Thread: Looking for a (better) vision

Looking for a (better) vision

OK, background: I’ve read a lot of threads on shooting with prescription glasses, but didn’t find an optimal solution. I’m an old guy (65+), genetically very near-sighted. Corrected with glasses to around 20/30, 20/20 on a good day (based on eye chart). Daily specs are progressive bifocals. Front sight is fuzzy through distance portion of lens, and requires too much backward craning of neck to bring into focus with lower (reading) portion of lens. Shooting is OK out to 10, maybe 15 yards, but falls off dramatically after that. Ophthalmologist fixed me up with a single focus lens for master (right) eye that focuses primarily on front sight (actually, a bit in front, so both sight and target are relatively sharp. Great for the range, not suitable for everyday wear. Alternatively, I have a couple of pistols equipped with red dots (RMRs), and I shoot them pretty well with regular glasses, particularly at distances (groups are maybe half those with prescription glasses; can pretty easily keep everything in the IDPA head box at 25 yards). But, even after considerable practice, my initial target acquisition isn’t as fast as it is with irons, particularly up close. Plus, I don’t have 100% confidence in them, having had to send a couple back for “blinking out”, even after various battery “stabilization” efforts (tape, lightly bending contacts, etc.).

I would really like to find out if anyone (again, think old guy with bad eyes, mostly corrected) has a good solution for getting a crisp sight picture with irons. I intend to continue to work on speeding up with initial acquisition with the RMR, but I’d really like to be able to depend on the irons.

Oh, my eye doc said Lasik was an option, but that because of the shape of my eyeballs (flat, relatively, I think he said) and amount of correction needed, he wasn’t hopeful that I could have sharp focus on both near and far objects.

Magic solutions? Or keep at it with red dot?

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

I have been using monovision shooting glasses like yours for some years now. I have not taken the step to a dot, and just figure that my street glasses will have to be good enough at urban self defense ranges.
    I know of no magic solution that would give you correction and youthful accommodation.

I know or know of people with street glasses, contacts, Lasik, and implants set up for monovision, that is what they see all the time. I don't think I could get used to that, half a day at a shooting match is ample fun for me.

The only other option I know of is the upper bifocal arrangement. Your shooting eye lens has a bifocal segment in the upper or upper inside area of the lens. You only have to dip your head slightly to see the sights clearly. I know one guy who does this.
    The Hansen Eagle Eye is the brand I know of, but it should be possible for your ophthalmologist to do locally. He might even be able to put a shooting segment on a progressive or bifocal lens so you would have shooting, distance, and reading all in one.
    http://www.hansenseagleeye.info/eagle-eye-brand.html

Otherwise, you need a combat rated red dot.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 01-12-2017 at 12:19 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List