Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any benefit to a "recoil training pistol"?

Alternatively, if you just want training benefit, buy some Lawman 115+P and shoot it through your Glock 19 -- it will feel about like .40 in a Glock 22/35.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Alternatively, if you just want training benefit, buy some Lawman 115+P and shoot it through your Glock 19 -- it will feel about like .40 in a Glock 22/35.
    And no new gun? No new gun.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

On the flip side I have been shooting a lot of reloads. I didn't realize how much less recoil they had than my carry ammo. I shot some of my carry ammo and it felt like a different caliber.

I think I need to work up a load that mimics my carry stuff.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Isn't Federal American Eagle loaded to HST specs? Isn't Lawman loaded to Gold Dot specs? Maybe I should simply be spending a couple extra bucks and run 147gr. practice and training ammo instead of Winchester or Freedom 115gr. weaksauce ammo?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Prior to finding this place, I did a small amount (15k) of shooting through a .40 sub compact. It taught me recoil control, and what I had to do in order to manage it. I wouldn't recommend buying a "trainer" for this purpose, but it was just where I was at on my journey. As suggested, +P, and / or stricter time standards would be easier and less expensive. If you are able to track your sights in recoil, try different grip techniques and ways of placing pressure / control over the gun. Watch the height and direction of the recoil and see what yields the best results. If you have access to a weopon mounted laser, it can do the same thing by tracking the dot.
    Taking a break from social media.

1776 I did that same thing a while back and ended bumping up my reloads to approximate my HST carry ammo, though still not quite that hot. I saw some load data on VV's website that pushes a 147gr to 177PF. Pretty crazy how hot 9mm can get these days.

I really appreciate the input on this from everyone. I may train for recoil management with a macho caliber, but I'm not going to order my 1911 in it. I thought about this a lot last night. It would be silly to relegate my new blaster to safe duty right off the bat, just because I ordered it in a caliber that I don't actually enjoy. I did think of a way to preserve my manliness and possibly stay in JMB's good graces though: 9mm/38 super combo.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is that the load you mentioned as +P? I've shot thousands of it since taking your reco on it a year ago. Good stuff. I could tell it was on the warmer side, didn't realize to +P.

Side note, I was shocked this weekend to see how the Tula I also tried from SGammo ($152/1000) performed at 25 yds. Pretty solid cheapo stuff.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Is that the load you mentioned as +P? I've shot thousands of it since taking your reco on it a year ago. Good stuff. I could tell it was on the warmer side, didn't realize to +P.

Side note, I was shocked this weekend to see how the Tula I also tried from SGammo ($152/1000) performed at 25 yds. Pretty solid cheapo stuff.
    In my experience, PMC is one of the lowest power factor "good" shooter loads, AE 124 and 147 in the middle of power factor, and Lawman at the high end. Here is PCC chrono numbers from yesterday thru my MPX.

MPX 147 Lawman 1,085
    MPX 115 PMC 1,238

The Lawman 147 calculates to 159.5 power factor, but feels like .22 in the MPX.

Looks like I did a good thing by getting that case of Lawman on my last order. I was wondering why I was seemingly slower lately...

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List