Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics for the home defense carbine

I'm a fan of the Aimpoint PRO/CompM3 series.

The carbine I have set up for my wife (11.5" BCM) has an Aimpoint Pro. That said, my current HD carbine (16" BCM) does not have an optic on it. My HD carbine sacrificed it's Aimpoint to go on the 11.5" BCM, and it's more important for my wife to have it than me. I don't notice a major difference in speed or accuracy between an Aimpont and Irons when I am practicing < 10 yards. Beyond 15 yards is a very different story.

Site Supporter
    We use H-1s at work but I'm partial to the 30mm tube aimpoints, particularly the Comp M4.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Please just add "in my opinion" to your blanket statement. The worth of a particular optic goes beyond just its price, imho.

If we're going to go down the rabbit hole of arguing what is and isn't worth the price paid there wouldn't be a civil discussion on this site (for very long).
    He said it, its an opinion, anyone with sense can tell that, no need to clutter it up stating the obvious.

And he's right.

Older 4moa t1 micro in a fixed DD mount with 12:00 mounted X300 (non HD) up front. The micro is always set on 8, which is a touch "bloomy" under normal room light conditions but just about perfect for my eyes in a darkened room with the surefire on.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It's too late now, but for the past two years LAPG has sold Aimpoint PROs for $360.40 during the Thanksgiving to Christmas consumer whore buying season. It's really hard to pass up a PRO at that price.
    I think I've seen comparable prices on optics planet as well when you take advantage of their various promotions and discounts. In fact I found a screaming deal on one there back when I was doing research and comparisons.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Any reason to look at a variable, 1-4 or 1-6 if it's only for home defense?
    Last edited by flux; 01-02-2017 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    Any reason to look at a variable, 1-4 or 1-6 if it's only for home defense?
    I'm a never been there, never done that guy, but for some reason I still feel like commenting...take it for what it's worth.

My nearing 44 year old eyes have both have an astigmatism. I don't require glasses full time yet, but I do have a pair that I wear occasionally if my eyes are feeling tired. For me, when looking through a red dot, I typically get a "cluster of grapes" view in the optic. The Aimpoint Pro gave me around a dime sized cluster of dots from the center trailing low right with each "grape" varying in brightness but not too different from the primary dot. The SIG Romeo 4B with the 65MOA circle/2MOA dot gave me an exact duplicate image just offset and overlapping low right at the same brightness. At less than 10 yards for a HD firearm I could make due, but I want something more versatile for me.

I've got a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 with a simple FireDot circle reticle. I looked at other fixed power prism scopes, but for the weight the Leupold gives me a nice crisp bright dot backed up with an etched reticle and extra reach when outside. BTW, the weight difference between the Aimpoint Pro and the VX-R is only the weight of the scope mount. Aimpoint lists the weight with the mount and lens covers at 11.6oz which is the same as the Leupold.

Just one guys take, and it will most likely get me killed on the streets, but there it is.

Site Supporter
    I also am having issues with aging eyes seeing red dots - I am also moving toward low power variable scopes and moving away from red dots. I would be interested in more comments about low powder variable scopes in home defense roles. I actually was thinking this week about replacing the red dot on my PCC like 9mm AR with a 1-4 or 1-6 scope.

I have a bit of astigmatism...don't need glasses outdoors, use 1.25 readers indoors on the computer or to read. (In natural light I don't need them for reading.)

When I look at the red dot on the H2 I see a dot with two small spikes, like a young buck would have. I know it's astigmatism as it remains in the same place if I rotate the optic.

When I spoke with other owners of the current 2nd gen H and T models, (as well as during a lengthy discussion with Aimpoint), I was told that the current generation is much crisper for folks with astigmatism due to improvements in both optics and coatings. Completely forgot about that when I was discussing the reasons why I felt the upgrade was worth the additional expense in an earlier post.

Further reason for doing some research and ideally get a chance to look through the optic (if possible) before making a decision.

I haven't explored beyond 1x optics as the environment for my intended usage, (home and property), is heavily wooded and unless I am on a roof or climb a tree there is no way I am going to see 200 yards unless I'm laying on a straight section of road wherever I might find one. As a result, I have the Aimpoint zeroed for 100 yards which requires only a hold over never exceeding 2.5" from point blank out to 200 yards.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by GMSweet View Post
    I'm a never been there, never done that guy, but for some reason I still feel like commenting...take it for what it's worth.

My nearing 44 year old eyes have both have an astigmatism. I don't require glasses full time yet, but I do have a pair that I wear occasionally if my eyes are feeling tired. For me, when looking through a red dot, I typically get a "cluster of grapes" view in the optic. The Aimpoint Pro gave me around a dime sized cluster of dots from the center trailing low right with each "grape" varying in brightness but not too different from the primary dot. The SIG Romeo 4B with the 65MOA circle/2MOA dot gave me an exact duplicate image just offset and overlapping low right at the same brightness. At less than 10 yards for a HD firearm I could make due, but I want something more versatile for me.

I've got a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 with a simple FireDot circle reticle. I looked at other fixed power prism scopes, but for the weight the Leupold gives me a nice crisp bright dot backed up with an etched reticle and extra reach when outside. BTW, the weight difference between the Aimpoint Pro and the VX-R is only the weight of the scope mount. Aimpoint lists the weight with the mount and lens covers at 11.6oz which is the same as the Leupold.

Just one guys take, and it will most likely get me killed on the streets, but there it is.
    I have similar issues, but the use of "home defense" implies to me that we are talking about in-home, possibly in-yard, shooting events that's will be <25 yards and probably <5, so thencluster is irrelevant.

User Tag List