Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone recommend a range 9mm with all the perks?

Being a target shooting gun, an Australian version of CZ Shadow may fit the bill. I believe that Tanfoglios are there too. I wouldn't use either for anything other than target shooting though.

Springfield 9mm Range Officer. I'd forgo the adjustable sights and get the operator.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...e-officer-9mm/
    Last edited by KCBRUIN; 01-02-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
    Springfield 9mm Range Officer. I'd forgo the adjustable sights and get the operator.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...e-officer-9mm/
    Why would you forgo adjustable sight on a range / target only gun ?

I'd want the rail. You can order adjustable sights after the fact, adding a rail is much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Being a target shooting gun, an Australian version of CZ Shadow may fit the bill. I believe that Tanfoglios are there too. I wouldn't use either for anything other than target shooting though.
    These would be my suggestion as well. Probably a bit less expensive than the full monty XFive, but more expensive than a standard Sig, though I can't say I know the AU market.

I do think a Sig P226 of some sort would be an excellent option for you, though. The DA pull tends to come smooth out of the box, and they break in very nicely after a few thousand rounds. If you get a model with the Short Reset Trigger (SRT) group, the SA pull has almost zero travel and the reset is ridiculously short. This option can be installed by Sig, a qualified gunsmith, or yourself if it isn't going to get you in legal trouble. A P225 may be something to look at if you are married to the idea of a single-stack.

Sigs and CZ are usually a great option OCONUS due to how long the platforms have been in use and in so many countries. There are often mags and parts or distribution channels where there may not be for other guns.

Site Supporter
    Germany is restricting SIG Germany from exporting guns due to internal politics.

If there is a chance SIG USA guns will be imported instead the P226 SAO, particularly the legion SAO would be a good alternative to the X5. You would need to add adjustable sights though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. After a quick look through this thread and brief online search, I've summarised my options:

Glock 34 - Striker Fired. Without having the opportunity to try one, this concerns me. I'm really after a light trigger with a short reset, and it seems as though while they're probably a nice handgun - it's probalby not going to give me the trigger I'm looking for after experiencing the P226 X5. (Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong)...

Browning Hi Power Standard - Adjustable sights. SAO. External Hammer - Seems like an option. I'd need to get a custom job done on it to get the trigger the way that I want, but seems to fit most of the other criteria I'm looking for.

CZ Shadow - Appears to be available in SAO. External Hammer - another possibility worth pursuing more...

Springfield 1911 - Range Officer - Again. External hammer, SAO. Yet another possibility worth pursuing more...

Tanfoglios - yet another good alternative - however looking at the price, I'm wondering why spend that much when I can get a SIG for the same, but then...

While a SIG P220 with SRT sounds really like what I'm looking for - now that I know the issue isn't with Australian importers, but at the German side of things this might be an impossibility.

Well, that gives me an idea of what pistols to look into further. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Germany is restricting SIG Germany from exporting guns due to internal politics.

If there is a chance SIG USA guns will be imported instead the P226 SAO, particularly the legion SAO would be a good alternative to the X5. You would need to add adjustable sights though.
    Thanks for the information. In the end I wonder if I'll be satisfied with anything other than a X5 after the experience - but it's all about experience and learning and trying new things. (That one can afford )

Will be interesting to see what the distributors in Australia end up doing in regards to SIG importing...

Hey where in Oz are you?

Sydney here, if your in sydney I would be happy to let you have a shoot of my 1911 and the shadow 2 when my pta finally arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If you decide to pursue the 1911 angle, you might want to wait until later this year when Colt's new Gold Cup Trophy becomes available. It will have some nice features including a match barrel, checkered front strap, magazine well, adjustable rear sight with fiber optic front. To be available in 9mm as well as .45ACP.

I'd also say you should go the 1911 route only if you really want a 1911 and know the reasons why. It will be important to understand the pros and cons -- they can be very rewarding pistols but aren't for everyone.

If not the 1911 I think the Sig SAO, CZ, or Hi-Power could be viable choices.

User Tag List