Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Colt M16 A2

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    And the three-point flash hider.
    So it's a repro XM16E1 then.

EDIT: Well, kind of, the E1 had a three prong flash suppressor when it was type-standardized as the A1, which later got the bird cage but no new designation. For some reason I thought the flash suppressor was changed in the package that added the forward assist.

When I was still a green buck sergeant in the early 80s we did have M16s, no A#, and XM16e1s, and even a rifle or two with chromed bolt carriers, in the arms rooms at Ft Lewis.
    Last edited by Drang; 01-01-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

FWIW and not sure if it's been menitoned in other threads or not, but Troy is building commemorative copycats of the XM177E2 and GAU-5/A/A.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

When I first started working armed security for the feds 10 years ago I got issued a Colt M16A1 with A2 handguards. I liked the full auto and the lighter weight but I really liked the large aperture on the A2's. Finally have an FN M4 now and it's a huge improvement over an M16 for what I need it for but the handguard and rear sight suck and the folks calling the shots are stuck in 1967 and don't believe in actually hanging anything on the rails. I work nights, at least let me put a fucking light on the damn thing.

Anywho, yeah. There's a small but dedicated market for stuff like this. Troy I think has a CAR-15 replica that's kinda spendy and FN has their repro line of the modern stuff that is up there in price too. Some folks want EXACTLY (or as close as legally allowed) what is/was issued and are willing to pay for it. I'm a collector of old military stuff but for me, close enough is close enough.

If anyone cares, In Range TV on youtube and Full30.com did a short series about running Vietnam-era clones in a Vietnam-themed 2-gun match recently. Not a lot to be learned but entertaining anyway. One guy was running the Troy carbine too.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 01-01-2017 at 07:47 PM.

See I am lucky, all of my combat experience was with a M4A1. All I have to do is buy a colt 6920 and add a knights armament rail to the front end... bam!

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    See I am lucky, all of my combat experience was with a M4A1. All I have to do is buy a colt 6920 and add a knights armament rail to the front end... bam!
    Kids these days....

I'd like to get one of these new M16A1 clones, as that's what I was issued during my time as a Marine. But from the projected prices these guns are going to be selling for, I don't need a range toy that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    FWIW and not sure if it's been menitoned in other threads or not, but Troy is building commemorative copycats of the XM177E2 and GAU-5/A/A.
    I'm not interested in an M16Anything, but an XM177E2...yeah.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I'd like to get one of these new M16A1 clones, as that's what I was issued during my time as a Marine. But from the projected prices these guns are going to be selling for, I don't need a range toy that bad.
    Same here. Especially if it came with a group therapy switch.

I liked the 1911 selection more than any of the other stuff...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    The 6920 barrel is too long

If I remember correctly, according to an SME on another site, Colt is contracting the assembly of these rifles out to another company
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List