Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 RFI

Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 RFI

Hi - Looking for some holster advice.

I have had mixed success with holsters, being new to concealed carry in 2015. I've tried both traditional strong side IWB as well as AIWB recently, with multiple kydex holsters from a well-regarded holster maker.

Due to my particular physical characteristics, AIWB is not working well due to too much gut, as well as uncomfortable poking in my gentleman area. (As they say, AIWB is not for everyone.)

As to my experience with IWB, for both examples I've tried (for a duty sized double stack, as well as a subcompact single stack) is that there is much more sliding "down" than I am comfortable with. Meaning, the holster/gun combo slides or pulls down (gravity). Although this is likely due in part to the aforementioned gut, exacerbating this issue for me is that inner side of kydex holsters are fairly slippery, against my clothing, at least for me.

What happens with my IWB holsters is that I end up doing up my belt so tight, in order to prevent it slipping, that it ends up being uncomfortable.

I can certainly stand to lose a few more pounds, and am taking steps to do that in 2017. Meanwhile, I am ready to try to consider other options. One is a leather IWB.

After doing some research, I've determined that Milt Sparks leather makes the best classic IWB design, the Versa Max 2, which as I understand has been very popular over the years. Given that, it seems likely to me that a VM2 might make a good option for me for a leather IWB holster for my P30SK.

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any advice about Milt Sparks, the Versa Max 2, or leather IWB holsters in general.

At $125 for a cowhide version, it will be a fairly expensive commitment. Based on their website, there is also up to an 18 week wait. Hence, getting some information from the experts on the forum before I make this call.

Specifically:

Do you find a good IWB holster slips "less" downward, than an equivalent kydex? (I'm assuming the leather design "fills" more of the void between belt and pant, and the inner leather surface has a higher coefficient of friction than slippery kydex.)

Do you need to tighten your belt awkwardly with a leather IWB? (My hope is not)

Any thoughts on PTD loops vs. clips for IWB use? (I'm fine with PTDs)

Do you find that you can "move" the holster around on your belt if needed? I.e. from behind the hip, to directly off the hip, to slightly forward?

I'm a lefty, if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

I use a pair of VM-2 with my P30, and I own copies for guns as varied as K-frames to 1911-pattern guns to Beretta 92. I have been using VM-2 holsters for close to fifteen years, and I have much the same issues with AIWB. So my thoughts:

1) Get a VM-2 with 1.5-inch loops.
    2) Get a good belt that fits the holster loops. The loops do not allow the gun to shift unlike the clips.
    3) Great holster that requires a bit of fiddling to best conceal the gun. Once you figure out the sweet spot, it is very comfortable and provides excellent concealment.
    4) The horsehide is worth the upgrade as it provides a stiffer, more sweat-resistant holster.
    5) A pair of holsters swapped daily is the best as it allows the holster to dry between usage.
    Last edited by farscott; 01-01-2017 at 05:38 PM.

I carried a Commander 9 years in a VM2.
    It totally concealed that weapon on me wearing a T or polo.

Very comfortable and very secure. It will not move around.

The loops are available in three sizes, 1.25 1.5 and 1.75.

You will not have to cinch down your belt, I don't think.

I had the cowhide and it was fine.

My father is about 5'7" and 190 lbs or so. Perhaps a similar body type? He carries a full sized pistol in a VM2 I bought for him a number of years ago. Even with the leather, he has had issues with having to keep his belt overly tight (enough to create discomfort) in order to keep his pants/gun where he wants them. I think leather is certainly better in regards to friction than kydex, but perhaps not enough to make a definitive difference, IDK. I know it might not be popular fashion-wise, but his solution most days is a pair of suspenders.

Re holster availability, check Top Gun Supply. They keep a wide selection of VM2s (including for HKs) in stock for immediate purchase. Brownells also keeps some Sparks model holsters in stock, although I don't recall if the VMII is one of them. Just FYI.

Here's a link to TGS: http://www.topgunsupply.com/holsters/milt-sparks.html

Rich, try putting some of this on the holster http://www.soles2dance.com/Suede-she.../suede-diy.htm , I have used it on a few and it works great and is super easy to install.

Also, suspenders work, not fashionable but if you get smaller ones (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...cessor=content) they go un-noticed under a polo or button down shirt untucked. You will have to do a little modifying to the clips but they work great.

Hope that helps.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Mole skin on the back of kydex helps keep it in place and I find it adds comfort.

I personally prefer the Milt Sparks Summer Special or Summer Special 2 to the VM2. The rough out SS keeps the gun anchored while the VM2 can be slippery, and I'm 6'3, 205.

There is a definite difference in SS2 between guns. The SS2 is perfect for Glocks, yet sits way lower for a SIG, to the point of interfering with establishing a grip. For a 226, much prefer the original SS over anything else.

Rich,

Top Gun Supply will likely have them quicker. Check with them often, they have a steady pipeline.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/holsters...rsa-max-2.html

I have no VMII experience. I have carried IWB strong side in hybrid holsters since Feb 2013. I'm 6' 165lbs. Pretty different build, but I have had sag issues as well. They really went away when i started wearing a decent belt. Not neccessarily a big belt, but a stiff one that didn't rely on a buckle that could slowly loosen over the course of the day. That helped me far more then soft leather toward me vs. rough leather toward me ever did.

I think if you get a stiff belt that cant loosen over time like many (not all) web belts you would be all set. A proper belt can only let the pistol sag so much, because it wont be able to fall any farther.

I could be far off. Maybe you already use an awesome belt. I can tell you that having used hybrids for a few years im moving toward kydex not leather. It hilda up better over time. Eitherway i hope you find what works for you.

-Cory

I use the vm2 and the nexus for my les baer, 226, and Glock 43. Extremely comfy, no issues printing. Buy a sparks belt to match and call it a day.

I used a summer special and then a vm2 when I carried a 1911 and still have them. I am a Milt Sparks fan boy. The vm2 is nice because the loops are on either side of the body of the holster and spreads the weight well. I use the loops and they match my belt width of 1.5". I like the loops because they allow me to put on and take off the gun without removing my belt. I have not tried the clips. The cant of the holster is intended for behind the hip carry and will work best from 3 to 4 o'clock. If you are not using a gun belt, that could contribute to sag. I use a raven concealment holster IWB and it works as well as a vm2. So I would look at your belt and loop size matching the belt first.

User Tag List