Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious things seen at local gun shop or shooting range

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Do not receive this wrong,but I've noted when women pick the guns they'll consistently outshoot their male contemporaries given similar skill level.

Of all the proletariat shooters I've seen cross my ranges doorstep,the ones at the top of my subjective RSO performance scale are all female- and not for the reasons you'd initially assume. Guys bring big guns and brag about caliber and brand. The women bring utilitarian hardware and get to work. No smart man today should decide at face value he can outshoot a female.

One of the coolest sights I noted was a pair of women -one older and one younger- who hit the lanes and did good work with a Glock 19 and a .22. No dudes around to gum up the works with ego and bluster as it were.

Whereas when women come with a mixed group of guys, look out.

Note : there's nothing wrong with taking your girl to the range. I get it ,you want to share your hobbies with your better half. But for the love of John Moses Browning, leave your ego at home. When she shoots better then you don't blame the gun,don't blame the sights, and don't blame it on your latte.

Lastly: if she's not interested stop buying guns for her. Especially if she's rather watch paint dry then shoot. Guns and range time ain't for everyone regardless of gender,but you'd be surprised how many gun crazy guys drag their wives to the range hoping she'll catch the bug. When she's standing in the back updating her Facebook rather then shooting your .40 S&W Whatever, that's a clue.

Rant brought to you by GardoneVT.

Nothing unusual about that.

For years I taught classes to civilians, including CCW classes.

It did not take long to figure out that to make things go smoother, that husbands and wives, BFs and GFs needed to be seperated, so the male half would quit "teaching" and showing his "little lady" all the stuff he knew.

The vast majority of men seem to think that they are born with the skill sets to be naturally great drivers, incredible in bed, excellent shots and good fighters. Their ego is very much wrapped up/associated with those things.

What I found (along with a shit load of people who teach firearms related classes) is that women (generally speaking) have no ego wrapped up in dealing with firearms.

Once you discover what their preferred learning method is (auditory, kinesthetic, etc) they actually listen, and apply what you teach them. On an average,when dealing with neophytes, by a considerable margin, it has always been easier to teach women than men to shoot.

Plus I truly think that they have better hand eye coordination.

The female only classes I taught were some of the smoothest classes ever.

The WORST students by far were older men who had been shooting for years. Especially from the generation who grew up with, and used revolvers for years before semi autos became prevalent.

They already know everything (except what a sight picture is actually supposed to look like), don't listen, and absolutely CANNOT keep their finger off the trigger, when their guns are no longer pointed at a target. These "experienced" older male shooters were BY FAR, substantially more dangerous than any other group of shooters.

They stand with their gun pointed somewhere other than the target, with their finger on the trigger.
    Perform reloads with their finger on the trigger.
    Carry on conversations with others, with their finger on the trigger. Etc, etc.

After one incident with a late 70s, early 80s gent named Harold, who when asked to stop shooting, and please join the rest of the class, turned around and began talking to me with his finger on the trigger of his PPK. The hammer was back, and was pointed directly at my chest, at a range of about a foot. After that was resolved, I started calling all older guys who exhibited the same incredible firearms skills "Harold".

I'm sure some of us have before encountered the stereotype of gun owners as being aging, uneducated, bible-thumping, rednecks. Of course most of us know that's BS. Here in Louisville, we only have one indoor gun range for the whole county, and when I worked there, it was nice to see confirmation of that blatant BS.
    Louisville is home to some of the largest refugee populations in the US. That coupled with immigrants makes the city fairly diverse. The demographics of our clients at the range were pretty much a slice of the demographics for the whole metro area. I'm talking all walks of life. We would also get many east coast and west coast tourists as well. I took pride in welcoming and instructing anybody that came in who had a good head on their shoulders. Having said all that, one incident made me wonder about the stereotypes of the polish people. Hey, don't get mad; I have a friend who is part polish lol.
    I was alone working the front counter checking in guests for the range. Keep in my mind we didn't have a dedicated RSO. So I literally was working alone which wasn't uncommon. It was a Sunday, and Sunday's were always the worst. Our regulars would be lined up at the door as soon I unlocked it in the morning, but they were always great. I knew what they needed, what lanes they preferred, and I could get both bays filled in a snap. They'd leave by noon and there would be a dry spell for about an hour, and then all the weirdest mofos would decide to shoot at the range.
    A man in his forties who I recognized came in with his father who I never met before. They wanted a lane together, and they brought their own targets. Not a problem, but the targets were 12" squared. So I gave them a roll of masking tape and told them they'll have to tape their targets onto a larger used target when they get inside the bay. They acknowledged this, and I assigned them a lane. I continued to check in some more clients, so when freed up after a few minutes passed, I decided to check in on the bays.
    "Dammit" I thought to myself. The father and son indeed taped their target up, but not onto a used full-sized target. Instead they taped it directly onto the electric target carrier.
    So I go in, grab a full-size target, and present it to them. I politely explain the problem to them, and the father just stares at me, then at the target carrier, then me, then the carrier again. When he looks back at me one last time, he squints at me and says in a very thick polish accent, "I think we're fine." I thought to myself, are you f'ing serious? And I told him, "no sir, it's not fine." Fortunately his son came forward and took the used target, and all was well. However, when I checked them out, the father was still giving me a pissy look.

