Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffers and Springs

Buffers and Springs

Sprinco Blue spring and a Spikes ST-T2 buffer to smooth out an M&P 15. What do ya'll think?

What is it doing that makes you think it needs smoothed out?

I always keep one of each buffer on hand to see what happens, a few springs on hand won't hurt either, but there are lots of variables.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I put a Damage Industries chrome silicon in my M&P15 and it's great. (And very inexpensive.) They seem to go on sale pretty often as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What is it doing that makes you think it needs smoothed out?

I always keep one of each buffer on hand to see what happens, a few springs on hand won't hurt either, but there are lots of variables.
    Nothing really I just fried a guy's rifle at the range and it's seamed to cycle a lot smoother than mine. The only difference between the 2 rifles were those two components. Mine eats whatever ammo I put through it so I really don't want to do anything drastic to it. But if swapping those two parts lets me keep the same reliability and smooths it out I'm thinking it's a go. I guess what I'm asking is if doing this has any downsides?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Nothing really I just fried a guy's rifle at the range and it's seamed to cycle a lot smoother than mine. The only difference between the 2 rifles were those two components. Mine eats whatever ammo I put through it so I really don't want to do anything drastic to it. But if swapping those two parts lets me keep the same reliability and smooths it out I'm thinking it's a go. I guess what I'm asking is if doing this has any downsides?
    I'd start with the spring and see if you feel a need to make any additional changes. I still have the OEM buffer.
    I didn't even really need to change the spring but I do notice that it is both smoother and even quieter than it already was.
    Last edited by blues; 01-01-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I'd grab the standard buffers, H, H2, etc, and a few springs just to have. Try them all and see where you land between smoothness and reliability.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Ordered the sprinco white standard spring and blue enhanced. My buddy has an H and an H2 I can try so I ordered the Spikes ST-T2 to give it a try. The listed weight has it in between an H and an H2 so I'm curious if it might be in the sweet spot. Especially since I've been known to shoot some weak Wolf and Tula.

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 01-01-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Chances are your rifle is intentionally overgassed so it will function with lower pressure .223 loads. The best way to address the problem is with an adjustable gas block, preferrably one from SLR Rifleworks. It allows you to reduce the volume of gas ported to your BCG, which reduces BCG velocity , recoil and muzzle jump. A heavier buffer increases reciprocating mass which increases muzzle jump.

Brass ejected from your rifle should not strike the brass deflector on the upper receiver.

Weaker ammo may not properly cycle your rifle if you install a heavier buffer.

Buffers and springs are bandaids and snake oil. Adjustable gas blocks are an unnecessary failure point at one of the most critical points of keeping it a semi-automatic rifle. If it runs, leave it alone. If you want it to shoot flatter, screw on a comp/brake. If you want to change components, buy a barrel with a correctly-sized gas port.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List