower or a fully assembled one? Their fully assembled lowers at first glance look cheaper than you could build one right now. If they're quality that seems like a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never purchased any of their(PSA) complete products, only parts. Several stripped lowers, a couple LPKs, etc.

They have at least 2 levels of products so be aware of that. I forget what They call them but the economy level doesn't get rave reviews.

PSA had a bout with SGS (Sudden Growth Syndrome) a little while back. Slow shipping, mixed up/lost orders and the like but I haven't heard anything like that about them recently. Every transaction I've made with them went well.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 01-11-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Every "cheap" lower I have purchased from PSA has been made by Aero Precision, who are one of the larger manufacturers of the lower receivers. Whether that is still true or not, I cannot say.
    Hopefully not too much of a thread drift, but how does one learn or find out who the original mfg is on AR parts? I get the impression for stuff like lowers, barrels, etc there appear to be 2-3 main companys actually manufacturing them, and other companies pay for certain features, levels of QC, etc and add their own branding.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've got a blem lower from a few years ago and used it to build my home defense rifle ("build" meaning snap a lower and upper together) and while the cosmetic blem is obvious, it shoots just fine. Prone but unsupported, I shoot 1-2" groups at 50y. That's as good as I can shoot with a factory Colt. I'm sure I'm holding the hardware back, not the opposite.

Round count is pretty low, about 1100 rounds, so can't really speak to durability. It does what I want it to, though.

Just like handgun owners, there's a million Bubbas for every Todd.
    I do not have any PSA lowers (mostly because PSA has some bizarre rules about shipping them to people in NJ, so that puts a damper on my desire to spend money there) but all the data I've seen on them points to them being a good enough lower for most people, on par with Anderson and many others in relatively the same price bracket.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Hopefully not too much of a thread drift, but how does one learn or find out who the original mfg is on AR parts? I get the impression for stuff like lowers, barrels, etc there appear to be 2-3 main companys actually manufacturing them, and other companies pay for certain features, levels of QC, etc and add their own branding.
    IRC, I called and asked at one point. It's been 4-5 years since I bought anything from PSA.

All of my lowers are identical physically except for the engraving. PSA, Anderson MFG. and DD. I would imagine that they were all originally forged with the same dies. The question I suppose is do Aero Precision, Anderson, DD, etc. all buy forgings from the same supplier or are they all made start to finish by the same facility and then branded to contract?
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 01-11-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    IRC, I called and asked at one point. It's been 4-5 years since I bought anything from PSA.

All of my lowers are identical physically except for the engraving. PSA, Anderson MFG. and DD. I would imagine that they were all originally forged with the same dies. The question I suppose is do Aero Precision, Anderson, DD, etc. all buy forgings from the same supplier or are they all made start to finish by the same facility and then branded to contract?
    In the end, does it matter, especially for the "hobbiest" shooter? There can't be very many ways to skin the cheap cat. Short of different/exotic metals, coatings/finishes, engravings and cuttings, they're all just a block of metal forged/cut to a specific shape. Excluding the plastic/hybrid ones, which I stupidly bought a few of a while back.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 01-11-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    In the end, does it matter, especially for the "hobbiest" shooter? There can't be very many ways to skin the cheap cat. Short of different/exotic metals, coatings/finishes, engravings and cuttings, they're all just a block of metal forged/cut to a specific shape. Excluding the plastic/hybrid ones, which I stupidly bought a few of a while back.
    Sort of my question as well. I understand if the anodizing is of low / poor quality, it could develop issues over time IF exposed to certain elements. I do wonder who makes vs who sources lowers.
    Taking a break from social media.

Own multiple PSA lowers. The blems I got were VERY minor scratches. Zero problems with function. SBRed one, paired with PSA CHF upper. Runs like a champ suppressed or un suppressed.

Also own Colt and Anderson lowers. All good to go. My only problem upper is an 80s mfg Olympic arms "cast" lower. Not even anodized, its spray painted. You have to use a screwdriver handle or such to tap out the back pin. So it's slightly out of spec. But it shoots fine... just looks like shit. I am considering selling it off to someone in CA NY or NJ since it's pre ban. Someone in those commie state would love it I'm sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List