Site Supporter
    I was once on a range where one RO disarmed another one in the middle of a big range day safety brief because the RO in question, in demonstrating what was not a safe direction, swept about 50 people who were attending said briefing. I couldn't believe my freaking eyes.

Site Supporter
    Spent some time as the CRSO at a large outdoor shooting facility. I would rather be beaten than do that again.

The range back home host matches on the rifle range. The rifle range is typically only open on Saturdays.
    Every. Single. Surface was covered with bullet marks. Walls, floor, ceiling- with about one mark every 4 square inches.
    It shocks and amazes me every single time.

Then again, I once found a .22lr hole in the side of my target, and 1) I was shooting 9mm 2) there was nobody within 4 lanes of me.

Was shooting at the range and a guy hosting a "ccw class" to a bunch of beginner shooters started trying to give me unsolicited shooting advice.

Motherfucker has his assistant or whatever run downrange and check targets on a hot range. There weren't much people shooting but still. Christ. He tried to lecture me on muzzle orientation when I didn't even point my gun anywhere but the target. Not too keen on taking either shooting or safety tips from someone such as him.

Oh, and this one time I see someone double up his .454 into the roof. Gotta love weekends.

I was at an outdoor range in Southern Indiana. I was sighting in a .308 rifle. I had two targets at about 80 and 100 yards. Several guys to my left were taking turns shooting an AK47. I noticed I had more holes in my targets than the rounds I had fired. One guy to my left was hitting the ground in front of the target, putting debris holes in it. Occasionally he would actually hit the fairly large cardboard box the target was taped to. I asked him "Are you shooting my targets, I'm trying to sight in a rifle and can't tell what I'm doing if you put holes in my f....king target". He said "Which one". So, here I am screaming at a guy with an AK47, and about that time a young lady to my right who was being "instructed" by her boyfriend turns around to talk to him, pointing here pistol at me and he is laughing his butt off. I start waving my hands saying "Ma'am NO!" I thought to myself " If I step back 3 paces, maybe they will shoot each other". I left immediately and haven't been back. The smart people who use that range get there at first light and leave before the crowd shows up. (No RO at this place)
    Last edited by byrdland; 01-06-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Two quick stories
    So here in Pennsylvania the first day of gun deer season is the Monday after thanksgiving, so that means that Friday and Saturday after thanksgiving the “hunters” find their rifles run to Walmart buy a box of shells and get ready. I get the pleasure of going to my inlaws Friday and Saturday so I usually head to the local gun club for the “show”. Now this is very rural Pa. in a town that if most have been there that is because they are lost. Anyway, I go to the club and took the .44 contender to shoot at their steel plates and junk at 200 yards, I am bull-shitting to a nice guy who was doing same thing when “they” showed up. 4 guys in car get out walk out to 25 yard backer, staple target, walk back to firing line, load 4 each out of same box of shells into their leaver action guns, line up and shoot like it’s the civil war. After all guns were empty back in the trunk they go, no cases or anything. We watch as they walk out to a target with NO holes on it at all, out of 16 shots not one hit, they point to some holes in backer and proclaim “I think this is one”. And you guessed it back to the car get in and drive away, time for a straub beer and huntin. Straub beer is the beer that is brewed in town, located in St Marys Pennsylvania.
    Story 2
    Same town only at gun store. They are the only sporting goods store in town other than Walmart. I go in just to look at used rack can sometimes find some deals to feed my addiction. I walk in start my search when I over hear the statement “this is a really good gun for women” well fuck now I am listening. So women came in because while hiking she saw a black bear a few times. Kind of common in area, but wants a gun just in case. The gun yep double action only .38 spl Taurus. So sales man shows her how to load it, how to just pull the trigger she is sold. Now time for ammo he does do a good job explaining practice ammo vs carry ammo, I was shocked, she states well just give me the good ones because I will not shoot this unless I have to. She pays, show is over so I though, before she leaves she asks sales guy can you load it for me before I leave AND HE DOES!!! Loaded gun into cardboard box and out the door.
    I walked around for a few seconds then could not help myself so I ask sales guy “did she have a permit?” He says I don’t know and not my problem. In Pa you have to have a permit for concealed carry, if not it is a felony. Still wonder if she kilt the bear that kilt her, or how the hell she is carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by oakdalecurtis View Post
    I was preparing to shoot in an HD simulator training scenario, my gun, real bullets. I slid a fully loaded old military magazine in my Kimber .45 and stepped to the line. I thumbed the slide release, Mr. Kimber slammed shut, and I came to the ready. Just as the scenario began to unfold on the screen, the spot welds on the magazine floor plate let go. The floor plate, magazine spring, follower and all 7 rounds went out the bottom of the Kimber, all bouncing around at my feet. I racked the slide to eject the one round still in the chamber, and I remember feeling like I just got a classic lesson in "Murphy's Law", and what can happen when one uses crappy old magazines. I now only use Wilson mags with a crimped bottom. If it can go wrong..........
    Well I've heard of "dumping ammo" before but you sir, have taken it to a whole other level.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"I'm not Dutch...I really don't understand your point."
    Dude you made my day!

User Tag List