Thread: Original Cobra question

Original Cobra question

I stopped in a shop yesterday and they had a Colt Cobra at a very reasonable price. The ejector rod seems to have a bit of a bend to it, and the finish was a very dull matte. I looked for signs of a refinish job but didn't see anything that stood out. Did Colt do these in a dull blue?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

They made the Agent in a dull gray matte that almost looked parkerized, otherwise I have only seen polished blue or nickel for all D frames. Bent ejector is not that unusual, and the parts are getting harder to find.

Blue or nickel are all I have ever seen on a Cobra. They are the "Snake gun" of the snubs and always had the best finishes. The Agents had the lesser finishes and were a bit more of the working mans carry gun and geared to LE where the customer base is basically cheap and not looking for pretty just reliable. Sort of like a model 28 compared to a model 27 with the Smith's.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have a several Cobras and an older Agent, all 60's vintage. The aluminum frames on all of them are shinier than the barrels and cylinders, but still are polished blue. I have a 1952 vintage DS that has a more matte finish than the newer guns. Bent ejector rods are one of the potential issues with older Colts. The late model Agents with the shrouded ejector rods are often found in a matte or parkerized finish. My '52, allegedly a former LAPD gun:
    Name:  IMG_6242.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  76.8 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I have a several Cobras and an older Agent, all 60's vintage. The aluminum frames on all of them are shinier than the barrels and cylinders, but still are polished blue. I have a 1952 vintage DS that has a more matte finish than the newer guns. Bent ejector rods are one of the potential issues with older Colts. The late model Agents with the shrouded ejector rods are often found in a matte or parkerized finish. My '52, allegedly a former LAPD gun:
    Name:  IMG_6242.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  76.8 KB
    Dibs....:-)
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Just scored this LH Lewis Police Special holster for the '52 vintage DS. I suppose DB wants dibs on this too...

Name:  pix323311352.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by LtDave; 01-08-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

It looked like ejector rods were available at Jack First, (may be new made parts, they also have replacement rod heads and one piece rods/heads), and Numrich may have some. Numrich can take time to look through all the possible variations of models, if theres much difference, the part may only be listed in the exact model, though it would function on another if need be.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-08-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    It looked like ejector rods were available at Jack First, (may be new made parts, they also have replacement rod heads and one piece rods/heads), and Numrich may have some. Numrich can take time to look through all the possible variations of models, if theres much difference, the part may only be listed in the exact model, though it would function on another if need be.
    I've ordered parts from numrich for older model colts and got parts for newer model colts. I'm not sure how reliable numrich is. Buyer beware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I've ordered parts from numrich for older model colts and got parts for newer model colts. I'm not sure how reliable numrich is. Buyer beware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hey! they are SO much better than they used to be. 10 years ago, you might order a cylinder for an S&W & receive a lever for a '73 Winchester!

User Tag List