Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back pocket medical kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

Part of my new year's outlook is to be better prepared in general. I'm taking a trauma aid course, and am in the process of researching and acquiring an ankle trauma kit. I'm just a normal civilian father and office worker. Nothing special. I'd like to have some sort of very minimalist medical kit I can put into the back pocket of my shorts, pants or jeans as an option if the ankle kit is not doable. Is this even a reasonable idea or will it be so small as to be useless? I'm thinking some sort of thin nylon pouch about the size of a large wallet and not too thick. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with something like this? Thanks for the help.

Chris
    Just wear cargo shorts, and keep "minimal" gear in one of the pockets. That's what I do. Minimal to me is one CAT tourniquet, Hyfin chest seals, and
    a Z-Pak dressing.

A lot of guys will build their own set of stuff and then vacuum seal it to a shape of their liking.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I pack gloves, celox or quikclot ribbon, a SOFTwide and one of the small sized Izzy dressings into one of the TacMed rigs and it isn't heavier than a loaded mag. I'm looking at getting one of the Ryker carriers when I have a bit of extra coin.
    I was about to gripe that the Tac Med Solutions rigs have been out of stock for most of the year, but I just checked their site and they're available again. Mine's coming up on two years old and it's starting to lose a bit of its stretchiness. Good news is that the wrap itself, without any of the components, is all of twenty bucks.

Basic = combat gauze z-fold and a tourniquet which easily fit in a pocket.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Ankle kit, vacuum sealed ifak in my murse, and a CLS sized bag in my vehicle.

If I'm wearing shorts, I typically put a swat-t in a pocket and call it good. Anything more than that is either, 1) too heavy and creates a pendulum effect in my cargo pocket when walking, 2) too bulky and obnoxious to sit on if it's in my back pocket.

YMMV.
    Ankle kits are pretty good to go now a days.

If you guys have not seen the Ryker Ankle kit I posted a few times, probably work checking out.

http://www.rykernylongear.com/produc...c-fd27c8af0c16

and my write up of stuff for it (and other med/gift stuff)

http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/12/gifts-y...ally-want.html
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Just got my second Ryker Ankle Med Kit. My first one ended up riding in the tablet sleeve of my message bag because it just worked so much better than a plastic bag. Second one is now in action on the ankle, running a little lighter stuff: combat gauze, RATS, NAR compact chest seals, small NAR shears, and a set of gloves. I wouldn't include chest seals in a pocket kit but the Ryker Ankle Kit has a slick way of holding them that adds comfort to the system.

I switched my EDC TQ to a RATS due to lighter weight and it works better on Kids having two crazy 18 month olds. Feel free to correct me if I have the info wrong. My bigger kits all have SOFT wides.

Highly recommend the Ryker. I hate stuff in my back pocket, cargo pants are not my thing, and my front pockets are full of cell phone, wallet, light, and gun.

I wish I could do an ankle thing but it just bothers me walking around. I just band a TQ to my belt every morning and then have a substantial IFAK in my bag.

Lord help me when all my med gear expires and I have to collect it all up to replace it ughh

Forgot to add...Get a large Magpul daka pouch for our carry bag. Put all your EDC big med kit stuff in it. Water resistant and thick will allow your med kit to stay viable if exposed.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Also ... if you haven't yet, take a red cross certified BCLS class on top of the course you're registered for. If you can, take it once a year.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. You gave me some good stuff to think about.
    Last edited by Chris17404; 01-03-2017 at 04:43 PM.

User Tag List