Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics for the home defense carbine

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    I love my Mepro 21 with triangle reticle on my SCAR 16S. I have owned 6 of these optics over the years - on guns I later sold, so I sold the optic.

I don't like it with the bullseye reticle - but with the triangle, it is sweet...

Battery free - no on/off switch. Just grab and go. And, it has less washout issues compared to years ago

What makes it sweet? Does he triangle obscure anything such as the bad guy's hands? I've never seen one of those in person.

Since 99% (my own made up stat) of HD scenarios will be at room distance I prefer an Aimpoint style dot or perhaps an EOTech style donut reticle for speed.

I really think the rds is a great civilian option. I have two aimpoint pros and am very happy with both. One has been on the same battery for well over a year, no issues over thousands of rounds. I look forward to the day I can put reliable mrds on my pistols, it is truly a great fighting tool.

Almost everything anyone writes here is opinion, especially in threads like these.

I run a T2 on my work carbine becasue that is what is issued. It works fine.

The 30mm aimpoints are superior in everyway except weight, if that matters to you. They're still pretty light. Aimpoint will tell you that the micros are simply not as rugged as the 30mm versions, so what Jay described is very real and quantifiable.

I prefer 30mm tubes to the micros, no question. I prefer real scopes to the aimpoints, but on a dedicated HD rifle, I would choose a Comp M2. I also prefer the 4moa dots for HD use, but the 2moa for more real world applicability, so...

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an Aimpoint for one of my 16" middy BCMs, with the plan to add an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in a Larue swing mount. I really like the M4s, but I've heard the battery compartment blocks the swing mount, so it's out. I have a lead on a NIB M3--what's the pros/cons on the M3 vs. M4 for this role?

For what it's worth, I've had really good experience with the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot.

Aimpoint clone with 2 MOA and 50,000 hrs battery life... set it and forget it for $160.

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on an Aimpoint for one of my 16" middy BCMs, with the plan to add an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in a Larue swing mount. I really like the M4s, but I've heard the battery compartment blocks the swing mount, so it's out. I have a lead on a NIB M3--what's the pros/cons on the M3 vs. M4 for this role?
    I decided to go with the M3--was able to pick it up NIB for $400, which would be reason enough to pick it over the M4. I also like the lower profile of the M3 battery compartment as opposed to the larger AA compartment on the M4, and figured that the M3 mounting system would allow a little adjustment in getting the optic as close as possible to the magnifier. Now to start saving for said magnifier...

I decided to go with the M3--was able to pick it up NIB for $400, which would be reason enough to pick it over the M4. I also like the lower profile of the M3 battery compartment as opposed to the larger AA compartment on the M4, and figured that the M3 mounting system would allow a little adjustment in getting the optic as close as possible to the magnifier. Now to start saving for said magnifier...
    Good choice!

If this is an HD rifle, why would you need a magnifier? Do you have hundreds of yards of property outside your door?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Good choice!

If this is an HD rifle, why would you need a magnifier? Do you have hundreds of yards of property outside your door?
    Not going to be my primary HD rifle (that is a 6933 with an Aimpoint T2 and Surefire Scout), but I figured it was close enough to the topic at hand to post in here vs. starting a new thread, since I was looking for a quick answer before an auction ended.

aimpoint t1/2 is my setup and suggestion, as people buy the t2 some t1's are out on the market for a halfway decent price
    Last edited by eb07; 03-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Good choice!

Not going to be my primary HD rifle (that is a 6933 with an Aimpoint T2 and Surefire Scout), but I figured it was close enough to the topic at hand to post in here vs. starting a new thread, since I was looking for a quick answer before an auction ended.
    I never got around to it (opinions on the general topic changed) but when I was looking at re-vamping my AR collection my thought was to mount a PRO in such a way as to allow for a QD tip-over magnifier mount in the event that I wanted to actually, you know, take the gun out and shoot it.

I also figured that if I ever actually needed the gun for what I thought it was meant for and I had somehow left the magnifier attached it wouldn't negatively affect the use case.

In fact, at one of our training days I used to organize I had everyone bring their carry, car, home defense, etc. guns in exactly the condition they store/carry them in and found that my old M2 on my "home defense carbine" shut off under recoil which resulted in my "point shooting" the carbine, which in turn resulted in all A-zone hits at all distances remotely possible in any home I've ever lived in.

User Tag List