Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P 10 6.5 Creedmoor

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Thanks. I will do some more research. I wanted to avoid another caliber. I remember a few wildcats based on 6.5/223. I'm a fan of the 6.5x55. For hunting
    I feel ya on the another caliber thing. The 6.5CM is basically a short action 6.5x55, the 6.5G turns your AR-15 into a near .308. You can get plenty of dies, mags, brass, etc for both. Personally, I'm not a fan of AR-10 rifles unless Sean gifts his PredaOBR to me and were I in your shoes, I'd arrive at the 6.5G for precision and .300Blk supersonic for more thump.
    #RESIST

Also, the 6.5CM walks all over the .308 in every way. It's a no brainer over the .308.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have known for a long time that I wanted a semi-auto .308 launcher, with eyes toward an AR-10 platform or a Sig 716 platform as the most likely candidates.

Can someone who knows rifles better than I do (read: all of you) explain why the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good option? Is it a silencer thing? I always thought the benefit of the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC rounds (the "6" AR rounds I am familiar with to this point) was fitting a heavier bullet into an AR-15 sized platform.
    6.5 creedmoor is a .308 sized round like the very similar .260 Remington.

The advantages over .308 are mostly at longer distances. 6.5 is flatter shooting at longer ranges than .308 which means less math / dialing / hold over at longer ranges. It is also less effected by wind
    Drift and recoils less than .308.

Hornady has been heavily supporting 6.5 so 6.5 ammo is easier to find and less expensive than .260.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-03-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My problem with the AR-10 pattern rifles is that they feel much bigger than a bolt gun. Bigger and heavier.

Looks like it's becoming an M-LOK world...
    I agree about the MLOK.

My problem with the AR-10 pattern rifles is that they feel much bigger than a bolt gun. Bigger and heavier.

Looks like it's becoming an M-LOK world...
    Glad I'm not the only one. They are so awkward to me compared to a AR15 or bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    6.5 creedmoor is a .308 sized round like the very similar .260 Remington.

The advantages over .308 are mostly at longer distances. 6.5 is flatter shooting at longer ranges than .308 which means less math / dialing / hold over at longer ranges. It is also less effected by wind
    Drift and recoils less than .308.

Hornady has been heavily supporting 6.5 so 6.5 ammo is easier to find and less expensive than .260.
    Hornady also supporting the 6 Creedmore. The 6 Creedmore is reported to be taking over the PRS series.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 01-05-2017 at 11:52 AM.

The 6.5 Grendel fits your list of wants. Near .308 performance, fits onto a AR-15 pattern lower. Also, it's extremely accurate.
    The 308 launches similar weight bullets at higher velocities than the Grendel. 308 bullets with similar ballistics coefficients carry the same velocity but are heavier and deliver more energy. In reality, the Grendel delivers bullets of similar weight and velocities as the 7.62x39 but with less drag
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Hornady also supporting the 6 Creedmore. The 6 Creedmore is reported to be taking over the PRS series.
    Ruger just dropped the .243 chambering for the Ruger Precision Rifle and announced they are replacing it with the 6mm Creedmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Everything's a trade off. 6cm has significantly worse barrel life is than 6.5cm. Just depends on how much you shoot and what your priorities are.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If Hornady factory ammo is what you want to shoot. Get away from Hornady's aggressive pricing on the round they helped develop and market, and there is much less difference.

I haven't been tracking it lately, but when I was looking back in 2015, there was a lot more load data available for various game bullets in .260 than in CM. Likely simply a result of the .260 being around more years, quite a few of them before the long range shooting scene was as popular/fashionable as it has become. Max loads are close between the two, but not identical, and there were more warnings about not using load data interchangeably than there were people saying they did so without problems. The way I formulated the decision tree at the time was, if you wanted to maximize competitiveness at long range shooting games (for all the technical reasons the cartridge was developed), CM made a lot of sense. If you wanted to knock over animals with a variety of bullets at ranges most people regard as responsible (distilling a variety of widely-held opinions here, not necessarily expressing one), the .260 would perform virtually identically, with more load data for more bullets available to start your workups. Then factor in whether your favorite Finnish rifle with a stellar reputation for accuracy is chambered in each from the factory...

Another tangent that I don't remember seeing come up in this thread:
    I have read some posts (likely by the good Doctor, if I remember right), that people running high volumes of fire through autoloaders are doing so with .260, not CM. I'm not an SME, but I'm willing to speculate that it may have something to do with the cases being geometrically closer to proven rapid-fire rounds like the .308 and .30-06.

User Tag List