Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious things seen at local gun shop or shooting range

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Dude you made my day!
    My pleasure. Hope to be able to do it again.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Waiting in line for a range lane today. The RO, who is not really on the range but behind a glass window on the store side of the range so he can process people on to the range, asks a couple of guys ahead of me if they have any questions before going on to the range with their rentals. One of them replies he has never shot a gun before and needs to know how to operate his pistol (M&P9). RO proceeds to give a machine gun pace explanation of how to check for clear, charge and point a pistol. RO then assigns them a lane in the middle so he can keep an eye on them. I do a quick risk calculation and probably foolishly decide to stay. When it’s my turn the RO grants me my request to take the lane by the far wall. Putting me as far away from them as possible.

Perhaps ive reposted this here earlier, but its a tale worth re-telling anyways.

The word "Kimber" takes on a iconic reverence inside a gun store or range counter. The owner becomes an ascended being, an elevated soul, the way someone driving a BMW made before 2005 feels on the open road. Eyes open, mouths open, and egos bloom.

Its the latter symptom of Kimber ownership i'd come to hate this day. Mr Kimber checks in and shows off his beat up, worn Custom II (Not TLE) which may have had a retail value of $600 tops. In the process of bloviating about stopping power and how the 1911 once killed God rather then Nietzche , his pistol wound up pointed at me sitting on the range desk.

" Sir , could you point your pistol in THE safe direction?"

'Hey man its OK, the guns unloaded, you just saw me clear it'

No hoss. You don't get to waive the 4 rules on my range.

"And?"

**annoyed huff** he picks up the gun and points it just off at me."So, my Kimber 45 is pretty cool man....I hit the target real easy at 7 yards ...."

I take the gun, lock the slide open, and point it at the proper safe direction.

Dude didn't like that. Not at all.

"Whyd you touch my gun again?!"

At this I just glared at him. Unfortunately the anti's frequent rant about guns equating to manhood ring true for some folk............
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Perhaps ive reposted this here earlier, but its a tale worth re-telling anyways.

The word "Kimber" takes on a iconic reverence inside a gun store or range counter. The owner becomes an ascended being, an elevated soul, the way someone driving a BMW made before 2005 feels on the open road. Eyes open, mouths open, and egos bloom.

Its the latter symptom of Kimber ownership i'd come to hate this day. Mr Kimber checks in and shows off his beat up, worn Custom II (Not TLE) which may have had a retail value of $600 tops. In the process of bloviating about stopping power and how the 1911 once killed God rather then Nietzche , his pistol wound up pointed at me sitting on the range desk.

" Sir , could you point your pistol in THE safe direction?"

'Hey man its OK, the guns unloaded, you just saw me clear it'

No hoss. You don't get to waive the 4 rules on my range.

"And?"

**annoyed huff** he picks up the gun and points it just off at me."So, my Kimber 45 is pretty cool man....I hit the target real easy at 7 yards ...."

I take the gun, lock the slide open, and point it at the proper safe direction.

Dude didn't like that. Not at all.

"Whyd you touch my gun again?!"

At this I just glared at him. Unfortunately the anti's frequent rant about guns equating to manhood ring true for some folk............
    "I've been around guns muh whole life."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    Two quick stories
    So here in Pennsylvania the first day of gun deer season is the Monday after thanksgiving, so that means that Friday and Saturday after thanksgiving the “hunters” find their rifles run to Walmart buy a box of shells and get ready. I get the pleasure of going to my inlaws Friday and Saturday so I usually head to the local gun club for the “show”. Now this is very rural Pa. in a town that if most have been there that is because they are lost. Anyway, I go to the club and took the .44 contender to shoot at their steel plates and junk at 200 yards, I am bull-shitting to a nice guy who was doing same thing when “they” showed up. 4 guys in car get out walk out to 25 yard backer, staple target, walk back to firing line, load 4 each out of same box of shells into their leaver action guns, line up and shoot like it’s the civil war. After all guns were empty back in the trunk they go, no cases or anything. We watch as they walk out to a target with NO holes on it at all, out of 16 shots not one hit, they point to some holes in backer and proclaim “I think this is one”. And you guessed it back to the car get in and drive away, time for a straub beer and huntin. Straub beer is the beer that is brewed in town, located in St Marys Pennsylvania.
    Story 2
    Same town only at gun store. They are the only sporting goods store in town other than Walmart. I go in just to look at used rack can sometimes find some deals to feed my addiction. I walk in start my search when I over hear the statement “this is a really good gun for women” well fuck now I am listening. So women came in because while hiking she saw a black bear a few times. Kind of common in area, but wants a gun just in case. The gun yep double action only .38 spl Taurus. So sales man shows her how to load it, how to just pull the trigger she is sold. Now time for ammo he does do a good job explaining practice ammo vs carry ammo, I was shocked, she states well just give me the good ones because I will not shoot this unless I have to. She pays, show is over so I though, before she leaves she asks sales guy can you load it for me before I leave AND HE DOES!!! Loaded gun into cardboard box and out the door.
    I walked around for a few seconds then could not help myself so I ask sales guy “did she have a permit?” He says I don’t know and not my problem. In Pa you have to have a permit for concealed carry, if not it is a felony. Still wonder if she kilt the bear that kilt her, or how the hell she is carrying it.
    Pretty impressive when you go to check out a place on Google Maps and the only other things that show up on your screen are "state game lands #25" and "state game lands #293"

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    "I've been around guns muh whole life."
    Said right before he tries releasing the locked-back slide on a handgun by pulling the trigger repeatedly.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

A couple of (unfortunately) true stories that are the reasons I no longer shoot on ranges open to the public and have a backyard range.

Back when I lived in Kennesaw, GA, my normal Saturday morning routine included a trip to Ed's Gun & Tackle in Marietta. That was where I did my usual weekly practice. I am getting checked into the range when I hear a report that sounds a bit louder than usual and one of the shelves holding the handguns on the back wall rattles. After a few clueless moments, I see that there is a hole in one of the doors that separates the sales floor from the range. Yes, someone launched a round from inside the range into the sales floor. Luckily only the door and shelf were damaged. My practice session, of course, never started as I was sufficiently shook to call it a day.

A few years before the above, I was on the line when I witnessed a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Magnum come apart. The top half of the frame flew over the shooter's right shoulder and hit the range wall. The shooter was remarkably calm after the fact and mentioned something about that not being the first time that had happened to him. Yes, he loaded his own ammo.

GardoneVT

You might enjoy this.

I'm at the indoor range shooting my 1911 when a derp sees me shooting my 1911.

Thanks to my electronic ear pro I hear this conversation between "Fur years" and the RSO.

Fur Years: what kind of 1911 is that guy shooting real fast?

RSO: oh that's (redacted) he's shooting his Wilson Combat, really sweet gun

Fur Years: *huff* never heard of them, my buddy has a Colt and I got a top of the line Kimber Custom .45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimber and top of the line are not remotely related !

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Kimber and top of the line are not remotely related !
    They are at big box stores :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List