Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Buffers and Springs

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Necropost

I’m relatively new to working on ARs. I bought a used carbine M&P 15 which shoots fine and is very accurate. I noticed last week that it was throwing the brass between 1 and 2 o’clock. I cleaned it well and noticed that the gas rings were very loose so I checked them as I was shown in the Army by standing the bolt and carrier up on the bolt...it collapsed. I replaced the gas rings and while replacing things replaced the extractor spring, silicon insert, and o-ring (all those were bought from BCM).

Today I shot it again and it still deposits the brass between 1 & 2 o’clock. Looking at the buffer, the face seems beat to hell. I ordered a new “H” buffer (currently has a carbine buffer) and spring from BCM today. Otherwise this gun runs well. No other problems. Depending on which video you watch or publication you read you may or may not have a problem.

Am I overthinking this?
    Yes you are overthinking this.

Who would have thought that one day people would be just as concerned, if not more concerned, with the accuracy of the brass as they are the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Yes, failure to chamber rounds. Multiple weapons, over half a decade of usage, finally figured it out. No more milspec action springs, no more issues.
    Less general fiddle fuck, far less issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Less general fiddle fuck, far less issues.
    Yes, upgraded springs prevent fiddlefuck and reliability problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Yes, upgraded springs prevent fiddlefuck and reliability problems.
    Not engaging in fiddle fuck to start with prevents far more issues.

What ever happened to all that Hodge business? I figured you’d have bought a unicorn by now and all your problems would be over.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not engaging in fiddle fuck to start with prevents far more issues.

What ever happened to all that Hodge business? I figured you’d have bought a unicorn by now and all your problems would be over.
    I've had my 14.5 hodge mod 2 for over a year. Did you miss the review? Short answer is that I love it.
    You realize i used the sprinco springs to fix factory noveske and daniel defense guns, right?

Site Supporter
    He’s picking and choosing without context to fit his narrative. Who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I’ve got the Super 42 setup in a few rifles of mine. Just do a Sprinco Blue/H2 buffer setup in a 16” carbine gassed AR. I’m running the Super 42/H2 in my 11.5” BCM and my 9” BCM 300BLK. There’s no “twang” sound from the buffer tube which is nice. Setup runs fine. I like Geissele stuff so I figured I’d give them a try. But the Sprinco Blue/H2 is a little cheaper.
    Necroing pretty hard here, but at least you have evidence that I use the Search function...

Anywho, I have a 16” 300BO home build that I deer hunt with. I love the thing. Only issue is that it dents the case mouth of the brass. Good ejection at about 4 o’ clock though. I have some tungsten enroute so I can play with buffer weights, but then I foolishly watched Geissele’s 30 minute dissertation on buffer springs while ago. So my question for Mr. Sparks and others who have tried the Super 42 is, is it worth the money? Also, how do we think these would work in something like an 8”or 10.5” 300BO set-up (I have both). Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Necroing pretty hard here, but at least you have evidence that I use the Search function...

Anywho, I have a 16” 300BO home build that I deer hunt with. I love the thing. Only issue is that it dents the case mouth of the brass. Good ejection at about 4 o’ clock though. I have some tungsten enroute so I can play with buffer weights, but then I foolishly watched Geissele’s 30 minute dissertation on buffer springs while ago. So my question for Mr. Sparks and others who have tried the Super 42 is, is it worth the money? Also, how do we think these would work in something like an 8”or 10.5” 300BO set-up (I have both). Thanks in advance.
    It will do you no good to fuss with buffer weights & action springs if the extractor, ejector & gas drive isn't right
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It will do you no good to fuss with buffer weights & action springs if the extractor, ejector & gas drive isn't right
    Roger dat. Sooo, at the risk of incurring supreme thread drift, would anyone care to speak to, or point to a resource, as to how to parse out how to know when the extractor, ejector, or gas is running amuck?

User Tag List