Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone recommend a range 9mm with all the perks?

What you are looking for is a Smith & Wesson Model 952. Too bad they don't make those any more.

Of current production guns, the CZ Shadow 2 seems the closest. They have relatively slim butts as double column 9mms go and are good shooters.

It would take quite a high end 1911 or a bit of gunsmithing to qualify a bog standard pistol. The Springfield Armory Range Officer with trigger refined to say 3.5 lbs would be adequate.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    One thing on the high powers - the reset is pretty crappy compared to everything else you listed in my opinion. They're great guns, but I don't want you to get disappointed on something you were unaware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If I was in your position I'd look hard at the Glock platform.

Essentially, when I want a target gun, I buy one, when I want a smaller gun, I buy that, etc.

If trying new guns or buying them is much harder the Glock can be made into almost anything. You can work on it yourself and get a new barrel, sights, and trigger to make a bullseye gun, put a red dot on it, etc.

If you can get multiple slides, your options open up even further to something stock, something target focused, etc.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Of the options you've already astutely summarzied, I'd lean towards the CZ Shadow or a 5" steel frame 9mm 1911. STI makes good guns but they might not be sold in Oz. If you end up settling on the 9mm 1911, post back here with what you're able to get your hands on and we can give you specific make/model suggestions.

Honestly I think the 'no brainer' choice will be the CZ as they have great international support and likely to give you fewer issues than a 9mm 1911 but both are worth considering carefully. The glock 34 is also a good option if you're OK with a striker fired pistol (vs hammer fired SAO).

I'm going to say since you're in Aus, get a CZ Shadow 2 since there is a huge scene over there for the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by wylie27 View Post
    Hey where in Oz are you?

Sydney here, if your in sydney I would be happy to let you have a shoot of my 1911 and the shadow 2 when my pta finally arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I'm about 12hrs away from where you are - living in the sticks - one of the reason I'm doing all the web-research.

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I'm about 12hrs away from where you are - living in the sticks - one of the reason I'm doing all the web-research.
    What type of target shooting? Are we talking bullseye type target shooting? Shooting for high score with as many X's as possible? Or some other type target?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    What type of target shooting? Are we talking bullseye type target shooting? Shooting for high score with as many X's as possible? Or some other type target?
    Hi UNK,

X's? What are those? .... I'd be happy to get 10's at the moment. ;-)

Looking at Service and WA / PPC type events. I might have a bash at IPSC one day - but yes - at this stage it will be more bullseye type of shooting.
    Last edited by -ad-; 01-03-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Hi UNK,

X's? What are those? .... I'd be happy to get 10's at the moment. ;-)

Looking at Service and WA / PPC type events. I might have a bash at IPSC one day - but yes - at this stage it will be more bullseye type of shooting.
    So If you have a bash at IPSC you will get a different gun for that?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    So If you have a bash at IPSC you will get a different gun for that?
    If I have enough money at the time. But in reality - there's no IPSC club around so any IPSC shooting would not be common. Primarily I'd be looking more for a bullseye gun, and would probably double it up as IPSC if the situation presented itself - otherwise I'd just mostly use it for bulls eye.

Is there much of a difference in requirements between bullseye and IPSC? (I would have thought a bulls eye gun would double for IPSC - but having never done IPSC before it was only an assumption).

User Tag List