Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Optics for the home defense carbine

Quote Originally Posted by GMSweet View Post
    I've got a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 with a simple FireDot circle reticle. I looked at other fixed power prism scopes, but for the weight the Leupold gives me a nice crisp bright dot backed up with an etched reticle and extra reach when outside. BTW, the weight difference between the Aimpoint Pro and the VX-R is only the weight of the scope mount. Aimpoint lists the weight with the mount and lens covers at 11.6oz which is the same as the Leupold.
    I use the VX-R Patrol on my "universal carbine" as well and concur with the above statement. No doubt there are better scopes available but they are generally 1.5 - 2X the weight. My 16" mid length carbine uses a BCM ELW BFH upper and MBUS PRO offset BUIS and weighs 7.5 pounds. With near 1 MOA precision using a variety of ammo, I consider it an ideal set up for 10 to 300 yard engagements.

While a G17C/APL remains my primary HD weapon, I have recently put together a "pistol" using a BCM pistol lower and a BCM 11.5" 5.56 ELW upper. I swapped out the BCM buffer with a shorter MVB Micro Pistol Kit and am running a set of DD iron sights. At 26" in OAL and well under six pounds including a WML, I am finding it an intriguing set up to fill a HD/PDW role. With a target illuminated the irons are fast to pick up. At in-house distances, simply looking over the top of the rear sight and using just the front sight is quick and more than accurate enough for MOM hits - assuming a reasonable cheek weld is attained on the buffer tube. No doubt this is an aspect that an RDS offers some advantage.

I also concur that a laser/WML combo (such as a SF X400) could be an even better solution than a RDS in a in-the-house-close-range scenario.

Aimpoint, Aimpoint, and Aimpoint. In that order lol.

FYI: I took a fresh 16" build to the range recently to test fire. No optics, nor irons mounted, just kinda used the top rail to aim. At 20 feet, all of my shots were making it into a 3-4" group. Any quality red dot will suffice at reasonable HD distances, no need to agonize over the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    What makes it sweet? Does he triangle obscure anything such as the bad guy's hands? I've never seen one of those in person.

Since 99% (my own made up stat) of HD scenarios will be at room distance I prefer an Aimpoint style dot or perhaps an EOTech style donut reticle for speed.
    I wrote a mini review of the optic a few years ago here: http://www.texasgunforum.com/index.php?topic=9539.0

I love that it is grab and go. I used to keep a carbine in my car for a couple of years - I didn't have to worry about the 160F+ inside the vehicle temps killing electronics over time - because there are none.

The triangle is not that big, but works great. Use the tip for precision shooting. Just cover the target with the triangle if you need to make a quick shot very fast.

It's also very durable. 10 year lifetime with the tritium, but I have seen people with older models say it is still usable at 15 years. And, it will ALWAYS work in the daytime. The tritium is just used in the dark and inside.

I used to change optics every 2 or 3 years anyway - so, 10 years for the Mepro 21 is good enough for me.

I tried one years ago and it sucked - but they revamped the design starting in 2012. Any one made since then has less wash out issues than they used to have.

For me, a low power variable. Why? In my dwelling, center the threat in the scope tube if illumination dies and the cross hairs dissappear somehow. But for outdoors? It's unbeatable. I'm much more likely to shoot an animal outside than a person inside. Also, confronting a hunter on property is much easier with a scoped rifle. I've never had to do it yet, but my dad did when I was younger. Things cam get dicy at times, and I don't want to be the guy with out glass.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Almost everything anyone writes here is opinion, especially in threads like these.

I run a T2 on my work carbine becasue that is what is issued. It works fine.

The 30mm aimpoints are superior in everyway except weight, if that matters to you. They're still pretty light. Aimpoint will tell you that the micros are simply not as rugged as the 30mm versions, so what Jay described is very real and quantifiable.

I prefer 30mm tubes to the micros, no question. I prefer real scopes to the aimpoints, but on a dedicated HD rifle, I would choose a Comp M2. I also prefer the 4moa dots for HD use, but the 2moa for more real world applicability, so...

Quick question, what position do you like running the 30mm Aimpoints? I find I prefer to run them closer to my eye then the micros. Just curious to see what you prefer, I don't do a lot of carbine stuff.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    I'm boring and have Astigmatism, so I run a T2 which has less distortion than the Pro or H1/T1 plus I can't justify a Kahles to my Wife right now
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

T2 isn't exactly inexpensive either (I know, buy once cry once). How does the MRO stack up against the T2 in the department?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    T2 isn't exactly inexpensive either (I know, buy once cry once). How does the MRO stack up against the T2 in the department?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    I'm not a fan of the slight magnification personally, but it's not a bad optic.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

I really like the MRO. The dot is crisp, and the field of view is larger.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I really like the MRO. The dot is crisp, and the field of view is larger.
    Do you have Astigmatism too?
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List