Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics for the home defense carbine

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I use an Aimpoint on my HD rifle. Since you mentioned the RMR I thought I share a personal discovery. I have a rifle with an RMR06 and always thought the auto dim/bright feature was slick. My Aimpoint at an appropriate brightness indoors can easily be washed out by the sun should I need to go outside, requiring me to have the presence of mind to turn it up.

I was trying the RMR rifle inside with some dry fire and noticed that on auto the dot gets nice and dim in dark rooms. However when the weapon light is activated the dot is invisible. Just something to keep in mind if using the auto brightness.
    This is also something to keep in mimed when selecting the brightness level for your aimpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is also something to keep in mimed when selecting the brightness level for your aimpoints.
    I find that 5 or 6 is good for dark of night and still reasonably good for lighted conditions. Plus I can pick up the dot if I employ my white light.

That's where I leave mine set. Always on.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Optics for the home defense carbine

Trijicon MRO on mine.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-01-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have a Vortex Sparc II on my AR 9 Pistol ...That's my primary HD combine with my Glock 19

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aimpoint pro. Micros are not worth the cost for a HD carbine..

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Aimpoint pro. Micros are not worth the cost for a HD carbine..
    Please just add "in my opinion" to your blanket statement. The worth of a particular optic goes beyond just its price, imho.

If we're going to go down the rabbit hole of arguing what is and isn't worth the price paid there wouldn't be a civil discussion on this site (for very long).
    Last edited by blues; 01-01-2017 at 07:42 PM.

PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) in USPSA, is a great venue to get a bunch of shooting in with a carbine at home defense distances. It is also an interesting place to sort out how different optics work in the muzzle to 35 yard envelope.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Please just add "in my opinion" to your blanket statement. The worth of a particular optic goes beyond just its price, imho.

If we're going to go down the rabbit hole of arguing what is and isn't worth the price paid there wouldn't be a civil discussion on this site (for very long).
    Sorry I wont, but I think I get where your coming from. 30mm aimpoints are their most proven and battle tested optic, micros seem to be fine also. Micros are light and look high speed, they also have a narrowed field of view and demand almost 2x the cost. What reasons besides weight, which for most of us (civilians or FAGS) doesn't matter anymore, does a micro add? I know the T2 looks pretty good behind a magnifier but that is about it.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 01-01-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Sorry I wont, but I think I get where your coming from. 30mm aimpoints are their most proven and battle tested optic, micros seem to be fine also. Micros are light and look high speed, they also have a narrowed field of view and demand almost 2x the cost. What reasons besides weight, which for most of us (civilians or FAGS) doesn't matter anymore, does a micro add? I know the T2 looks pretty good behind a magnifier but that is about it.
    The weight and balance matter to me. I train with both eyes open so I work on my FOV and peripheral vision. I can afford a micro and the difference in price at the time I bought from LaRue compared to what the PRO was going for was insignificant when the time frame I hope to own it for was factored in, let alone the cost of ammunition over various periods of time.

The clarity of the optic (the H2 has brighter and truer color, (I forget the correct term) updated coatings and electronics compared to the PRO and earlier micros) etc.

In the end we can argue all day about what makes one gun, optic, knife, pack, holster etc worth more to an individual whether in some measurable way or as a matter of opinion.

Whether you agree or not, and I respect your opinion, it's still your opinion and not some ironclad law. In my personal opinion, the amount more I paid for the H2 over the PRO (which I had ordered and canceled) was worth it. I still think the PRO is a great optic. I simply chose the one which was right for me.

No hard feelings whether you agree with me or not and it's not my intent to derail the discussion further.
    Last edited by blues; 01-01-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Optics for the home defense carbine

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Start with an Aimpoint in your price range that has the tube size you like and then go from there.
    This and I'd offer similar advice if one wants to try any of the 1x4/6 type optics.

I prefer a 1x4 on my rifles whether it's designated as a home defense rifle or for other purposes.
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 01-01-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

User Tag List