Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone recommend a range 9mm with all the perks?

Can someone recommend a range 9mm with all the perks?

Good Morning,

Living in Australia I can't go down to the local store and try a whole lot of pistols to see what I like. (I envy you guys in the USA!)

As such, I was wondering if I could get some advise for a pistol for me so I know what to try and get my hands on for a go...

In particular, I'm looking for a 9mm for Target Shooting:

- Adjustable Sights
    - Adjustable Trigger Weight, Position and Reset (preferred but not essential - otherwise a nice light trigger)
    - Single Action Only. (DA is OK if SA has a very short distance travel and light trigger, but SAO preferred)
    - Narrow grip for small hands.

An external hammer is preferable, but not essential.

I've tried a P226 X5 with all the adjustable options and found it fantastic. Beautiful trigger, great to use. I'd love something similar but with the 4.4" barrel instead, and the single stack mag / narrower grip.

My initial thought was on a Sig P220, but I've been told that New Sig's aren't being imported into Australia at the moment and the dealer I spoke to said they have no idea / ETA on when we will be receiving. (Additionally I'm not sure if the P220 has adjustable trigger weight, position and reset).

I also loved the way the P226 slide release doesn't separate from the frame - just seemed a little neater. (I'm prone to losing small things :-) )

I've mentioned SAO as the double actions I've had experience with (admittedly only 2 of the cheapest options) had long travel and were quite heavy. With the limited experience I'm aware that there could be good quality / nicer ones out there so I'm open to recommendations.

Can anyone recommend something to look at?

Thanks & Regards

Adam.

Glock 34 Gen 4 an option?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Glock 34 Gen 4 an option?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    I've never seen or held a Glock before - so I have no idea initially. I've done a google search and came across their website. The trigger seems to be fixed (Specs say 4.5lb). Are you able to confirm if these are SAO or SA/DA please as the website and brochure seems to be limiting with information?

Thanks & Regards

Adam.
    Last edited by -ad-; 01-02-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    I think a Sig is going to match the best, but there's lots of options, including 1911s in 9mm.

I haven't seen any pistols that allow variations of trigger weight without changing springs, and reset is usually fixed mechanically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Glocks are striker fired. The striker is not fully cocked, the trigger pull finishes cocking the striker so they are legally classified as DAO in the United States. There is only one trigger pull though.

The trigger pull can be modified using various drop in parts, triggers, connectors etc.

The strength of the Glock is you can be your own armorer and parts and accessories such as sights are ubiquitous.

Not sure what a G34 costs in Australia but you could buy three or four G34's with drop in match triggers and Dawson adjustable sights here for the cost of an X5.

The Generation 4 Glocks have a smaller grip than the X5 or the older generation Glocks.

Another option would be a 9mm 1911 or 9mm STI 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I think a Sig is going to match the best, but there's lots of options, including 1911s in 9mm.

I haven't seen any pistols that allow variations of trigger weight without changing springs, and reset is usually fixed mechanically.
    Thanks. I'm fairly confident that the highest model P226 X5 has all these options by adjusting grub screws. (IIRC there were 3 separate grub screws one for each - no change of spring required). However that's beyond the price I'm hoping to pay in my instance. :-) If I have to change springs, that's OK (provided it's easy to do - I'd prefer to be able to do it myself if it's required. )

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Glocks are striker fired. The striker is not fully cocked, the trigger pull finishes cocking the striker so they are legally classified as DAO in the United States. There is only one trigger pull though.

The trigger pull can be modified using various drop in parts, triggers, connectors etc.

The strength of the Glock is you can be your own armorer and parts and accessories such as sights are ubiquitous.

Not sure what a G34 costs in Australia but you could buy three or four G34's with drop in match triggers and Dawson adjustable sights here for the cost of an X5.

The Generation 4 Glocks have a smaller grip than the X5 or the older generation Glocks.

Another option would be a 9mm 1911 or 9mm STI 2011.
    Thanks for the info...

Do the trigger mods in the glocks change the weight / change it from striker fired, or will it always be that way. (I'm assuming that striker fired means that there will be additional weight as well as travel required to fully cock - so might not be what I'm chasing)?

You're right about the price difference between a G34 and X5 - one of the reasons why I'm asking for suggestions.

I'm not familiar with 1911's. (I know - it seems every man and his dog has had one at some stage on this forum - but I'm in a different country remember ) - but I'll check out those and the 2011's on the web to see if they might suit what I need. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Thanks for the info...

Do the trigger mods in the glocks change the weight / change it from striker fired, or will it always be that way. (I'm assuming that striker fired means that there will be additional weight as well as travel required to fully cock - so might not be what I'm chasing)?

You're right about the price difference between a G34 and X5 - one of the reasons why I'm asking for suggestions.

I'm not familiar with 1911's. (I know - it seems every man and his dog has had one at some stage on this forum - but I'm in a different country remember ) - but I'll check out those and the 2011's on the web to see if they might suit what I need. Thanks.
    The Glock will always be striker fired. The aftermarket parts can reduce the weight of the trigger pull and in some instances reduce the pre-travel though too much pre-travel reduction can compromise safety.

The upside is these Glock modifications is they are normally drop in parts. The Glock is simple to work on. If you don't like them you can easily remove them and return the gun to stock conditions.

Browning Hi Power Standard. Adjustable sight, single action only, great grip, external hammer.

The downside is the trigger...can be made very nice but will take removing the mag safety and some polishing/gunsmith work.

But a Classic beauty. Something to pass along to the kids.

Using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Thanks. I'm fairly confident that the highest model P226 X5 has all these options by adjusting grub screws. (IIRC there were 3 separate grub screws one for each - no change of spring required). However that's beyond the price I'm hoping to pay in my instance. :-) If I have to change springs, that's OK (provided it's easy to do - I'd prefer to be able to do it myself if it's required. )
    Changing a modern Sig spring is as simple as removing the grip panels, pushing up on the seat with a screwdriver, and replacing in reverse order.

1911s are similar, but generally the trigger travel is so short the pull weight seems lighter than it is.

P226s can be had sao like a 1911, and outside of the slide release can be used just about the same.

User Tag List