Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Grail Gun: 686 CS-1

Quote Originally Posted by Nj Det 354 View Post
    Ruger also made a 3 inch Speed Six for NYPD. It was a stainless .38 DAO spurless hammer. One of the best shooting wheel guns I have. Ruger also made a GP 100 for NYPD that was marked GPNY. They started making them when they stopped making the Six Series guns. They were 3 inch and 4 inch .38 frosted finish stainless. Spurless DAO full under lug.The 3 inch is one of the best pointing guns made.
    Yep. The 3" DAO Ruger Speed and Service Sixes are simply great "carry tools". They are pure tool, nothing more, nothing less.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Ruger made both.
    I wasn't doubting that, DB...just pointing out that the standard was 2 3/4" instead of 2 1/2". I should've made that more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Yep.....or Chuck Whitlock bought it out from under you...;-)
    I wish!! After all this discussion, I WILL pay closer attention to the snubby -Six's when I see them at gun shows/pawn shops.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I have both a 3" and a 4" CS-1. I bought the 4" years ago, when the contract overrun guns were getting out to the dealers. I was at the OGCA and ran into Ken Hackathorn. Ken took me to a dealer's table who had both barrel lengths. I ended up buying a 4". It has been a great revolver. No issues at all. I then go the 3" from an ad on the forum a couple years ago. I haven't shot the 3" much, but it seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They also had some 4" used for revolver familiarization fire.
    On 9/11/01 I was at FLETC attending FITP and we completed revolver qualification (it was still required then) shooting 4" 686s for the qual. Went on break just in time to see the second plane slam into the WTC - so it's not a day I'll likely forget before I die. I shudder to think what a 3" CS revolver would bring nowadays - and I envy my "older" (longer employed) comrades who were able to buy commemorative Rugers when my agency transitioned from round guns to M11s...

Congrats on the great find, TC!
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 01-10-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_3506.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  103.9 KBMy pair of CS-1s. I don't know why I didn't get a three inch too.

Well, my new revolver arrived at my FFL last night and I picked it up this morning. It's in very nice shape. A little bit of holster wear, and a heavy turn line, nut that's about it. The DA trigger is probably the best I've had on an L-frame. Not as good as the old N-frames I've had, but still good. I'm not sure how I feel about the all black front sight, but I'm going to leave it stock. I'm looking forward to shooting it-- The 3" barrel feels just right, so far.

User Tag List